R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNecessary New RPod Add-ons?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Necessary New RPod Add-ons?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:31pm
I'm in the process of buying a 180 and the sales team is pushing a few additional items they say are must haves:

1: Slide Toppers (over slides to protect seals from tearing)
2:  All season covers for crank-up vents
3:  Surge protectors

Are these things good to have?  It might appear so, but are they fit especially for the RPod or are aftermarket products available that work as well or better?  I'm located in the Northeast and the trailer will be "garaged" during winter in an unheated garage.

Thanks for your thoughts.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:41pm
4Papa,
All this stuff can be bought and installed yourself over time, no rush. 

Slide out toppers are nice but not necessary, I put one on myself , bought it from my local dealer for under $200 or carefree brand online, they even show you how to measure for it and it took only 1 hour to install. (Pics in the link below)

All season cover for the Fan, I never needed one but they are easy to install and cost $35 everywhere. Some people swear by them. but then we don't get real rain here.

Surge protector,  if you travel and stay in RV parks Yes, If your a dry camper and only plug it in at home, not so much, but still a good idea, Cost around $100, and is a one time use, more expensive ones can be reset. I had my converter killed during a bad lighting storm in Devils den AR. and spent the rest of the trip charging while driving and with a small battery charger until I got home and bought a new converter. I now own one. 
Congrats on the 180!
Cheers ,John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 2:46pm
Thanks Voisj!  Exactly what I needed to know.  My dealer is hard-selling the add-ons.  Slide Topper, Vent Cover, Surge Protector, 2nd Battery and 100 watt solar... all items that would be nice to have, but not at their prices.  We're talking close to $2K for all of the above, installed.  As I got a great price on the camper, I told them I'd consider if they bundle it into the loan.
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:26pm
I completely agree with Voisj, wait, take a trip, if you need or want something while traveling most everything can be purchased on the road from Camping World and their prices a reasonable. If I'm correct that's about $600 worth of items they're trying to sell you for 2k.

NHpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by 4Papa

I'm in the process of buying a 180 and the sales team is pushing a few additional items they say are must haves:

1: Slide Toppers (over slides to protect seals from tearing)
2:  All season covers for crank-up vents
3:  Surge protectors

Are these things good to have?  It might appear so, but are they fit especially for the RPod or are aftermarket products available that work as well or better?  I'm located in the Northeast and the trailer will be "garaged" during winter in an unheated garage.

Thanks for your thoughts.
WOW, I can't believe it, I was just going to post the exact same question! , I just put a down payment on a 178 and got an email from the dealer with those 3 items listed.  I live in N. Central NH and am buying my Pod in Burlington, VT. Are you as well?

PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:34pm
I agree with voisj on the surge protector. I really balked at putting out $100 but it sure adds a layer of peace to camping. I mainly hit Michigan State Parks and sometimes there can be power surges or outages. It is also useful to plug this in first to see if the site actually has power before doing the full set up. Here is the model I use and I recommend it for sure: Progessive Industries SSP-30XL

JM
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:38pm
We heard the horror studies of campgrounds poor electrical connections and decided to go with surge protection.  The Progressive industries  HW30C is the best on the market ($229 Amazon).  It is hardwired and tells a bunch of things.  Its not just surge protection.  Sure enough on our second trip out it found something and tripped off.  There is a portable version but who wants to worry about it getting stolen.  Since we were going camping immediately upon picking up the RV we paid the dealer $150 to install it.  I would say it is a must have if you are going around and staying at campgrounds
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
NHpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

I agree with voisj on the surge protector. I really balked at putting out $100 but it sure adds a layer of peace to camping. I mainly hit Michigan State Parks and sometimes there can be power surges or outages. It is also useful to plug this in first to see if the site actually has power before doing the full set up. Here is the model I use and I recommend it for sure: Progessive Industries SSP-30XL

JM

Is this a one time use unit or can you reset it in the event of a power surge?
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:57pm
No all these units are constantly cycling through and will turn back on when there are no more faults detected.  If the faults are known you can turn the unit off to allow electricity through.  At our house the outlet in the garage is not properly grounded and the Progressive industries keeps shutting off so I just turn it off until I get the outlet repaired. More damage can be done by underpower than a surge which is a more common event at campsites and is why so many people recommend the higher priced HW30C.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 6:49am
NHpod, I'd say we're dealing with the exact same dealer. Go figure. I will say they gave me a fantabulous deal on the camper.  Might be why they're trying to make it up on over-priced options. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>