R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst timer questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First timer questions
    Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm

Hi all,

I just put a down payment on a 2018 178 R-Pod. This is my first RV. The largest things I have towed are a snowmobile and a boat trailer. So I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

I am going to buy a new truck to tow it with, probably an F-150  with a tow pkg and trailer brake control. I haven’t decided on which engine yet but from what I see any of them would be more than adequate to tow the Pod. I might also look at the Tundra but I think it will be the Ford.

Do I need a WDH/Sway hitch for this set-up? The dealer suggested an EAZ Lift R3 that they would install for $435. I see you can buy them online for around $300. If needed, are they difficult to install and do you just swap the 2-5/16 inch hitch ball for a 2”?

I have this Draw-Tite hitch ball mount. Can I use it with a 2 “ ball?

Is there a list of must-haves that I should buy before I go on my first camping experience?

Like a Water pressure regulator - I saw one at Walmart that said it was pre set to 40-50 lbs.

Electric adapter plugs , longer hoses and electric cord, etc.

Thanks.

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:48pm
Here is my list I used which was collected from multiple posts on this site:

RV Assessory Checklist (items you need to buy, should buy, or just some that are nice to have)

Extended warranty.  Do not buy third party.  Forest River sells a one year extended warranty for $150.00 The dealer makes no money off of it and may not tell you about it and try to sell you their version (which legally cannot be called a warranty – it is an extended service plan).  You must act quickly, as offer expires ten days after purchase!.  Call Forest River directly if dealer acts ignorant.  Dealer service plans are generally expensive and most reviews are negative.  Some dealers include a free unlimited warranty.  This is not a scam but may not be a good deal.  You have to bring you RV back to dealer once a year for $150 inspection to keep warranty active.  And then it does not really warranty the RV (leaks, axle breaks) but rather the components (refrig, heater).  Only worth buying at a dealer that includes it if they do not charge more for the RV.  One dealer who was $3000 more than another said, “but the warranty is free and that’s worth the $3000 difference!”

Brake controller – Even if TV has towing package it probably lacks a break controller.  Tekumsa P2 is highly rated but more expensive.  The less expensive the unit the more it has to be in a fixed position (i.e. parallel to ground).  It comes with wires to splice into TV however most tow packages already have the female harness so only need to buy male harness for your vehicle (around $18) then no searching for the correct wires to splice into, and you can remove unit at will.  An internet search for your TV will let you know where to find the hitch.  On our Jeep Cherokee it was hidden away and we could not find it until we found a UTube video demonstration.

Weight distribution (WDH) and anti sway

-Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch 10,000 lbs $408  includes 4 pt friction sway control.

-Blue OX is also highly rated.  It prevents sway instead of correcting it.  It is $600 and easier to connect.  Get 350 lb tongue weight version

Also popular is the Fastway E2 600 tongue weight model.  It is cheapest of the three

-There are numerous cheaper options.  But you may not be able to back up and/or do not have anti sway, only weight distribution.  Most people say anti-sway is required but WDH is not necessary as larger tow vehicles can handle it well.

Other items

White water hose (for drinking water only) 25’ Camco $9.97

Garden water hose (for black water flush and all other washing)

Water filter with right angle

Water pressure regulator

Y connector to attach two hoses to single water line

Oxy-Kem holding tank treatment.  Turn off vent fan when going to the bathroom.  Always wait until black tank is 2/3 full before emptying

Sewer hose 2 x 10’ is better than single 15 foot (Valterra D04-0275 newer version comes with clear elbow $50.50).  Reported to have less leaks than Camco model

Sewer elbow to connect to ground hole (comes with Valterra above)

Sewer elbow clear to connect to RV to see when water is clean Valterra T1026  $11.50 (also comes with Valterra above)

Sewer hose holder to keep hose slanted to ground Camco 43051 20’ $22.94

Disposable gloves for cleaning out holding tanks (or strong rubber gloves to re-use and save the environment)

NCVT Fluke volt alert (looks like a penlight)– standing on the ground touch the door frame or steps if there is voltage leak it will light up preventing a shock.  Do it when first setting up camp and connecting electric. Not needed if you get surge protection (see below)

Tire leveling plastic with chock for under tires

Plastic pads for stabilizers (Do not use wood)

Lock for trailer hitch to prevent someone from stealing your RV when left alone unhooked

Leveling guides. One type goes on hitch and turns to tell you how many inches to raise RV. Other types stick to side walls.

Propane tank gauge.  May need to get second tank but try it first with one tank.

Bug and rodent screens – Spiders in furnace, refrigerator and hot water heater can do damage.  Need to get screens for all vents.  Camco 42154 for Dometic refrigerator Pack of 6 vents $15.88.  Camco 42141 furnace vent screen 2 Pack $10.86. Camco 42145 Large screen for water heater $16.00

Lawn mat (Do not use plastic grass – stays wet) use porous material made for RVing

Dust broom with pan

Lanterns and flashlight

Spare fuses

BBQ Grill –  can get propane now that 2017.5 RV has quick connector

Propane hose extension 10 foot Camco $21.26 (not the standard size 3/8”).  Will need a bunch of adapters to fit your grill.

Sticky mats to keep things on the counter

Wood dowels to keep windows closed and locked – so they do not open during drives

Expandable drapery rods to put in refrigerator to hold food in place

Oxygenics  BodySpa RV shower kit – white (Model ETL26781) Amazon $31.13.  Sends water at higher pressure thus using less water for a shower.  Great product reviews, really works. Made for RV

OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:13pm
That is a long list of what-not!..
I tow my 178 with a f150 and regular old 2" ball. I have felt a little bounce but nothing that would make me think twice of going camping. I think most of that can be corrected with weight distribution of your gear in the trailer. Our first camp trip was dry camping with a 1 and 9 year old.. best time ever! Don't let the little details overwhelm you, this is camping.. think of what you would have if you were in a tent and how much more you have in the trailer. I recommend 2 6vs if dry camping, extra propane tank you can switch out on the fly, outdoor cook stove, good food and beer.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:21pm
FR does not offer the one year extended warranty any more.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 4:09am
I bought my 2017 179 in April of this year and got the Forest River 1 year extended warranty (1 additional year over the first year) for $150. Are we sure it changed since then? Many dealers won't mention this in order to sell pricier insurance. My first Rpod in 2016 the FR 1 yr was neglected to be mentioned by a different dealer.
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
NHpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

Here is my list I used which was collected from multiple posts on this site:

RV Assessory Checklist (items you need to buy, should buy, or just some that are nice to have)

WOW! thank you for such a comprehensive list!
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:08am
I got the extended warranty less than 2 months ago so it must have just changed or someone (dealer) is fib'n.  
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by marwayne

FR does not offer the one year extended warranty any more.

Yes, they do.  I just bought a 2018 and it was offered... I can still buy it if I want it.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:47am
As far as leveling your RV side to side I have the Andersen Camper Leveler. I can level my Pod by myself. Really neat system. Check it out. I have seen them from $29 - $50 so shop around. Level up to 4".

http://www.hitchsource.com/andersen-camper-leveler-p-36801.html?pn=8554521413&cn=shopping_andersen&ag=CamperLeveler&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzv7jwaPP1QIVFrnACh1ItQbCEAQYAiABEgJTwvD_BwE

Oxygenics BodySpa RV shower kit. Must have. Works fantastic.

Found this out the hard way. A grill is a great item but it must not have a regulator in the hose. Your Pod has a regulator and two in one line does not work. I bought the extra tank frame and when I install it I will tee off before the pod regulator with valve to by pass the pod regulator. You also might find a line that fits the quick connect and your grill with out the regulator. My grill has a 5/8" male connector and I have not been able to find one. Most grills must be 3/8".

I ask the dealer to install the levels. One front and one side at the front corner.

If you do not have a powered jack, get one. Cranking sucks. I bought mine for about $170 and it was worth every penny when it comes to connecting my load/sway control.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:07am
I tried the Oxygenics RV shower in my Casita camper and didn't like it, so returned it.  I know a lot of people recommend it, but my water pump didn't seem to have enough power to get a full spray.  I suspect the people that like it are using city water and not dry camping?  My factory shower head sprayed a lot better using my water pump.

That Anderson Camper leveler seems to work great, but you are limited to about a 4" lift.  My favorite camper leveler is the Bal Light trailer leveler.  Just use your drill that you use to drop your stabilizers and it's done in seconds:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-light-trailer-tire-leveler/21017
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>