Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRocky Mountain High

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rocky Mountain High
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 9:47pm
Beautiful pictures and write-up about my adopted state (lived in Denver for 35 years) and A+ on the high altitude advice as well (I'm a nurse). You didn't mention what road that is - I assume Trail Ridge Road? If so- it generally closes around Labor Day due to snow.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:15pm
+1 on the write-up.  Thumbs Up
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 1:37pm
Thanks to all.  Yes, Tusten, a couple of the pictures were from the Trail Ridge Rd.  No doubt they do close it after Labor Day.  Yourself and Dragonflies might be better able to advise yizit than myself.  I would encourage June, July, or August.

Grandpod - I love the Smoky Mts. and have been there many times....it's hard to beat the Smokies in the fall.  I usually camp at Cosby but have been to most all of them.  The last time I went was in the fall of 2007.  I went to Cosby, stayed a couple of nights and then drove over near Cherokee to one end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I drove the entire lenght, along with Skyline Drive, in Shenandoah Nat'l Park.  I over-nighted about midway and stayed 3 nights at Shenandoah.  It was a beautiful drive and trip.  At the time, my C.A.V. was a Coleman Popup and it was very easy to pull on the Parkway. I am "due" to go back, since I haven't been in a couple of years.   

Again, thanks to all for you kind words.

Hope to see you "out there"  
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 2:35pm
Estes park (the east entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park) can get pretty crowded in the summer. A better (and I think prettier in many ways) alternative is to start an adventure into the park is from the west entrance- Granby/ Grand Lake area. You will still be able to travel along Trail Ridge Road- the highest continuous paved road in the US it climbs above 12,000 feet altitude but is easy to drive and has absolutely awesome scenery. You are more likely to see the elusive Bighorn Sheep there than anywhere.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:31am
  I was on Trail Ridge Road, back in '86.  I wouldn't recognize the name but I remember the "highest paved road" bit.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 12:20pm
I agree with you (about side winds and boring flat stretches) if you are trailering on I-80 thru Nebraska.  But I hate hauling the Pod on a freeway. It overtasks my SUV, mileage, and trailer control if I try to do 70-75!  I prefer smaller highways at 50-55 mph. If I have the time traveling in Nebraska, I prefer US-20 in the north part of the state. It tends to follow the Niobrara River. There are a number of National Forests and wildlife areas (elk and bison) along the route.  The river is usually crystal clear, fairly shallow (great for flat-water kayaking or canoeing).  There are boating outfitters that will drop you off and pick you up. And a considerable number of camping spots...but not KOA types!
TIDALWAVE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 4:41pm
Thanks for "chiming in", Tusten.  Tidalwave - I solved my horsepower problem by buying a new truck with a V8.  I would love to travel the backroads and probably will when I retire.  Right now, there is only so much vacation time and so many places to see.
OK...since you insist....here's 2 more pictures.  It's time for someone else to open up the picture albulm/scrapbook and treat the rest of us.

Heading over to the West side of the Park, via Trail Ridge Rd.  I didn't have my glasses on, but the sign said something about a "Great Divide".  This is an imaginary line running thru the planet that separates;
those who think we should ONLY talk about Pods and those who feel otherwise.  Due to picture cropping, not seen are the interested parties throwing rocks at each other, across the line.  (Sorry..I couldn't resist..BAD David, BAD!  Evil Smile )

If memory serves, this is one picture from the Western side of the Park.  And with that, if you want to see more, you'll have to hitch up your Pod and drive!

(Everyone - with gusto)

"Colorado Rocky Mountain High
I've seen it rain'in fire in the sky
Friends around the campfire and everybody's high
Rocky Mountain high...in Colorado...."   John Denver

Hope to see you "out there"
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:19pm
Bravo David!  Great photos.  Thanx for sharing.  Clown
four peas
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:00pm
LOLCool
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 2:33pm
LOVE Estes Park. Our children live in Ft. Collins. We go up most every year, not to camp, but for mating time of the elk. I contiune to marvel at the hi pitched squeek of the thundering males. Wonder why God made them that way.Big smile 
And living on the "tacky" side here in Gatlinburg, I fell in love with Red Feather up on the continental   divide.Wink Have lived here for 40 years, I have blinders on!!! But we do have places, if you know them, that take you away from all the trash. Like my front yard that is the Park.

Are you the person with "the wolf signature" that has a german shepard? My best bud is a woman With a true Wolf. The most intelligent, sweetest creature.

And your pictures are splendid.                                     
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>