Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSchoodic Woods Campground, ME

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schoodic Woods Campground, ME
    Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:27pm
I am thinking about our first trip in our new 178 R-Pod ( picking it up on the 21st). Schoodic Woods Campground, ME is about 5+ hours away and thought it might be a good place to try as our first camping experience. I see there are 2 sections, A+B. B has both water and electric whereas A section has just electric. It looks like B is more for large motorhomes where A is for tents and smaller RVs. There are no shower facilities.

Having never camped in an RV before, would staying at a site with no water hookup for 2-3 days be an issue? 
Do you arrive with empty water tanks and fill up somewhere in the park before you go to your site?

Has anyone been there? is one section nicer than another?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:03pm
We stayed over that way back in May, we were at the KOA- Oceanside on Acadia. Had a great time !! Beautiful area!! They have a lot of great restaurants there also!! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by NHpod

Having never camped in an RV before, would staying at a site with no water hookup for 2-3 days be an issue? 
Do you arrive with empty water tanks and fill up somewhere in the park before you go to your site?
Thanks

Fresh water is usually not the biggest concern. Needing to dump the (full) grey tank is. With a fresh water hook up, you have an unlimited supply of fresh but, a limited/defined grey tank capacity....you can still only use "so much". Most try to limit showers to 5 gallons or less per use. So, if you have 2 persons staying 3 days, that would equal 6 showers or 30 gallons. With practice, 4 gallons or less can be done. Add to this, any other grey water such as, dish washing.

Usually, I'll travel with a small amount of water in the fresh tank, for potty stops along the way. It just makes for less towing weight. Filling the fresh, before parking in the campsite, is usually not an issue. Everybody needs to and there is usually someplace to do it.

Beyond that, it is really just personal preference. I would lean towards the electric only sites. If you do use the electric & water sites, a water pressure reducer would be a good thing to use.

NHpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by David

Fresh water is usually not the biggest concern. Needing to dump the (full) grey tank is. With a fresh water hook up, you have an unlimited supply of fresh but, a limited/defined grey tank capacity....you can still only use "so much". Most try to limit showers to 5 gallons or less per use. So, if you have 2 persons staying 3 days, that would equal 6 showers or 30 gallons. With practice, 4 gallons or less can be done. Add to this, any other grey water such as, dish washing.

I never thought of that, but it makes so much sense! They don't have sites with sewer hook up so I may as well go for the electric only. Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply