FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar - Event Date: 01 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Solar
    Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 1:47pm
2017 179 solar

What is required to out the R-Pod for solar operation.
179 Honda Ridgeline
! Black Lab
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 1:58pm
You have two choices I guess.

Most go with a portable suitcase type arrangement, they are plug and play, having the charge controller, panels, and stand, all in one easy to move and carry package. Main advantage is you can place them in the sun, regardless of Pod alignment etc. (within reason of course, they have a cord) and it's generally "plug and play". downside is the panels are not secured.

You can also go with a hard wired solution, mounting panels on the roof, (the rear door models are pretty much the better platform for this, as they have more flat roof) a controller inside where convenient, then that wired to the battery(ies). Downside is, you can't align or point the panels at the sun, or track it, without moving the whole pod, and you have to drill some holes in your pod roof, and sides or floor. Upsides include Security, and the ability to choose components yourself if you want.

Please note, solar ONLY charges the battery. That keeps your 12v systems up and running. Without spending a LOT of money, you can't build a system that can run the 120v side of things safely.
Tumble Weed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:13am
Thanks. I'm a doer. My main interest was is there a controller on board to regulate the charge. Forest River built a mystery TT you have to figure it out on your own. Or the help of this blog.
179 Honda Ridgeline
! Black Lab
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Tumble Weed

Thanks. I'm a doer. My main interest was is there a controller on board to regulate the charge. Forest River built a mystery TT you have to figure it out on your own. Or the help of this blog.
My personal opinion was that FR wanted to sell the Zamp (or whatever) "solar solution", and provided minimum clues about how things were wired.

What we've discovered is that the "zamp connector" just goes straight to the batteries, and that any solar solution should include the panels plus the controller.

My inclination is to install a wide-range MPPT controller between the batteries and the zamp connector. Then you can hook up a wide range of panels to power things up. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by Tumble Weed

My personal opinion was that FR wanted to sell the Zamp (or whatever) "solar solution", and provided minimum clues about how things were wired.

What we've discovered is that the "zamp connector" just goes straight to the batteries, and that any solar solution should include the panels plus the controller.

My inclination is to install a wide-range MPPT controller between the batteries and the zamp connector. Then you can hook up a wide range of panels to power things up. 

What would solve allot of these wiring issues as to whether or not you have a built in charge control (which from what has been said here we do not) is that Forest River would give you a wiring schematic to your Pod. I've asked them received zilch back from FR which makes me think what the h*ll is it some state secret? Shocked
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply