Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter Storage Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Storage Ideas
    Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:16pm
We are in SW Montana and wondering what everyone does with their R-Pod in winter.  Store in a garage or covered storage?  Store outside under a trailer cover?  Just leave outside in the elements?  We get quite a bit of snow.  

I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Thank you ~

Pattie

ModMontana
2017 R-178; '11 Ford F-150 FX4
And 2 yellow golden labs
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:32pm
Not in anywhere as sever winters as you have Pattie so hopefully those in the "Great White North" that have hard winters can respond to you question. As for me unfortunately I do not have a large enough garage/shed for my Pod so it will be a cover over it and most likely pull the battery to keep indoors. Batteries don't like extreme temperature changes.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 9:37am
We have owned an Rpod since 2009, we have pretty rough winters with cold temps and a fairly good amount of snow. When we first bought our 1st pod we took the winterizing class that the dealership offered. The tech advised to leave the vent partially open, not to cover it and regularly brush the snow off the roof. We have done that and never had any problems with either pod. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 9:55am
I learned from our first truck camper that sunlight is not your friend.  I drive by storage lots with RVs out in the sunshine and just shudder.  I fortunately now have a barn so all I have to do is blow out the water lines.  And a concrete floor and a wheel on the front of the rPod. 
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:50pm
I bought a Classic Accessories cover from Amazon for ~$120 and it lasted three years.  I just purchased a replacement poly version, which should last even longer, for $139.
We have a lot of wind and rough Wyoming mountain weather here, and it held up very well for the price, I think. 
I missed covering a couple sharp edges with duct tape or it would be good for one more year.  I put old sox over the ends of the TV antenna so it wouldn't wear there.  That's the key with the cover, cover the sharp edges, and don't forget the fenders.
Last winter we had a record over 200 inches of snow and high winds and it was literally buried for months.  The top held up very well, the sharp edges were on the tracks for awnings that I missed, and being stretched out like it was from Nov thru March it cut through when I pulled the cover off this spring.   
Always better to go indoors with it, but I'm too cheap to rent a place, and it has always come out nice and clean with the cover.  
Also, I wash it with RV wash I buy at WalMart, and use a soft brush on a long handle to scrub it clean, before I put the cover on to make sure there is no dirt or dust under there to scratch the finish.  RV wash really puts a shine on there, with very little effort.

ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 3:09pm
We get some nasty winter weather here as well.  For us the unit gets winterized, washed and covered with a classic cover - and then don't move it!  We cover all the sharp points with pieces of swimming noodle so the cover doesn't get wrecked.  Last winter was our first with a Pod having graduated up from pop-ups. Thus far no problems with either types of units and this spring the Pod emerged from under the cover and for the most part was still pretty clean.  We also throw in some anti-rodent bags we purchased from the dealer....keeps those mice out!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
RockyMtns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:17pm
We get a good bit of snow and low temps here in Northern Colorado, I have always left RV's out in the elements and just ran a electric heater when it snows heavy.. It melts the majority of snow off the roof, no problem. We even camp in RV's during the winter, all you need is dual batteries and dual propane tanks and your set for the winter weekends in a R-Pod!
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:14pm
well we built a 25x32 foot building  20 years ago to store rv's in plus other junk sometimes we have to have a clean out of junk to get the rv in  
 Post Reply Post Reply