R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 5:31pm
My wife and I just got back from our first trip with our brand new 180.  The fridge, was a joke to say the least.  The trailer was plugged into power for a week before the trip, and the fridge itself had been running on propane the entire time so,it should have been plenty cooled before we loaded it with food straight out of our house fridge, nothing warm got put in it.  I never even thought to check the temp before we left, but when we got to our destination a few hours away, we knew we were going to have a problem.  I checked the temp of the fins in the freezer compartment and they were 55 degrees, the fins in the main fridge compartment were 65 degrees and all the food was warm.   

Luckily I have an Edgestar 12 volt fridge in my truck that I was able to transfer the important food into.   We pulled our waters and drinks out of the truck fridge and stuck them in the trailer fridge, which should have helped it out, then left it cranked up the entire time and it never cooled down.  The door is shut tight, the burner is burning, the muffin fan in the back is running non stop, trailer is level, and it just won't get cold.  We had hot temperatures of around 100 to 105 the entire trip and the fridge would get about 10 degrees cooler at night when the air cooled down, but still nowhere even the acceptable level.   

Any ideas on what could be wrong, dead thermistor, poor ammonia charge, or did we simply get a dud??

spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 5:54pm
Join the club.  I've fought this problem all summer and discovered the Dometic is only capable of cooling about 45 degrees below ambient temp on LP and about 48 degrees below ambient temp on Electricity.  I had mine back to the dealer and they had it out twice, working with Dometic.  It works fine in their shop where it's cooler and in the shade, but as soon as they put it back in the pod it won't keep up.  Dometic claims it's Forest River's fault (they didn't install them properly.) . Forest River won't even reply to my dealer (a Forest river dealer, by the way) when he sends them all the information on the tests he ran and Dometics take on the problem.  They won't talk to me about the problem, neither FR nor Dometic.  I discovered it was slightly more efficient if I pulled both vents off the trailer, then I discovered that by adding two fans to the top vent it does work better. Today it's 90 degrees and I'm getting 43.5 degrees in the refer on LP.  I could get it down to about 41 on electricity (42 is considered the limit for dairy products).  In the past, all absorption refers were more efficient on LP than on Electricity, but several of us on here have complained that LP is the worst of the 3.  Camping is not viable with an absorptions refrigerator until the OAT gets down to about 85 degrees for your daily high.  Like you I carry a real refrigerator/freezer (Engel), 12volt in my truck.  I got so tired of the Dometic in my last RV that I installed a built-in Engel in the RV and threw away the Dometic.  BTW, mine is a brand new 2018 RP176.  Without the fans running, right now instead of 43.5 degrees I'd be running 48 degrees.  When it was 99 degrees outside, without fans mine wouldn't get below about 51-57 degrees.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm
How did you power it on the road?  12v can be iffy, depending on your TV wiring.  If there is a problem with the fridge it should be under warranty, right?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:12pm
2-year warranty, but Dometic says "it works fine on the bench but not in the camper...that means it's Forest River's fault.  NO WARRANTY FROM US."  My truck has a towing package with a larger alternator so powering the 12 volts on the road is no problem.  For those guys that complain that their alternator on their TV can't keep up have no option but to run on LP, or don't camp in weather hotter than 85 degrees, or buy a real 12 volt refrigerator and either replace the Dometic or carry it along for a backup. (that's what I'm currently doing.)
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:36pm
I have never had any warranty issues with FR or Dometic, so no idea how that would work, but I would think FR or the dealer would take care of something like this.  Sorry, I didn't follow the thread about your fridge very carefully, but how did Dometic know it worked on the bench? 

In any case, right or wrong, I suspect a different dealer could make all the difference.

More important, there must be thousands of Dometic fridges out there, and this forum hears a lot of problems.  Like anything else, nothing is 100%, but we don't see a whole lot about fridge problems.  Mine has been working fine since 2010.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:37pm
I'm running it on propane, I lived in trailers and toter homes traveling all over the country for about 7 years and found propane to be the most efficient, easiest to deal with set it and forget it setup out there.... until now.  I've never had a problem with it before, just regular maintenance and everything stayed cold just as it should.  Funny that my 1977 Layton trailer with the original fridge will freeze soda cans to the point of bursting as soon as you go past setting 5 out of 10 in the same weather, but this brand new latest and greatest can't get below 60 degrees.  

We mentioned putting a 12v compressor fridge in there instead, but it's a little rediculous that we should even have to consider that immediately after spending 20k on a brand new trailer.  
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:43pm
Also, I noticed the same difference of a few degrees cooler with both vents removed, but it's still not even close to being able to keep food.   I find it ironic that a product designed to keep food protected from the heat, doesn't work when there's heat...
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 6:46pm
I've owned a couple dizen Res and never found a single door refer that would keep up in 90+ degree weather. The double door ones seem fine. Most people on this forum that claim theirs work ok are not camping in 95-100 degree temps.

To answer Tars Tarkas question, Dometic knew it is on the bench because the dealer was working closely with Dometic on the phone while running all the tests with Dometic's tech. Another dealer couldn't do more than that. !
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:45pm
Right now it's dead on 100 degrees outside. The fridge is 57, and the freezer is 45. I fired up my 1977 Layton's fridge just for comparison's a few hours ago, and it is already cooler than the brand new one. I'll look for a nearby dealer on Tuesday and see if I can get it checked out because this just isn't going to work
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Casey

Right now it's dead on 100 degrees outside. The fridge is 57, and the freezer is 45. I fired up my 1977 Layton's fridge just for comparison's a few hours ago, and it is already cooler than the brand new one. I'll look for a nearby dealer on Tuesday and see if I can get it checked out because this just isn't going to work

Please post on here and/or PM me if they find out why.  My dealer worked for two weeks on it and gave up.  Dometic wouldn't take responsibility (so he didn't get paid anything for all the work he did.)  I had it there twice and he had the fridge out of the camper twice running the same tests both times.  The first time on his own and the second time with a dometic tech on the phone with him. I've given up and it's not an isolated problem.  Besides you and me there have been a number of guys weigh-in about the exact same problem.  Of course a lot of guys are saying theirs work fine, but I doubt any of those were in 95+ degree temps.  I find if it stays below 85 degrees outside I can maintain 39-41 degrees during the day and I've seen it get down to 27 degrees at night when it's 62-65 degrees outside.  That was on 120 volts.  It gets down to 31 degrees on LP.  BTW, at 100 degrees outside you are getting the exact same temp that I was getting.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>