R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:59pm
At least they're consistent then!   If that's as good as it gets, we'll look into yanking the whole thing out and putting in a 12v compressor fridge like I have in my truck, I'd be able to fit more in that anyways. A pretty decent size fridge should be able to fit in there on a slide and still be able to get another storage shelf between it and the microwave
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 8:04pm
I'm thinking I'll do that too but I'm waiting for cooer weather to start using my new pod so I don't have that problem. But I'll always take my Engel freezer/refer along for backup. I've got a ton of room under the front bed to add as many AGM Batteries to the system as I'll need to run a 12v refer for a week at least.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 9:04pm
This is very interesting. I have a 179 2014 and I have had nothing but problems with my RM8501 frig. I just didn't want to complain about, but it too just got worse. 
I am also thinking of a replacement. I've been using coolers and ice, lots of ice. 
It still runs good on AC but not at all on gas.

spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by funks

This is very interesting. I have a 179 2014 and I have had nothing but problems with my RM8501 frig. I just didn't want to complain about, but it too just got worse. 
I am also thinking of a replacement. I've been using coolers and ice, lots of ice. 
It still runs good on AC but not at all on gas.

Have you cleaned the burner jet (orifice)?  I have post on here yesterday that tells you how to do that.  Another guy posted that after he cleaned his jet and added a 2-stage regulator it solved his problems.  I have a factory 2-stage regulator and I cleaned the jet (brand new 2018 model, but clutching at straws here) and it had no affect.  Yours is old enough you should clean the jet.   once a year according to Dometic.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 11:39pm
I cleaned my RM8501 burner and baffle that showed very little signs of needing it. I also installed a new orifice.  I even purchased a new gas regulator. The problem I have now is gas will not pass through the gas solenoid valve. The stove burners have good gas flow. 
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 11:46pm
Do you know the solenoid is working?  Did you blow out the gas lines when you had them off?
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 11:53pm
Here is how to test your gas pressure with a DYI manometer:
http://www.warehouseappliance.com/?t=How-To-Test-Gas-Pressure&post=75465820355399b73641a3
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:08am
We ended up doing the same thing of packing all our drinks in an ice chest, and luckily had the fridge in the truck for food. It was kind of annoying have to go and get ice when we had two fridges. With my old trailer we would always pack the food in the trailer fridge, and drinks in the truck fridge, since drinks are what we would normally need on trips and exploring throughout the day, and meals were eaten back at camp. But this time we ended up packing all our Friday around for the day.

Speaking of that old trailer, I just went out and checked the temp after firing it up on propane this morning, after a 104 degree day it is now 21 degrees in the freezer and 32 in the main fridge. Now I'm trying to convince my wife to let me put the ancient wood paneling fridge in our brand new trailer
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:15am
I just had an idea. If the lack of a temperature difference across the condenser coils in the back of the fridge is the problem.... Why not blow COLD air across them??   If we're camping when it's that hot, we have the AC on. When the AC is running it is pumping cold air into the trailer, and all that extra air needs to exit somewhere. I need to find a way to channel it across the back of the fridge, and then out the upper fridge vent. That would put plenty of nice cool air across the condenser no matter what the outside temp is. And if it's cool enough that we're not running the AC, the fridge should be working fine on its own. I'm going to pick up some ducting and do some experimenting this week.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:18am
updated below
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>