R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 6:38pm
Keith-N-Dar,

Spot on. This a forum set to help. I am a big fan of my not so perfect Pod. I've noticed posts from folks that went to 100 before they took possession of a Pod and wondered why? Same with this individual who never took his Pod out, but complained. Good call. Be glad when this post goes away.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Beemie

Are there any particular years or models of units to avoid or is it across the board?
Seems like a deal breaker for a newbie.

This is why I get so frustrated with those who can't stop complaining.  And not just here but on other sites where I hang out.  The final straw for me was hearing the fault finder hadn't camped in his Pod yet.  On another forum a newbie was convinced to make major mods to the brand new firearm he purchased before he ever fired a round from it, costing several hundred dollars.  Most of the changes were unnecessary. 

Beemie, the vast majority of us like our Pods.  My refrigerator works great and has for a number of years.  Problems with the Pod have been minor and we have had it across the country twice and lots of state wide camping.  The wet bath is a luxury for us camping in places with no showers.  And I can handle the occasional getting up at night so my wife can use the bathroom.  Life is good.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Beemie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:39pm
A running pole would be of 1nterest
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:12pm
Since we only hear about the problems, and since we hear about so few, I got money on "thousands and thousands being accurate.

Signed,

One of the Thousands.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Though there many people whose refrigerators work just fine, one cannot conclude from a valid statistical point of view one way or the other that "thousands and thousands" of Dometic, or Norcold for that matter, users are not having "fridge problems."  We simply don't know one way or the other because we have utterly no valid data to support a conclusion.  The complaints are anecdotal and don't prove the existence of a major issue any more than the absence of complaints proves that everyone's refrigerator is working fine.

The bottom line, unless you are very wealthy, RV maintenance and things not functioning or breaking a lot are simply a way of life.  If you are not prepared to accept that fact it may be best to rent hotel rooms or sleep in tents when you travel.  For myself, I accept the fact that our Pod is going to have repair issues.  It's as certain as the sun coming up.  I just try to fix them, learn a little, and have fun with it.  Over all, for the price I paid for it, it's turned out to be a pretty nice trailer and we have enjoyed it.  As Ingemar said in My Life as a Dog:  "Things could be worse."

Actually, from my personal contacts with hundreds and hundreds of owners over the years of several brands, I have pretty valid information.

I have worked on, trouble shot, repaired, and modified more Pods then you can imagine. Couple of years ago I was at a rally where, by the end of the week, of the 50 or so Pods there, I had interacted in a "technical" way with the owners of 40 of them. Everything from a/c issues to zamp solar issues.

JUST FOR GIGGLES.. to help break the tone of this thread some... here is a link to one I did.. 

T&C's Garage.

I am not sure that video is playable.. so here is just a picture.. most of us know what a stock G model garage looks like..

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 4:24pm
+1, I still carry a cooler:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:40pm
Though there many people whose refrigerators work just fine, one cannot conclude from a valid statistical point of view one way or the other that "thousands and thousands" of Dometic, or Norcold for that matter, users are not having "fridge problems."  We simply don't know one way or the other because we have utterly no valid data to support a conclusion.  The complaints are anecdotal and don't prove the existence of a major issue any more than the absence of complaints proves that everyone's refrigerator is working fine.

The bottom line, unless you are very wealthy, RV maintenance and things not functioning or breaking a lot are simply a way of life.  If you are not prepared to accept that fact it may be best to rent hotel rooms or sleep in tents when you travel.  For myself, I accept the fact that our Pod is going to have repair issues.  It's as certain as the sun coming up.  I just try to fix them, learn a little, and have fun with it.  Over all, for the price I paid for it, it's turned out to be a pretty nice trailer and we have enjoyed it.  As Ingemar said in My Life as a Dog:  "Things could be worse."

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Beemie

Are there any particular years or models of units to avoid or is it across the board?

No. For all the talk in this thread.. remember,  thousands and thousands of owners are NOT having fridge problems..
Beemie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:07pm
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:46pm
For the record, the fridge in our popup worked marginally.  Since we always camped with hookups when we had it, I always took a dorm fridge (compressor style) for the sensitive foods.

The fridge in our pod worked great for over 4 years, until it didn't on gas (ok on AC/DC).  Likely the gas valve, and since the fridges are imported the part would be $400 instead of the usual $70.  Sold the pod before we fixed it.

The slightly larger fridge in our current 26 foot camper is now pushing 10 years old and it works great.  We keep ice cream in the freezer compartment and it has been through outside temps of 108 F.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>