R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Paladin

So much for administration.  I guess I'll be frank from now on when I don't like someone and I dare you to call it antagonistic!  Come one, really?  You didn't consider that antagonistic?  What planet do you live on?  Anyone in their right mind would call that antagonistic.  Take a poll.

First, I don't need to take a poll.  I have been the primary admin of this forum for almost 8 years.  

We have been VERY open to frank and uncensored discussions around here because this forum was founded because of censorship elsewhere.  But they have always been civil.

I have re-read all of the posts on the last few pages multiple times to be sure I wasn't missing something and my opinion hasn't changed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Paladin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Spydie has been suspended due to continued profanity.  I don't think I've had to do that before in almost 8 years.

You over-reacted.  He did not continue any profanity after you admonished him for that.  I can see this is a pretty one-sided forum.  Was Keith a friend of yours?  You didn't see that he was antagonistic?  Man this is a bad place to be.  You can ban me too.  You obviously don't have the education for this, but show Keith's statement to any English teacher and ask them if that was antagonistic!  (I'm an English teacher)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:09pm
Paladin has been banned since he is the same user as spydie.  Same IP address.  Busted.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:12pm
GOOD CATCH. Best to take disagreements and arguments to PM, not to effect all of us.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:38pm

Paladin has been banned since he is the same user as spydie.  Same IP address.  Busted.

Thanks techntrek for being a proactive admin on this forum.  Good catch indeed.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
  Wow.  You leave for 4 hours....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:50pm

That thought had crossed my mind, and I don't have access to IPs!
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:33pm
Wow, this whole thread has turned into about as much of a joke as the dometic refrigerator and Rpod construction in general.   I really don't see what the big hype about these things is that everyone gets so defensive about.   The plain and simple fact is that are cheaply built, barely holding together, and have horrible quality control, just like ANY rv.   For some reason this horrible level of quality is commonplace and accepted in the rv world and everyone just goes with it.   Ask yourself honestly, if your car was built with the same quality, would you be happy with it??  Your house??  Your electronics??  I highly doubt it. 

And yes I know the first question, "well then why did you buy one??"   The simple answer is it's light enough to tow with the vehicle we want to tow with, and big enough to be comfortable in.  We really couldn't care less about all this Rpod hype that everyone has and if anything, it's a big part of the problem of why these things are as poor quality as they are, and why the manufacturer gets away with it.   Get rid of the beer goggles, get rid of the fact that you just spent all this money on it and the pride that won't let you say it sucks, and really start looking at it.  Look at the nails and staples clearly visible in all the panels, look at the absolute rats nest of wiring, look at the caulking and spray foam that looks like a drunken monkey with a blindfold applied it, look at every fitting, hose, and connection that leak all over the place because the factory never tightened them, look all the fit and finish compared to ANY other type of product on the market that you use or buy in your day to day life and tell me what it is about these things that makes them better than anything other trailer.  I sure don't see it.   But what I do see is my expectation for the thing to at least WORK while it's still brand new.  So that being said, is there any hope for this joke of a fridge, or is it simply a wast of space in an already cramped trailer??

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:48pm
Considering that in my daughter's new house, the kitchen sink (undermount on Granite countertop) is falling off, and that is in a house that does not move and which cost magnitudes more than I paid for our RP-179, at the price point, the R-Pod is built well enough that I am satisfied with it. Yes, I have worked on some of the fit and finish items and done some modifications to make it better (and to make it more like what I want).
I too am not happy with the performance of the refrigerator. I have been following this topic here and in other topics and web sites which discuss the Dometic absorption refrigerators as well as some of the alternatives. If I knew of an energy efficient refrigerator which was suitable for dry camping that was not an absorption refrigerator that would fit the space of the current refrigerator, I would be very strongly tempted to change them out. However, I still think we are waiting for the breakthrough that will give us a refrigerator that will cool adequately in hot temperatures and not require shore power or a generator to operate for extended periods.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:41pm
Just did a week hunting trip in high cascades of Oregon. Temps were high 90's during the day, fridge did awesome never got over 40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>