R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Casey

Wow, this whole thread has turned into about as much of a joke as the dometic refrigerator and Rpod construction in general.   I really don't see what the big hype about these things is that everyone gets so defensive about.   The plain and simple fact is that are cheaply built, barely holding together, and have horrible quality control, just like ANY rv.   For some reason this horrible level of quality is commonplace and accepted in the rv world and everyone just goes with it.   Ask yourself honestly, if your car was built with the same quality, would you be happy with it??  Your house??  Your electronics??  I highly doubt it. 

And yes I know the first question, "well then why did you buy one??"   The simple answer is it's light enough to tow with the vehicle we want to tow with, and big enough to be comfortable in.  We really couldn't care less about all this Rpod hype that everyone has and if anything, it's a big part of the problem of why these things are as poor quality as they are, and why the manufacturer gets away with it.   Get rid of the beer goggles, get rid of the fact that you just spent all this money on it and the pride that won't let you say it sucks, and really start looking at it.  Look at the nails and staples clearly visible in all the panels, look at the absolute rats nest of wiring, look at the caulking and spray foam that looks like a drunken monkey with a blindfold applied it, look at every fitting, hose, and connection that leak all over the place because the factory never tightened them, look all the fit and finish compared to ANY other type of product on the market that you use or buy in your day to day life and tell me what it is about these things that makes them better than anything other trailer.  I sure don't see it.   But what I do see is my expectation for the thing to at least WORK while it's still brand new.  So that being said, is there any hope for this joke of a fridge, or is it simply a wast of space in an already cramped trailer??

I am sorry you are so uhappy with your purchase.  Your experience is not the same as the majority of owners who have years of good use from ours with none of the issues you bring up.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I am sorry you are so uhappy with your purchase.  Your experience is not the same as the majority of owners who have years of good use from ours with none of the issues you bring up.

I have been biting my tongue on, "So sell it and buy something you'll like!"
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Originally posted by Casey

Wow, this whole thread has turned into about as much of a joke as the dometic refrigerator and Rpod construction in general.   I really don't see what the big hype about these things is that everyone gets so defensive about.   The plain and simple fact is that are cheaply built, barely holding together, and have horrible quality control, just like ANY rv.   For some reason this horrible level of quality is commonplace and accepted in the rv world and everyone just goes with it.   Ask yourself honestly, if your car was built with the same quality, would you be happy with it??  Your house??  Your electronics??  I highly doubt it. 

And yes I know the first question, "well then why did you buy one??"   The simple answer is it's light enough to tow with the vehicle we want to tow with, and big enough to be comfortable in.  We really couldn't care less about all this Rpod hype that everyone has and if anything, it's a big part of the problem of why these things are as poor quality as they are, and why the manufacturer gets away with it.   Get rid of the beer goggles, get rid of the fact that you just spent all this money on it and the pride that won't let you say it sucks, and really start looking at it.  Look at the nails and staples clearly visible in all the panels, look at the absolute rats nest of wiring, look at the caulking and spray foam that looks like a drunken monkey with a blindfold applied it, look at every fitting, hose, and connection that leak all over the place because the factory never tightened them, look all the fit and finish compared to ANY other type of product on the market that you use or buy in your day to day life and tell me what it is about these things that makes them better than anything other trailer.  I sure don't see it.   But what I do see is my expectation for the thing to at least WORK while it's still brand new.  So that being said, is there any hope for this joke of a fridge, or is it simply a wast of space in an already cramped trailer??

"quoted for truth" as they say.

MOST, and I know a LOT of them personally, owners, have had no issue with the fridge. The fridge isn't made by FR, it's made by Dometic, it is used in thousands and thousands of small RV's world wide, and very few owners have any problems at all. That's fact, not conjecture. A few do.

Now, I have no clue how the OP approached his dealer or FR or Dometic about his problems, but, based on his posts here (and this isn't the only thread where he was rude to members or stated how he chewed out so and so..) I doubt they were very anxious to help him much. That's conjecture on my part, for now.

As far as construction methods.. well, some are better then others. BUT always remember.. how well would your HOME hold up to a 6.0 earthquake on a regular basis? As far as plumbing, it coming loose is a constant battle, because of flex and vibration. You can't build a light TT and have super rigidity etc.. it would weigh to much.

Are there "higher quality" small TT's? yes. But the pod is built to a price point. Always has been. And in fact it is the least expensive under 3500lb, fully featured, hard wall TT, out there.

You don't get Lincoln Town Car for Fiesta money. You get a Fiesta. If you can't live with a Fiesta, buy a Lincoln.  It really is that simple.

Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:37am
Just my little fridge report....2017 179.  Spent last weekend at the Outer Banks of NC.  High temps were mainly 80ish.  Fridge temp stayed between 50 and 44 using 120.  Checked it first thing in the morning after night temp of 65 and it was just barely below 40.  Not happy with it either.  Moved all the meat into the ice cooler.  Waiting for the miracle to develop!!  Love the Pod otherwise.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Subzilla

Just my little fridge report....2017 179.  Spent last weekend at the Outer Banks of NC.  High temps were mainly 80ish.  Fridge temp stayed between 50 and 44 using 120.  Checked it first thing in the morning after night temp of 65 and it was just barely below 40.  Not happy with it either.  Moved all the meat into the ice cooler.  Waiting for the miracle to develop!!  Love the Pod otherwise.

Have you done anything to troubleshoot, or contacted your dealer if under warranty, and is it on all three modes, or just 120v?
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:01am
We replaced our Dometic with a Norcold and it is working ok.  We were in record heat in the SF Bay Area (100+) and everything stayed nice and cold and what was in the freezer stayed frozen.  We had some initial problems with the installation as the door is not really reversible as was represented by Norcold and I had to jerry rig the control panel to move it over to accommodate the door latch.  We've had a few screws fall off that had to be replaced, but at least everything is cold when it runs on gas and AC.  I haven't connected the DC and probably won't.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:21am

"quoted for truth" as they say.

MOST, and I know a LOT of them personally, owners, have had no issue with the fridge. The fridge isn't made by FR, it's made by Dometic, it is used in thousands and thousands of small RV's world wide, and very few owners have any problems at all. That's fact, not conjecture. A few do.

Now, I have no clue how the OP approached his dealer or FR or Dometic about his problems, but, based on his posts here (and this isn't the only thread where he was rude to members or stated how he chewed out so and so..) I doubt they were very anxious to help him much. That's conjecture on my part, for now.

As far as construction methods.. well, some are better then others. BUT always remember.. how well would your HOME hold up to a 6.0 earthquake on a regular basis? As far as plumbing, it coming loose is a constant battle, because of flex and vibration. You can't build a light TT and have super rigidity etc.. it would weigh to much.

Are there "higher quality" small TT's? yes. But the pod is built to a price point. Always has been. And in fact it is the least expensive under 3500lb, fully featured, hard wall TT, out there.

You don't get Lincoln Town Car for Fiesta money. You get a Fiesta. If you can't live with a Fiesta, buy a Lincoln.  It really is that simple.

[/QUOTE]

Well said +1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:32am
I was just poking around on the net looking at Airstream 16' and 22' "Bambi" or "Sport" TT. The 16' looks pretty cramped, but is close in concept to some of the larger R-pods. Prices I found for it are "around $45,000". The 22' is more similar in space, and certainly more generous in space, but it is over 4,500# when fully loaded, so not really apples-apples comparison. It runs closer to $55,000.

The point being is that these are considered "premium" TTs. Are they nicer? In many respects they are. Are they worth 2-1/2 times an R-pod? That's a good question. I've looked at a couple close up, and many of the materials used are "nicer". However, the underlying systems are pretty much the same.

It would be interesting to do a 10-year comparison.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:41am
I looked at some Comet trailers. Almost identical to R-Pods. In fact, I looked at one that was identical to the 178. However, construction was cheaper, and although fixtures were same brands, stove top and sink were not flush.

It cost a few thousand MORE.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I was just poking around on the net looking at Airstream 16' and 22' "Bambi" or "Sport" TT. The 16' looks pretty cramped, but is close in concept to some of the larger R-pods. Prices I found for it are "around $45,000". The 22' is more similar in space, and certainly more generous in space, but it is over 4,500# when fully loaded, so not really apples-apples comparison. It runs closer to $55,000.

The point being is that these are considered "premium" TTs. Are they nicer? In many respects they are. Are they worth 2-1/2 times an R-pod? That's a good question. I've looked at a couple close up, and many of the materials used are "nicer". However, the underlying systems are pretty much the same.

It would be interesting to do a 10-year comparison.

Having owned both, having been to both factories.. The value is the owners decision. The 'streams are very well put together, (as are the Lances, wink wink) But there is value for the dollar spent between the two, I promise. But, just as the cars reference above, both do the same thing.

Often, an owners experience and happiness revolves more around the dealer, then anything else..

"it's better to have a great dealer, then a great camper.. one can be fixed"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>