Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R pod owner - Introduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R pod owner - Introduction
    Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:21am
Just watched youtube video on awning.  Who would have thought that you flip levers out to lock in place.  Demo Tim never mention that!

jp
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by jprithch2

thanks FP.

I called dealer today and tech said they were contrary and that if I came by he could show me how they worked.  He said other people had problems with this as well.  This is the one thing that I found no manual or instructions in the large packet they gave me.

Unfortunately your right they, FR, doesn't supply a manual for our Pods. I emailed the FR service representatives for the R-pod and they sent me a generic manual. Oh well something is better then nothing I figure. Strange, that your usb charging ports didn't work, unfortunately for some reason a wiring diagram that you can use to help you track down any electrical problems is like top secret since I could never get one from FR. Go figure? The first time I used the usb charging port on our 180 when I went to unplug the device I was charging the plug popped off the wall! Was able to fix it myself but still shows a lack of quality control at the factory and stupidity with just using two sheet metal screws to anchor into thin wood paneling.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:41pm
yeah, I noticed the poor mounting as well.  In fact one of the screw holes is right at the edge of the main hole.  Won't be long before I all falls off.   I should just go ahead and epoxy it to the wall.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by jprithch2

Thanks Mike,

My tv is a 1984 Chevy Silverado, 350 engine, 3 speed auto trans  with a receiver hitch mounted to the frame.  Short wheel base.

I read somewhere that short wheel base is less stable for towing.  Maybe this is why they gave me the 
extra equipment.

jp
A shorter wheelbase will be more sensitive to sway (in general). That vehicle should tow the R-pod just fine, but the age could be a factor. That vintage of 350 "probably" is around 200 HP (I'm just guessing, don't take my word for it). The 3-speed is a little short on speeds compared to newer vehicles that come with 4, 5, 6, 8, and even 10 speeds. Where the gears will make a difference will be in the mountains (and the HP of the engine too). 

What is your wheelbase? 10', 11', 12'? 

Any idea what the weight is? If it's over 5,000 lbs (I'm guessing it is), then it should be a fairly stable platform with an R-pod.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:13pm
Ok.  Got the usb ports charging now.  Tech found that the power wire was not properly crimped to ports.

On another note,  some of you were inquiring about my tv.

I am using a 1984 Chevy C10 with a 350 V8 engine.  Originally these were rated at around 200 hp.  The guy I bought this from was a race car driver and built the engine.  Not sure how many miles are on the engine.  He told me that it was close to 400 hp due to mods.... Electronic ignition, headers,  corvette heads, flow master exhausts, hypereutectic pistons.  He also installed a shift kit that extended the shift points so the gears wind out a little more than stock.  He used this truck to pull his race car but quit racing and sold truck.  There is also an auxiliary tranny cooler but it is small and no fan.  I will replace soon with a larger one that has fan attached.  I had the compression tested and all 8 cylinders were good and in range.  It does smoke a little on a start up and I think this is (hopefully) deteriorated valve guide seals. 

It runs great... but just to be sure, I had transmission serviced, all bearings repacked, differential grease replaced, new tires, new shocks, new power steering pump and hoses, new engine mounts, recently replaced radiator and hoses as well.

Wheel base is 10 feet.  It seems to pull fine and like i said earlier the dealer installed torsion bars, sway bar and a massive hitch that would accommodate the torsion bars and sway bar.  This set up adds at least 100 lbs to the tongue weight that is listed at 320 in the owners manual.    I have not weighed the truck but from internet research I am seeing that the truck weight is typically around 4000 lbs.  The weight of the 180 is 2662 lbs.  The gvwr rating of the truck is 5200 (I have little understanding of what this means even though I have done a lot of research).  Every one at the dealer said I should be able to pull with no problems but I got a feeling they say this to everyone just to sell campers.

I do hate that it is a 3 speed tranny, but can't afford an upgrade at this point.  It is a chevy 350 tranny.  My mechanic said he has never seen one of those come into the shop with problems.  

I do plan on putting as much weight into the truck rather than the rpod as I do feel the truck is a little on the light side.  Good idea?  Bad idea?

Taking it camping this weekend to make sure everything works.  Dealer told me not to run the a.c. or fridge on regular current as it could cause damage .... so have to go to campground for proper amps.
Just going to pull it about 20 miles down highway, no freeway yet.  I do worry cause this is an old truck, but we will see how she does.  I've had her about 10 years and never had any problems other that a rear wheel bearing that went out at one point and had to replace the carb a few years ago.

Any thoughts, insights, opinions regarding towing capabilities would be appreciated!

Jack
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:32am
I think you have done a good job of prepping the TV. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

The wheelbase should be either 117" or 131", the 131 is the long wheelbase and should be preferred.

It appears you have added tow capacity, the trans is probably the weak point but they are stout, it would be nice to have that extra gear. A properly equipped 3rd Generation Chevy 1/2 ton could pull 8000 lbs with a braked trailer.. That is non-4WD. I towed a Bayliner overnighter with a 90 Chevy Suburban for years, with a 350 trans. The fact it was used to tow a car and trailer should be considered a plus, and you have added to the capacity.

I have run my trailer on a 120 house circuit with an extension cord and adapter, you are limited as most house circuits are 15/20 amps versus the 30 amp.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
moseyman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:06am
Congratulations on your 180.
We purchased our 180 earlier this yr.

The wall-mounted USB charger failed our first night out. I have since installed an Amazon.com replacement that incorporates a digital voltage meter.

The USB port in the radio is for input to the radio - not a true usb port - as I understand it.

Enjoy your new mobile vacation home.
Moseyman & Miss Izzy

'06 Toyota Tacoma Double cab v6
'17 RPOD 180 'Serenity'
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:34am
yeah,  I plugged into that usb on the radio and wondered why it was not charging phone.
j
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12