R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedany jeep wrangler owners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Larry-D View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: any jeep wrangler owners?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 6:25pm
Using a Prodigy 2, I think its been three years since I installed it.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:58pm
Larry-D,

Legally you need a brake controller. Sure you're up on that. Welcome.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:38pm
2014 JKU, aftermarket hitch.  No problems pulling Rpod 172 loaded.  No problems with any factory warranty.  The aftermarket hitches are the same as the factory.  The limiting factor on JKs is the way the hitch mounts, not the best design.  You will certainly need a trailer brake controller.  Agree on getting the factory trailer wiring harness, just makes it easier.
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by goombah

Fully loaded I'm about 3100 lbs.

Have you weighed your pod loaded?  Just curious.  I'd like to get a feeling for what a bunch of pod owners' loaded weights are.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
I changed from my 2017 Jeep Unlimited with the tow package to a 2017 Colorado crew Cab Off Road with tow. Have load and sway control. Both do fine. Jeep on hills turns higher RPMs up grades. Gets the job done. I have ran at speeds of 65-70 and not problem on fairly flat roads. Remember my rig is equipped with sway and load control. The Colorado has more power and I carry more weight. Do not overload your Jeep. I checked my tongue weight. Kept it around 350 lbs.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
Weight distribution is the biggest factor in safely towing, wheelbase isn't nearly as important as people think, it actually doesn't have much to do with it at all. As far as gear ratios, tranny coolers and horsepower go, none of those have anything to do with safely towing a trailer, they just dictate how fast you're going to tow it and for how long.   But as I said, weight distributing is the key, and since you can't put a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch on an SUV... weight distributing hitches are not an area to cheap out on. Get a quality hitch, set it up correctly, and enjoy your drive.   
goombah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:00am
I'm late to the game, but here's my input.

First of all, the JKU and JK have different tow capacities since the 4 door has the longer wheelbase.  Also, the max tow package on Wranglers is typically the addition of the transmission cooler and higher gear ratio, along with the lighting harness and hitch.  Gearing is also key.  You don't want to tow with 3.21 gears.  My setup:

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon (factory transmission cooler) 4.10 gear ratio, auto trans.
2015 Rpod 176
Tekonsha Prodigy 2 Brake Controller
Andersen No Sway/Weight Distributing Hitch System
Self installed hitch, trailer light harness (Mopar), and brake controller.

I've taken it multiple times (>10) from sea level where I live to above 7,000 feet here in Northern California including up the aforementioned Sonora Pass as far as Dardanelle.  Just got back from another trip to Yosemite this evening where we towed it above 6,000 feet.  We try to go as light as possible (don't tow with any water in the tanks) and haven't had any problems.  The first year we had it, our trip to Yosemite was done with the outside temps over 100 degrees.  Do we set any speed records? Nope, but it does a nice job going up the mountains as long as you aren't in a hurry.  I'm not going to keep up with the diesels.  I did a ton of research before I bought this combination of vehicle and trailer, and believe me, there was a lot of information, disinformation, and confusion (did you know the JKU has a 500 pound higher towing capacity in Europe- 3500 lbs vs 4000 lbs?  Never got a solid answer on that one, but one theory is that the JKUs brakes might be different over there.).  I realize I'm towing close to my capacity, and the rule of thumb is to try to have 20% or more in reserve.  Fully loaded I'm about 3100 lbs.

Food for thought on all the "JKU's have such a short wheelbase" quotes you see so frequently.  The JKU has a longer wheelbase (116 inches) than the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Toyota 4Runner (over 6 inches longer in the 4Runner's case).  Both of those when properly equipped have tow capacities of at least 5,000 lbs, with the Grand topping over 6,000 lbs.  People love to tow with Chevy Tahoes.  Guess what the wheelbase is on those?  Yup, 116 inches.  I know a lot more goes into towing capacity than wheelbase, but there are so many that throw that "Wrangler short wheelbase" argument out there that it needs to be put to bed.  We're talking about JKUs here, not JKs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  Check out the referenced Facebook group for more input, but they might be just as biased as me Wink.  

ricobobo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Thank you all for your comments!
Thank you especially for your suggestion to the fb group- they have been helpful as well.
We have decided to borrow a friends truck for now and will re-visit this in the Spring. Too stressful to have to make that decision at this junction. 
But thank you again for all of your input!
Happy RPodding!!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Dirt Road Warrior

Three times we climbed the Bumblebee hill on I17 (at least a 2000 foot climb). It was slow, with lower gear selection necessary, and the only issue was a hotter than normal engine temp (it was over 100 outside). There were no problems with sway or any scary moments.
Well expected terrain is certainly an issue. We climb over 2400' on our daily commute. Just east of us are several 9000'(+) mountain passes; one of which is over 10,000'. If you struggle on Bumblebee Hill, I can guarantee you won't like Sonora Pass.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 7:40pm
I towed a 179 (all tanks were empty) with a 2013 Wrangler Sport with max tow and a brake controller. The Pod came with a WDH and sway control. Three times we climbed the Bumblebee hill on I17 (at least a 2000 foot climb). It was slow, with lower gear selection necessary, and the only issue was a hotter than normal engine temp (it was over 100 outside). There were no problems with sway or any scary moments. However, due to work needs I bought a Grand Cherokee (and kept the Wrangler, of course). Haven't towed the Pod yet, but I bet it will be more comfortable.

Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>