R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedany jeep wrangler owners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: any jeep wrangler owners?
    Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:07pm
I hope someone can save me some heart-ache.
We have just purchased R178- weight 2554 due to pick up next week.
I happen to call a jeep dealership to confirm my jeep had the tow capacity.
Internet told me 3500 dealership told me only 2000.
I asked why- it's because the hitch was not factory installed.
When I asked if my jeep could be retrofitted they said it would void the warranty.
Either I get rid of my jeep or I get rid of the RPod- neither of which I am happy about doing.
my jeep is a 4 door wrangler unlimited sport 4 x 4 v6

Any suggestions before I slit my wrists (not really)Ouch 
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:20pm
You are still a few hundred pounds short of the GVWR of a 178 even with a factory hitch. If you are careful to keep your R-Pod under 3500, you will be operating at the ragged edge.

I can pull over 6000, but still wanted to keep it under 4000, hence my R-Pod.

I love my 178, so I'll lobby you to upgrade your tow vehicle to at least 5000 to pull 4000.

BTW, don't go by empty weight. Your TV should be able to handle a fully loaded trailer (GVWR) with room to spare.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 5:24pm
What year Wrangler? What does the owners manual say. Forgive me, but, cars trucks, rv's milk bottles.. I don't care.. "the dealership" is usually the last place to look for the truth.

I understand ALL 2017 Wranglers, have a 3500 tow rating.

The dealership, nor manufacturer can "void your warranty" for adding a hitch.. Feel free to google the Magnuson Moss Act, and take a copy to your dealership.

2017 Wrangler specs.. 
ricobobo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 6:15pm
What year Wrangler? What does the owners manual say. Forgive me, but, cars trucks, rv's milk bottles.. I don't care.. "the dealership" is usually the last place to look for the truth.

I understand ALL 2017 Wranglers, have a 3500 tow rating.

The dealership, nor manufacturer can "void your warranty" for adding a hitch.. Feel free to google the Magnuson Moss Act, and take a copy to your dealership.

just spoke with another dealership and I didn't get any further- said they will have to call me back tomorrow to let me know how to add an extra cooler in the engine-- by the way can you tell I am a female??? I have NO clue but just trying to ask the right questions.

and yes they did say it would void warranty so thank you for the info on the Magnuson Moss Act- I briefly read it and noticed it said for "NEW" cars. Will have to read on to see if applies to resale. I purchased it used from the dealer with a limited warranty.

So I kinda figured I needed more expert advise than the dealership, that is why I am on the forum- you guys are the experts in my opinion!
ricobobo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm
You are still a few hundred pounds short of the GVWR of a 178 even with a factory hitch. If you are careful to keep your R-Pod under 3500, you will be operating at the ragged edge.

I can pull over 6000, but still wanted to keep it under 4000, hence my R-Pod.

I love my 178, so I'll lobby you to upgrade your tow vehicle to at least 5000 to pull 4000.

BTW, don't go by empty weight. Your TV should be able to handle a fully loaded trailer (GVWR) with room to spare.

______
But it's not a factory hitch- it was put on after.

My dilemma is that if the jeep in fact does have 3500 tow capacity I will have to install an electronic break toggle inside the cabin for the electric brake system - apparently parts n labor I am looking at close to $400. I don't want to go that route if at the end of the day the jeep can't take it no matter what I do.

I don't know who else I can take the jeep to and have them look at it and tell me for sure

I appreciate your input!!!- you and furpod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 6:45pm
You have to have a brake controller regardless. 
ricobobo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:15pm
Furpod- I did not know that until yesterday, however if I wont be able to use my jeep as is I don't want to spend the additional $400 on this jeep. 

We will either have to sell the jeep or sell the RPod- Cry

I am hoping I can take it somewhere other than a dealership to find out the real answer after they look at it.
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:36pm
 We have a 2013 four-door JK   Rubicon and it has a 3500 pound tow rating you can order a wiring harness to add a brake controller made by Mopar for it and you can even buy a Mopar hitch and then you just buy the brake controller of your choice   And he might want to weigh the trailer because our 171 loaded weighs 3100 pounds 
Love to camp
2014 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:42pm
Years ago I had a hitch installed by U-Haul (a company store, not a gas station that rents a few trailers).  They had quite a process to determine what I needed.  I don't know if there is one near you but that could be an option.  Unlike some other dealers the one I use is very good amd knowledgeable.  I would trust their advice, but it would be a long drive for you.  If you know other RV folks get opinions about dealers and repair shops from them.

In general I think your proposed TV is to short and to light.  for sure you will need weight distribution hitch and sway control. 

Please let us know what you decide.  Pods are fun and I hope things work out for you.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by ricobobo

I hope someone can save me some heart-ache.
We have just purchased R178- weight 2554 due to pick up next week.
I happen to call a jeep dealership to confirm my jeep had the tow capacity.
Internet told me 3500 dealership told me only 2000.
I asked why- it's because the hitch was not factory installed.
When I asked if my jeep could be retrofitted they said it would void the warranty.
Either I get rid of my jeep or I get rid of the RPod- neither of which I am happy about doing.
my jeep is a 4 door wrangler unlimited sport 4 x 4 v6

Any suggestions before I slit my wrists (not really)Ouch 

Forest River's website lists the unloaded weight of the 178 at 2603 lbs.  To that number you need to add: propane cylinder, battery or batteries, microwave, water, food, clothes, leveling blocks, grill, r-dome... The list goes on.  Anything else you travel with adds up.  I would venture a guess that when loaded for a trip, your 178 would weigh at least 3200 lbs.

Will your Jeep do that?  Probably.  You won't be going anywhere fast (probably a good thing), and you'll be working the jeep hard.  You HAVE to add a brake controller (which can be done for much less than $400).  Other things that would be very helpful are the extra cooler or coolers you mentioned and some type of weight distributing/anti-sway hitch.

Is all that worth the money/effort/strain, and will it feel safe traveling down the road?  Only you can answer that question for yourself.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>