R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedany jeep wrangler owners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: any jeep wrangler owners?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:23pm
***UPDATE*** first off I want to thank all of my fellow "podders" for helping me out yesterday and today.

I took Keith-and-Dar's advice and I went to a U-haul store and spoke with the owner. I had all my measurements and notes with me - which was key.

In a nut shell I don't have to do anything. Jack, the owner, basically said if it were he with the jeep and the R178 he would leave the jeep the way it is, he would not put in the brake controller and would not put in an anti-sway hitch. His reasoning is pretty simple for my circumstance. I only go camping a few times a year and it is locally to NH/ME and VT. If I were to take it cross country or even live more in the mountains he might make a few adjustments however I should be fine.

Although I was still a little hesitant he did say to me that he has been hitching hitches for 20+ years and each one he works on he puts in his head that it has to be done perfectly or it could be his children and wife behind you if it gets lose and I do not want them to die or anyone else. This is coming from the OWNER of a U-haul so I would assume he does not want a law suit either.

He looked at the way the hitch is bolted to my jeep and gave me a sense of security.
That being said, if once we get all connected and on the road we find out differently we will be back at square one but would not have spent all the extra $.

So Thank you again for your input. Look for my post after Oct 1 to see if we made it home without a glitch :)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:32pm
1 thing.. again, a brake controller isn't optional. It's required by law.

New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont ALL require functional brakes on all trailers with GVWR of 3000 pounds or more. All pods have a GVWR of 3500lbs.

Linky..  <<<<<<<<--------Click me.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by furpod

1 thing.. again, a brake controller isn't optional. It's required by law.

New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont ALL require functional brakes on all trailers with GVWR of 3000 pounds or more. All pods have a GVWR of 3500lbs.
Not only that, but Vermont and New Hampshire require trailer brakes if the trailer (let's call it 3200 lbs) exceeds 40% of the weight of the tow vehicle. That means you need trailer brakes if your tow vehicle weighs less than 8,000 lbs (assuming the above 3200 lb R-pod). If your R-pod is loaded up to 3500 lbs, then the tow vehicle needs to be over 8750 lbs.

I don't think I've ever seen a Jeep Wrangler over 4500 lbs, and that might be generous.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ricobobo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:49pm
furpod: you just burst my bubble :( - I thought the dry weight of the RPod was 2300. 
Plz excuse my ignorance - can you explain it to me please in elementary terms.
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm
Um...back to the beginning and the difference in tow capability.  We came into the Pod world with a 2012 Toyota Rav Sport w/tow package.  That gave us 3500.....but.....only because the vehicle had the tow package.  What that gives the vehicle, for Toyota at least, is a stiffer suspension, larger rad with a bigger cooling fan, heavy duty alternator, and perhaps the most important....a transmission cooler.  As has already been pointed out here - Pods come with electronic brakes.  Use of said brakes is mandatory just about everywhere so you should count on having to have the harness for a 7-point plug installed.  

From the sounds of it your Wrangler doesn't have a tow package and I suspect that is why you are hearing the 2000 limit.  You run without a transmission cooler at your own risk really.  A transmissions' biggest enemy is heat and pulling between 3000 and say 3200 in all kinds of winds and up and down hills etc generates a lot of heat.  For the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars you run the risk of being stranded on the side of the highway with a expensive tranny repair on the immediate horizon.  

Not wanting to get into a peeing contest with the U-Haul guy but I've towed with a vehicle that is about the same as your Wrangler.  You need a WD/equalizer hitch for that short wheel based vehicle - even though you will be pulling a smaller Pod than the one I have.  Just for safety if nothing else.....and rest assured you will not be sorry to have it.  Fastway E2 highly recommended.  

I hope furpod returns and answers your questions....he won't steer you wrong.  Good luck and best wishes as you move forward.  

Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by ricobobo

furpod: you just burst my bubble :( - I thought the dry weight of the RPod was 2300. 
Plz excuse my ignorance - can you explain it to me please in elementary terms.

Dry weight is what it weighs empty. No options, no gear. After the dry weight, we add batteries, propane, air conditioners, microwaves, televisions, stereos, sleeping bags, soap, towels, spare undies, beer, water, spam, potatoes, eggs, bacon, whop biscuits, sodas, swimsuits, firewood, pots, pans, camping chairs, need I go on?  LOL

GVWR is also very important, and it's what the .gov cares about. That's the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.. or.. what the manufacturer says the vehicle CAN weigh when totally loaded. It's usually, and in this case exactly, based on the fact that the Pod has a "3500lb" axle.

Also.. I am not a Uhaul fan.. and for sure not a fan of the one you found. By definition a Wrangler is a short wheelbase vehicle, the pod can apply a lot of side torque which a short wheelbase cannot handle well. I would not tow with a Jeep, period.. BUT, if I was convinced to do it, I would for sure use a WDH and sway control.
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 7:38pm
I hate to break some bad news, but the U-Haul guy is full of it. I would never tow a 178 with the vehicle as you have described it.

Use the trailer GVWR to determine whether you can tow it. You can't. Not even close. And you should allow extra capacity.

To tow a 178, I'd want minimum 4000 pound towing capacity and a TV carrying capacity that could allow for 400 lbs on the tongue in addition to all other cargo carried in your TV.

Don't operate on the ragged edge. Certainly, don't pull or carry more than your TV is rated for.

Don't cut corners. Get a decent tow vehicle with a tow package and a brake controller. Please.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 8:26pm
They're all correct you have to have a brake controller we don't Pull or 171 very often with the jeep because it makes it work so hard we usually use our truck  and the weight of the 171 was quite a bit less and that's why we went with one without a pop out so we could pull it legally with the jeep I would say you would probably be overloaded or real close to it .A  friend told me if you were towing a trailer that weighs more than you're  towing capacity and you get in a wreck for any reason blown tire ,wind ice,you are liable because you were breaking the law   So definitely wait to make sure you know what it ways with all your stuff and water in it    Sidenote I got my wiring harness I believe from Amazon typed in Jeep Wrangler JK four door and it came up with a seven pin wiring harness that's pretty easy to install yourself and then I just ordered a brake controller for it  from them too but the wiring harness was actually made by Mopar and was just plug-in and run along the frame rails and hook up a couple power wires pretty easy 
Love to camp
2014 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:28pm
If you use FaceBook, go to this group, ask to join. Very helpful bunch.

DO NOT TELL THEM I SENT YOU.

Jeep Pod Group
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:27am
There is a lot of over thinking, over explaining, and over complicating going on here. The simple answer is put a good brake controller in, get a weight distributing sway control hitch, and tow your trailer.

We have a 3/4 ton truck, and with the weight distributing hitch our 4 door jeep tows the trailer just as stable as the truck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>