R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing setup for new RP176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod613 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing setup for new RP176
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:46pm
So finally this process of researching, purchasing, prepping the TV and picking up the trailer has come to an end. We finally picked up our 176 on Friday.

First impressions are the setup is pretty solid and I feel comfortable driving it. I’ve got an Equil-i-zer sway control WDH (4000/400).

Now on to some camping!

2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:53am
Dang. I have one of those Husky's  in the barn, Used once to bring a large trailer home. If you lived closer I would have sold it for $100 if you picked it up here.
And on the sway control, One time i was trying to shake the black tank, (pyramid) with ice cubes in the tank while driving down the road and my truck (F150) said no and just took over everything. It works really well, and I could see how it would save me if i got in trouble.

cheers John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:18am
I like lostagain's take.  Better to have WDH and not need it than need and not have.  
I'm liking the look/design of the Husky 32215 Center Line TS, on Amazon for $303.
Has anyone used this model?  looks like the ground clearance is decent.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:16am
Onazip, most of the time a WDH hitch is overkill.  When you are driving on flat ground, with no wind, and traveling at a moderate speed, you probably wouldn't detect a difference in your Tacoma.  But, when wind is blowing, the road is slippery or curvy, or you have to take emergency evasive action, the combined weight distribution and anti-sway characteristics of a WDH may well make you glad you invested in it.  From our experience, having the load better balanced ends up being a heck of a lot more comfortable for long trips.  With our Pod hooked up to our TV with a WDH, we hardly notice any difference in driving except that acceleration and mountain climbs slow the truck down.  The control you can feel as you are descending a steep grade, then suddenly find that the S curve your in is a little tighter than you anticipated is well worth it.  Personally, on all but short trips into town, I will not tow our Pod without or WDH.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 9:57pm
My 2010 Frontier does not have sway control built-in. Your Tacoma must be new or nearly new as I don't think that has been available until recently.

Edit: Not sharing other people's DNA is a reason I prefer our R-Pod to staying in motels also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 9:08pm
Thanks Stephen, I was leaning in that direction.  A new bit of info.  I just read that my truck has Trailer Sway Control.  Apparently it applies the trailer brakes via the vehicle sway control system when it senses a trailer is hooked up. Funny how the manuals are so ambiguous.  
I'm thinking I like the Fastway design most.  Seems simple and I'm a simple guy.  
Bottom line; we're just so happy to own a Pod of our own.  So tired of sharing other peoples DNA from the rental trailers.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by onazip

I'd like opinions on a WDH or just an anti sway device.  My tacoma is rated at 6500 lbs.  We bought a 176t.  The owners manual for the Tacoma says I NEED an anti sway device for trailers over 2000 lbs, and I NEED a WDH for trailers over 5000 lbs.  The 176t is well under the 5000 lbs mark.  If the cost of the WDH is not an issue, would you use one? 

If the cost is not an issue, go with the WDH with sway control. That way, you get the benefits of both in one device. Also, with a WDH with sway control such as the Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control Hitch (the one I use) or the Fastway E2 hitch or the Andersen No-Sway hitch, and other similar ones, you do not have to remember to disconnect a sway control device before backing up. With a sway bar, if you forget, you run the risk of damaging the sway control mount.

I am towing with a Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab with part-time 4WD. It has a 6100 lb tow rating. While I also could tow without the WDH, it does level out the truck so I am glad I have it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 7:35pm
I think the bike would be to heavy for the rear of the pod.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 7:31pm
I'd like opinions on a WDH or just an anti sway device.  My tacoma is rated at 6500 lbs.  We bought a 176t.  The owners manual for the Tacoma says I NEED an anti sway device for trailers over 2000 lbs, and I NEED a WDH for trailers over 5000 lbs.  The 176t is well under the 5000 lbs mark.  If the cost of the WDH is not an issue, would you use one? 
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:33am
They actually make a 2" receiver mount wheel adapter that allows tow of a motorcycle by the front wheel. Issue is weight to the rear of RPod frame, it would take considerable modding to all Pod to tow. It's rated at about 150 lbs.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>