R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing setup for new RP176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
marwayne View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing setup for new RP176
    Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:03am
Originally posted by tsteckley

I have to disagree with you, I chose my dealer because is is an expert on towing, they even have towing seminars to teach people the dos and don'ts for towing. He has taken over the business and has worked there since he was around 10, over 50 years working with rv's and towing. A rating on a vehicle has a 1.5 to 2 times safety factor, which means a 3500 lbs rating could actually tow around 5000-7000 lbs. Keep in mind that would be too much in my opinion, but everything is over rated to allow these type of situations. Not every trailer and situation, are people able to know the exact wight, maybe I have to tow a trailer with building materials or garbage. Also if you have a TV rated at over 5000 lbs, that dose not mean you are safer. Have you seen how fast people drive and how bad some drivers are...... just my opinion

Are you then also saying with the 1,5 to 2 times safety factor I can load up my 3500 # axle with 5000 t0 7000 pounds ? I don't think so.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

tsteckley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:38am
I have to disagree with you, I chose my dealer because is is an expert on towing, they even have towing seminars to teach people the dos and don'ts for towing. He has taken over the business and has worked there since he was around 10, over 50 years working with rv's and towing. A rating on a vehicle has a 1.5 to 2 times safety factor, which means a 3500 lbs rating could actually tow around 5000-7000 lbs. Keep in mind that would be too much in my opinion, but everything is over rated to allow these type of situations. Not every trailer and situation, are people able to know the exact wight, maybe I have to tow a trailer with building materials or garbage. Also if you have a TV rated at over 5000 lbs, that dose not mean you are safer. Have you seen how fast people drive and how bad some drivers are...... just my opinion
Terry.S
2011 Toyota Venza
2018 R-Pod 176 (Delivery June 2018)
2004 Harley Davidson Electra Glide CVO
1963 Pontiac StratoChief
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:59am
I personally think it should be regulated by law. If you register a T.T., the registry should immediately look at your registered vehicles. If you do not have a vehicle that can safely pull that weight, your application should be rejected. You should also be given a legal cease and desist order to not attempt to tow your T.T. until you have an acceptable Tow vehicle. A Dealers job is selling T.T.'s, he is not an expert on towing. I personally feel that nobody should tow a pod without a T.V. rated for 4500 pounds, or without wdh or sway control. The guy driving beside you with his kids has a right to expect minimal safety standards are being used.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
tsteckley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:04pm
Lots of good comments on hare about TV and recommendations. I also have a similar TV as the beginning of the post(Toyota Venza). I have a wide range of career back ground. Machinist, did second career thing for Mechanical Engineering(College version), now designer-draftsman for welding company, also renovating a 150 year old house. I have learned many things when working with Engineers, can be 1.5 to 10 times safety factors, that being said I have some Engineers ok our design and others will not touch our projects. With my 20 years of Machining, I was the guy who got all the jobs that everyone else in the shop said it couldn't be done. I took great pride in proving a lot of people wrong, sometimes anything is possible, and also in a safe way too. Many things can be said about a vehicles tow rating, and many modifications can be done to improve things. Car manufacturers tend to have less and less tow ratings, and make sure with today's lawyers that, their butts are covered for any lawsuit. I have a best friend who is a fantastic mechanic and my RV dealer has been is business for around 70 years. They say the Venza will work, I still think it may not have enough power for my liking when towing out east (Canada and USA has same landscape as far as out east goes). I'm not 100% on board, but one fact is that with trailer brakes, stopping will not be a safety concern. I will also do all of the modifications to my TV, already have a good WDH with sway bars, looking into frame strengthening, but sometimes a proper design needs parts to flex so they do not break. Now I have to wait till June to find out how it will work. I hope this helps everyone to maybe think outside the box. Also I am not saying that car company's tow rating are wrong, or anyone's experience is bad advice, but some times there are grey areas..... CoolCool. I'm on hear to find out everyone's opinion, good or bad, this will help me see things I may not have thought about to make a good decision. Thanks for all the input and I hope no one was offended about my post.
Terry.S
2011 Toyota Venza
2018 R-Pod 176 (Delivery June 2018)
2004 Harley Davidson Electra Glide CVO
1963 Pontiac StratoChief
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:56pm
It is rather hard to not leave footprints. The "Back to the Future" hoverboard has not yet been invented and levitation is a nice magic trick but impossible in reality. If I am walking on the beach, I expect to see footprints where I have been. I agree that there are some places we should not walk as they are too delicate.

Edit: I'd better quit as I may be on thin ice--another place I don't want to leave footprints. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:44pm
Depends on where you're walking I suppose.  But there are some places where we should not even walk, for example delicate meadows and bogs.  

The guy who said take pictures and leave only footprints had the right idea for sure.  Maybe troop 13 was more strict?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by lostagain

I agree that it's best to tow with a truck or a SUV built on a truck chassis if you're towing something as big an r-Pod.  It's safer for everyone and is certainly much more comfortable for those in the TV.  

I would remove my signature block, but I don't care if I offend those who don't drive Dodges; it's their folly.  And as to not leaving footprints, I learned that in the Boy Scouts in 1958 so it has to be true.

I thought it was "leave only footprints." abbreviated from "Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:30pm
I would agree that this TV is not right.  We have a 179 (Hood River Edition) that the salesman and sales manager both said was adequate.  I was leery about taking their advice but once i'd shelled out the $ for the trailer I did not want to buy another TV.  Was I wrong!  so now I have a Silverado 1500 V8 4x4 with rear axle ratio of 4.2 and it pulls like a charm.  I also use a WDH and sway bar.  Good luck and enjoy the R-pod. 
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:36pm
I agree that it's best to tow with a truck or a SUV built on a truck chassis if you're towing something as big an r-Pod.  It's safer for everyone and is certainly much more comfortable for those in the TV.  

I would remove my signature block, but I don't care if I offend those who don't drive Dodges; it's their folly.  And as to not leaving footprints, I learned that in the Boy Scouts in 1958 so it has to be true.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:42am
Solid decision.
Make sure the basics are covered..
level to slightly nose down trailer attitude.
10-15% of total weight as tongue weight.
Empty tanks if at all possible.
Tow at a reasonable speed.
Pod tires at 50 psi, or 65 if upgraded tires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>