R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing setup for new RP176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing setup for new RP176
    Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm
Did you get the Towing Package? A class II hitch is only rated for 3500 lbs. gross trailer weight with a 300 lbs. max trailer tongue weight. On Pages 401-402 of the owner’s manual they talk about towing a Trailer and it’s limits. It also states in the owners manual
Weight distribution hitches
A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle.
An improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and
braking performance.

Fits: LX, EX, EX-L, EX-L RES, EX-L RES & NAVI, EX-L Touring RES & NAVI
You can haul trailers weighing up to 3,500 pounds with the Towing Package. Check out your Owner's Manual for more details on towing with your new Honda.
•Class II Trailer Hitch mounts directly to the frame for optimum performance, strength, and security.
•A choice from 1 7/8" or a 2" receiver designed to support a variety of trailer coupler designs.
•Trailer Hitch includes draw bar, retaining pin, and retaining clip.
•Automatic Transmission Fluid cooler (ATF) helps prevent wear to your transmission while towing.
•Power Steering Fluid cooler (PSF) is designed to keep your vehicle operating at peak performance even under the increased demands of towing.
•Specifically designed cooler air duct assist in directing air flow over the cooler.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:01pm
+1 David. Interestingly same people, different posts.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:37pm
Hot topic.  Obviously.  A lot of opinions and many different experiences.  My take is that  a whole lot of towing safety has to do with the nut behind the wheel, as they say.  If you are smart and careful and manage to stay within the limits, you'll likely be okay.  When you exceed the limits things can get wonky quickly.  Some people will say it's still doable, but at the least, there may be legal implications to you if you're in an accident, even if it's not your fault.  As GlueGuy said too, you're taking chances with your kids' well-being as well.

If you can stay within the weight limits or close enough you aren't uncomfortable with the risks, there is still the issue of wear and tear on your towing vehicle, and, quite likely, the overall pleasure (or lack thereof) of going down the road.

If you can do a heavier duty tow vehicle you almost certainly will be happier.  As someone here says, we've never heard anyone complain about having too much tow vehicle.

I'll tow one-off deals where I have to move farm equipment around the county that is clearly over the weight limit of my vehicle, but to go down the road on a pleasure trip, with my wife and kids, I'd much rather color well within the lines.

You did well to check in here.   There is a lot of good information shared here. Ask questions; listen, digest; but what you do is ultimately up to you.  As I said, you obviously touched a nerve this time!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Pod613 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:28pm
Thanks to all for your feedback and recommendations. One can't be picky when asking for advice on an Internet forum. To me all opinions are appreciated but I prefer to keep things respectful.

There is always more to this topic than numbers and towing within the limits is what I intend to do. Taking into account not just the tow rating but the GAWRs and GCWR. We camp light as we come from tenting for the past 15 years with high quality, lightweight gear. I fully intend to weigh my vehicle setup 'camp ready' and work within my means. I am tedious about maintenance on my vehicles which I know also plays a factor.

I do not currently have the tow package but will be having it installed.

Thanks again for the input. If anyone else has experience or advice please add to the thread.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by JandL

•Class II Trailer Hitch mounts directly to the frame for optimum performance, strength, and security.
I should point out that the Honda Odyssey is unibody, which means that it has no frame. I would hope that some sort of reinforcement is done to prevent the hitch from "pulling through" the sheet metal.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:18pm
i'm towing a 178 with a 3.6L dodge Caravan. for about 8000 miles. The 178 weighs in at 2650 well below the max tow weight of the TV. I don't use a WDH  because I am a little wary of the stress it could put on the frame. Been doing fine with just a sway bar. Only problems are from big trucks. Their turbulence sometimes tries to induce a little sway but stops almost immediately after they pass. (not even sure if the sway is from the trailer swaying cause I feel the semis pushing the minivan even without the trailer hitched). Havent had any problem powerwise with east coast mountains, I have yet to challenge the western mountains.

I am violating 2 TV specs:
1. the trailer frontal area -- this is a wind resistance issue and as long as i keep the speed down the only thing that suffers is the gas mileage

2. tongue weight -- the recommended TW is 360lb.. I took the back seats out to take some weight off the axle and hitch receiver and purposely added tongue weight on the tongue to ensure a stable ride

I have very little additional cargo weight in the trailer, all the heavy stuff is stored in the van.

The itemized Dodge component sheet shows that the grand caravan comes from the factory with beefed up suspension, alternator, and trans cooling.  I don't know if Honda comes like that, i  f, not you will likely need it.

malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:24pm
you are right about one thing , Eye. Nobody should rely on a message board. You should do your own research.
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:26pm
you are so right  -- Leo
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:49pm
malkbean2,

Did you weigh that 178 to get 2650? That's close to empty weight.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:05pm
The big problem is that they give unclear specs on this stuff. People look at their tow capacity and think, oh, if i stay under this number on my dry weight, I'll be fine. They use the simple subtract the dry weight from tow capacity formula. I like to point out, my car can go 120 miles an hour, but it's not very advisable to do that. Oh sure, I might get away with it many times. I also could put on a blindfold and cross my street with out looking, and I might make it many times without incident. But is it wise to do it? You should never use a machine at its maximum ability on a continuous basis. Your free to do what you want, but I would not want to be involved in an accident with a vehicle that can be deemed overweight. Remember, what you put INTO your tow vehicle counts the same as what you put ONTO your tow vehicle. If you had a 500 pound stone in your trailer, and you simply move it to the back of your T.V., It hasn't lightened your load. Everything counts, people, gas, gear, everything.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>