R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing setup for new RP176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing setup for new RP176
    Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:11pm
+ 1
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:15pm
+1 to what mjlrpod says. I would never expect the TT to be at, or below the advertised weight. I always run my calcs based on the maximum weigh, and go from there.

In addition to the tongue weight, there is also the maximum payload for your vehicle. MANY vehicles that are well within the maximum trailer weight limit will often exceed the payload limit, and/or the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR).

Do yourself a favor, and run your numbers here: https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

Make sure all your gauges show green.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:47pm
+1 to Glueguy and mjlrod.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:43pm

Please take this in the spirit in which I offer it. It reflects my personal experience, my judgement as an engineer, and the combined experience of other forum members. My personal experience is in towing a 172 with a 4WD Honda Pilot (4500# rating). I selected the 172 for its low weight as I knew I’d be climbing some hills with the Honda. The combo worked out OK but the 172 is lighter than your 176, the 4WD Honda is rated 1000# more, and we were traveling with just two adults. Performance and safety were OK at low altitudes and flat roads but climbing/descending hills, especially in the mountains, was marginal.

Vehicle tow ratings are based on a number of factors such as control of the trailer, braking, acceleration, and drive train capability. Your 3500# rating includes the empty trailer, all gear/water/propane/factory options in the trailer, and all added weight in the vehicle in excess of one adult driver. Four extra passengers and gear can add up very quickly and subtracts directly from towing capacity. You should certainly have the factory towing package including larger radiator and transmission cooler. A transmission oil temperature monitor is also highly recommended.

A WDH that includes sway control such as the Fastway E2 is highly recommended if properly installed and adjusted. My Honda book had the same non-recommendation but that is due to the fact that a misadjusted WDH can be worse than no WDH at all and concerns for the Unibody construction on the Hondas. Not recommended by Honda but most members conclude you should have one and it worked well and greatly improved the ride/safety.

General experience on this forum has been that 3500# vehicles are marginal and a 5000# tow rating is preferable.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:18pm
I really feel bad, and I hope you don't feel we are ganging up on you. I just like to be totally honest about this stuff. I had a subaru outback when i purchased my 172. I looked for something that was within my 3000 # tow capacity, and that was the best. I never made it to the point where I actually towed with it, because I found out I too had over estimated my vehicles abilities. I will not say you won't be able to pull your 176, I just think you should know what your getting into. I bought a frontier with a 6500 # capacity. And when i'm climbing the hills of southern vermont, I know the pod is there. Please don't be upset, just learn from this and be very careful. I wish you nothing but great fun with your pod. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:50am
i pretty much keep it mt while towing except for some extra weight on the tongue.
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:02am
they not only give unclear specs on stuff but sales people seem to purposely muddy it up to confuse things further.

Doing your own research and balancing the many facets of towing is paramount.
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by malkbean2

i'm towing a 178 with a 3.6L dodge Caravan. for about 8000 miles. The 178 weighs in at 2650 well below the max tow weight of the TV. I don't use a WDH  because I am a little wary of the stress it could put on the frame. Been doing fine with just a sway bar. Only problems are from big trucks. Their turbulence sometimes tries to induce a little sway but stops almost immediately after they pass. (not even sure if the sway is from the trailer swaying cause I feel the semis pushing the minivan even without the trailer hitched). Havent had any problem powerwise with east coast mountains, I have yet to challenge the western mountains.

I am violating 2 TV specs:
1. the trailer frontal area -- this is a wind resistance issue and as long as i keep the speed down the only thing that suffers is the gas mileage

2. tongue weight -- the recommended TW is 360lb.. I took the back seats out to take some weight off the axle and hitch receiver and purposely added tongue weight on the tongue to ensure a stable ride

I have very little additional cargo weight in the trailer, all the heavy stuff is stored in the van.

The itemized Dodge component sheet shows that the grand caravan comes from the factory with beefed up suspension, alternator, and trans cooling.  I don't know if Honda comes like that, i  f, not you will likely need it.

I would bet good money that your trailer weighs at least 3100-3300 lbs when hooked up and towing.  As mentioned already, the listed empty weights are not an accurate representation.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Pod613 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:04am
Hi all,

Lots have changed since my first post. I did more research on my own and concluded that I needed to upgrade my TV. I have since gone to a 2016 Honda Pilot with towing package. This give me much more confidence.

My wife and I are going to the RV show tonight and I expect we'll be buying it then!

Thanks everyone for the good discussion. 

Looking forward to posting more about my experiences.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 12:04pm
Good call and happy travels!
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>