R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing setup for new RP176

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing setup for new RP176
    Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
I’m back with another question.

We purchased a 2018 RP176 and expect to get it in April, can’t wait!

The dealer is advising me that I do not require a WDH with my Pilot. A stabilizer is all they recommend. They could up sell me easily but are not.

My Pilot manual says my vehicle “should” not require a WDH but my gut tells me I should get one. It’s not a question of cost to me but safety. 

Thoughts?
2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:50am
There is no advice being given - except perhaps yours. Stating factual experience is not advice and by the way I personally believe experience is way way way way more valuable than theoretical calculations and also keep in mind that any engineering spec worth its salt always throws in a fudge factor and 150% would not be uncommon. That being said, if you can afford it and it suits your needs, I believe it is always better to oversize your TV.
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:36am
In light of the comment about the value of experience, I would say you could safely tow from the dealer to home and then make the call.  I would also check to see if the TV is level when the Pod is connected.  If you are towing when headlights are needed, you don't want the headlight pointing at the stars.  
Enjoy Life!!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:45am
As I remember, the Pilot and Ridgie manuals advise against a WDH, because if improperly installed or adjusted, they could damage the unibody construction.I know owners of both, who do both. Towing comfort is subjective.

That said. I (I) believe towing trailers, is "truck stuff", and I believe doing truck stuff requires.... a truck.

Do people tow with Subarus and Kias and Escapes and such? sure.
Would I? Nope.
Pod613 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by furpod

As I remember, the Pilot and Ridgie manuals advise against a WDH, because if improperly installed or adjusted, they could damage the unibody construction.I know owners of both, who do both. Towing comfort is subjective.

That said. I (I) believe towing trailers, is "truck stuff", and I believe doing truck stuff requires.... a truck.

Do people tow with Subarus and Kias and Escapes and such? sure.
Would I? Nope.

The 2016 manual now says 

"Your vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you want to use one consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up. Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability and braking performance of your vehicle"

Anyway, I think the solution is simple, I can try it without and then put it on if required. 
2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:42am
Solid decision.
Make sure the basics are covered..
level to slightly nose down trailer attitude.
10-15% of total weight as tongue weight.
Empty tanks if at all possible.
Tow at a reasonable speed.
Pod tires at 50 psi, or 65 if upgraded tires.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:36pm
I agree that it's best to tow with a truck or a SUV built on a truck chassis if you're towing something as big an r-Pod.  It's safer for everyone and is certainly much more comfortable for those in the TV.  

I would remove my signature block, but I don't care if I offend those who don't drive Dodges; it's their folly.  And as to not leaving footprints, I learned that in the Boy Scouts in 1958 so it has to be true.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:30pm
I would agree that this TV is not right.  We have a 179 (Hood River Edition) that the salesman and sales manager both said was adequate.  I was leery about taking their advice but once i'd shelled out the $ for the trailer I did not want to buy another TV.  Was I wrong!  so now I have a Silverado 1500 V8 4x4 with rear axle ratio of 4.2 and it pulls like a charm.  I also use a WDH and sway bar.  Good luck and enjoy the R-pod. 
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by lostagain

I agree that it's best to tow with a truck or a SUV built on a truck chassis if you're towing something as big an r-Pod.  It's safer for everyone and is certainly much more comfortable for those in the TV.  

I would remove my signature block, but I don't care if I offend those who don't drive Dodges; it's their folly.  And as to not leaving footprints, I learned that in the Boy Scouts in 1958 so it has to be true.

I thought it was "leave only footprints." abbreviated from "Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:44pm
Depends on where you're walking I suppose.  But there are some places where we should not even walk, for example delicate meadows and bogs.  

The guy who said take pictures and leave only footprints had the right idea for sure.  Maybe troop 13 was more strict?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>