R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with kids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDry Camping with a Little One - Heater?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry Camping with a Little One - Heater?
    Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:42pm
The Mr. Heater Big Buddy and smaller Mr. Heater propane heaters are advertised as indoor safe.  At least one model says it's safe for RV use.  We use our all the time inside, but always with a window and maybe the vent cracked.  And I don't like using it while asleep.  The furnace is louder than a helicopter, but I've found I actually get used to it after a while and don't start up straight in bed every time it comes on.  It's combustion is outside: no exhaust or fumes inside at all. 

You said no hookups, but if/when they are available a 1500w 110v little ceramic heater will keep a pod toasty down into the 30s.

There is no battery powered heater that would keep you warm or leave you with any juice in your battery in the morning.

Marwayne, a guy on the forum here, created a heat exchange heater that works off the water heater.  It is very quiet, and really pretty elegant.  Some of us wish he'd sell them or kits for them, or at least provide a parts list.  It uses a tiny bit of 12v power, but even that seems to be optional.  It works well on pure convection.  (I guess that's the right word.)

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:21pm
One caution about the Little Buddy heater--The thing is top heavy. The base is inadequate to hold the propane container sufficiently to keep it from sliding out and tipping the unit over. If the base were redesigned to provide more solid support, I could see using it. I couldn't keep it upright. The newer propane tanks with the plastic base don't help either.

I ended up returning the Little Buddy and buying the Mr. Buddy Portable. I liked the BTU output of the Little Buddy, but the safety risk of having it tip over so easily negated that. I like that the Mr. Buddy Portable is much more stable, but performance at the lower setting does not seem to be very good and the instructions say not to run it except at the two settings but not between them. The low setting seems like it is not burning very efficiently and the top setting will drive one out of the 'Pod in short order. I don't want a Sauna Pod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 3:38pm
This made my Lil Buddy more stable than the one pounders and burns a lot longer.

We use it mainly under the dome or next to my work bench in the garage.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 3:45pm
Yes, that would make it stable. I would nto want to bring a 20 lb cylinder into the 'Pod though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Yes, that would make it stable. I would nto want to bring a 20 lb cylinder into the 'Pod though.

I wouldn't either. That tank is a one gallon Worthington tank. Got some weight to it.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:41pm
With proper venting , having an open ceiling vent, and crack a couple windows, there's zero risk of CO poisoning. It makes no smell whatsoever and is very quiet. Makes nearly no noise at all.

http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html

The Portable Buddy Heater has a safety tip-over shutoff and a low oxygen depletion sensor (ODS). 

The real problem is it has ONLY a low/high setting. It's either 4000 or 9000 BTU/hr. It cannot be regulated except for those two heat outputs. It's one or the other heat setting. It has NO thermostat. When in low output, I had to open the windows enough (in front near the dinette, not near my head in the bed) or I would roast. It puts out a lot more than needed in low. In low it is supposed to take about 6 hours to burn through a 1 pound propane bottle.

I wish it had a variable output, or at least a thermostat on a remote wire, That would be awesome if it could go very low (off) when the room temp was reached, and fire up as needed when it starts to cool.

If you use your furnace, make sure to run it hard before your trip!!! It will STINK until it runs hot for many hours. I didn't know this the first couple trips, and t stunk so bad it made me think of just bundling up with sleeping blankets and wool hat instead.

If you are handy I would also recommend that you remove the furnace and check that the fan/impellers are not rubbing on the plastic shroud. Mine was and when I had it out I adjusted the fan and also shook out and blew compressed air into it and a lot of sawdust came out, burnt and other wise!! After reinstalling, it was so much quieter!!
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

None of the propane Buddies that I looked at is certified for "indoor" use. Sure they have an oxygen sensor, but I think you may be taking chances with children or infants. I believe I would not be comfortable using one inside the pod. I'd prefer the built-in furnace.

Been digging through numerous threads, but can’t find any real information on running the r pod furnace through a night while only on battery. Wondering if the battery will make it through the night. 
Our first night out will be most likely be dry camping, but probably in the 20s at night. I was wondering if the battery would make it through a night? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure how well insulated the r pod is. It’s a 2018 179.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Woody.1

Been digging through numerous threads, but can’t find any real information on running the r pod furnace through a night while only on battery. Wondering if the battery will make it through the night. 
Our first night out will be most likely be dry camping, but probably in the 20s at night. I was wondering if the battery would make it through a night? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure how well insulated the r pod is. It’s a 2018 179.
We have run our furnace overnight, but never when it was really cold. Even with that, it can seem like it runs a lot. The R-pod (we have an RP-179) does not seem to be very well insulated. The windows are all single pane, and there also seems to be several air leaks. However, the furnace does run on battery, and I've heard anecdotally that you can run 2 or 3 nights on just the battery.

I suppose it all comes down to how cold is it outside, and how warm you need it inside. Probably not a simple answer.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:06pm
Here is a simple solution for hear. Most sites hav a 20 amp outlet for tent campers. I bought a couple of outlets you can install through you floor or walls. Be careful about drilling the 1.5” outlet holes. Plug male end of a 20 amp chord into the pedistal and female into the outlet installed through the trailer wall or floor. Plenty for a 1,509 way heater if needed. Also used for othe high amp devices since your Pod can only handle 30 amps.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:41pm
Or get a 20 amp to 30 amp adapter and use the cord that came with your Pod.  You can charge your battery and use almost all of your pod accessories. If you have a 20 amp plug in at the site.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>