R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with kids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDry Camping with a Little One - Heater?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry Camping with a Little One - Heater?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:49pm
That is not what I am doing. 30 amp RPod plug supplies the RPod requirement. If I use a heater or additional 1,500 watt appliance it trips the 30 amp feed. I am not using any plug adapters. 30 amp for the Pod and the 20 for additional amps on another circuit at the pedistal. Two separate circuits.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:27am
If you are blowing a 30 amp breaker at a time when you need heat you have something going wildly wrong with your electricals.  The biggest drain is the AC, and you aren't running that with the microwave and a heater too are you?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:59am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by Woody.1

Been digging through numerous threads, but can’t find any real information on running the r pod furnace through a night while only on battery. Wondering if the battery will make it through the night. 
Our first night out will be most likely be dry camping, but probably in the 20s at night. I was wondering if the battery would make it through a night? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure how well insulated the r pod is. It’s a 2018 179.
We have run our furnace overnight, but never when it was really cold. Even with that, it can seem like it runs a lot. The R-pod (we have an RP-179) does not seem to be very well insulated. The windows are all single pane, and there also seems to be several air leaks. However, the furnace does run on battery, and I've heard anecdotally that you can run 2 or 3 nights on just the battery.

I suppose it all comes down to how cold is it outside, and how warm you need it inside. Probably not a simple answer.

If the furnace runs a lot on a very cold night, assume you set it at 60°F and it's below 35°F outside, then the ONE 12 volt battery will make it but be quite low. I experienced this on my first cold trip with the R-Pod on a Memorial Day weekend in Vermont.

2 nights and my battery was flat during the second night. No juice except for very dim lights. Furnace would not work. Slide wouldn't move. Water pump wouldn't run for more than a couple seconds. Had to connect to my SUV for 20 minutes while getting the Pod ready to leave later that morning.

I went with 2 12 volt batteries and had good experiences after that. I also went with the Buddy Heater as the heating option with a window and bathroom vent cracked. Plenty of battery life if you aren't using the furnace.

I have 2 6V Trojan T-105 batteries in my new trailer, plus a 150 watt solar charge unit on the roof. I was going to remove the batteries this past winter, but decided to see what happens (they are frickin heavy in an inconvenient location for lifting). The solar panel has kept them topped off all winter, just checked yesterday, and they had just happened to be charging, 13.6 volts on my meter. Solar is great.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:51am
I installed a NOCO Genius AC Port Plug w/extension cord (Part# 329-GCP1) thru starboard wall. Comes out underneath reefer in my 178. Allows for an additional 110 circuit that does not go thru the TT power panel. I also had issues with tripping the GCFI CB when trying to run an additional ceramic heater. I did NOT lose the 30A CB as I recall. About 17 bucks at etrailer.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:00pm
When it comes to a child, I side on caution. 

If you're going to run 'all night', IMHO I'd use the units heater.
No, and I do mean no, un-vented unit is completely safe. They must be vented by means of a opened window (or roof vent). Then you have to wonder if you've done enough.
Sorry, but I just wouldn't use a portable heater, no matter what is said or claimed.

Personally I have never used a heater 'all night'. Never saw the need. Good bags or blankets and we're fine. First one up, turns on the heater.

Yes, we did camp late fall , in a tent when my daughter was 6 months old. She slept between us at night (not sure who was keeping whom warm..). 

Again, not offend anyone, MHO.

Now, with us about to travel, extended, I have debated a portable heater. I have come down to I'll buy an electric for when we're on 'shore power'. When Boondocking, I'll use the units heater. I think the unit will heat the area quicker and since only on for a short duration.. Why buy another propane unit..
Hmm...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:36pm
Thanks for the replies,
Being new to trailer camping I was trying to get a feel from the members on how long a battery would last. I’m having our pod installed with 2 batteries.
I don’t think we’d ever have to run the furnace all night. We have good sleeping bags and have slept in tents in the low teens so the r pod has to be a HUGE improvement I would think.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:54pm
You're right.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Woody.1

Thanks for the replies,
Being new to trailer camping I was trying to get a feel from the members on how long a battery would last. I’m having our pod installed with 2 batteries.
I don’t think we’d ever have to run the furnace all night. We have good sleeping bags and have slept in tents in the low teens so the r pod has to be a HUGE improvement I would think.

Oh yes will it be! Especially with a young child.

You mentioned having bought two 12v batteries. I see now your having them installed. This off topic, but have you truly bought the batteries yet?
Do not mean to go off topic, and if you wish to PM instead, that's okay.
I just need to mention I'm not a fan of 12v LA batteries. You get getter AH out of 6V for less/same costs..
More weight, but when going dual anyway... Just hope I caught you in time to debate the choice.

As always, MHO
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:10pm
This is a oiled filled space heater. One we carry in cool weather. Cuts the use of propane. Electricity free. Propane not. The Pod heater is fine. The 30 amp of the Pod trips if I plug the oiled filled heater in one of the Pod outlets.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:13pm
I purchased 2 of the outlets you previously gave us. I have yet to install but this is a great way to get a 20 amp circuit separate of the pods 30 amp.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>