R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Issues
    Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:32pm
Thinking very seriously about using the pressurized air method of winterizing our new pod. It will be the first time for me so I'd like to get it right! I'm assuming when you add pressurized air you by-pass the hot-water heater, which you drain by removing the anode rod. Correct? I understand adding rv antifreeze to your sinks and shower traps but wouldn't you also add a cup or two to your holding tanks, fresh, gray, and black? Just to make sure any residual water that maybe in your holding tanks won't freeze? Any confirmation and help on this would be much appreciated since I plan on making the air inlet connector this week in anticipation of winterizing.Thanks in advance!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:11pm
Well, this is just how I do it, for the last 20 years, or so....Some might disagree, and that's ok... everyone is entitled to their own thing.
I pull the anode out of the hot water heater after every trip.  Not all water drains.  Nor does all debri flush.  So, I duct tape a rubber hose to my shop vac and use it to vac the remaining water and all of the junk out.  You will be amazed.   That is also how I prepare hwh for winter.  To blow out water system using pressure, you must by pass hwh.  Now, I do not pressurize system. I open one faucet at a time then  I hook a blow nozzle to my air compressor,  wrap a little bit of rag or towel around it and insert mostly air tight into "city water" connection on outside of traler.  Then shoot air into the system one quick shot at a time.  Since a faucet is open, not much pressure builds up, but the water gets blowed out just fine.  You will hear the water stop blowing out and just air coming out.  Turn that faucet off and open another and repeat. Repeat until all faucets are blowed out. At this point, I would add 3 gallon of antifreeze into the fresh water holding tank and use the 12 volt pump to pump it thru every hot and cold faucet.  Then drain the excess out of the fresh water holding tank.  Make sure your grey and black tank are drained and you are winterized.
Adding the anti freeze is the part I want to do away with.  Thinking , if all of the water has been blown out, what is left to freeze.... nothing...right . This is what myself and jato is saying.  ".blow the water out and you should be good to go.  What I do not do is pressurize the system anymore than just shooting some air into it...no need to.  Another point that causes discussion...I have been in the water works business for 45 years and I do not drink water from the fresh water holding tank...just my preference. I still sanitize the tank with HTH tablets, not bleach, for dishes and showers etc. Using unchlorinated well water in your holding tank is asking for problems, which I have seen.  Hope this helps...let me know if I can help .   Thanks.  Joe. Karen. And of course messy Bessie, the bassett hound.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:41pm
Yes, you need to pull the anode out to drain the hwh.  You also need to turn all the bypass valves above your hwh to the opposite direction.  On my 177 there are 3 valves to turn.  Maybe my well water is special but that is all we have ever used in our fresh water holding tank for nearly 7 years now.  It wasn't until last summer when I sanitized the tank for the first time since we owned it in 2011.  Fortunate I guess as we both use it for drinking water.  As I posted in another place next spring I will put some water in the holding tank and let it sit for a couple weeks and then take a sample and send it to the county extension agent to see if there are any harmful critters lurking about.  Based on the results I will either sanitize or forego the process.  You will always have some residual water in your 3 tanks but there is plenty of room for expansion, if say you have 3 gallons in a 30 gallon tank.  We have never had any freezing issues in our tanks.  For the first time this fall I made a concoction of 1/2 cup Borax, 1 cup Pine Sol and 3 tablespoons of ammonia.  Add enough warm water to make 1/2 gallon of solution and shake to mix contents.  Pour 1/2 into toilet and the other down the sink to go to the gray water tank.  I then added another gallon of water to both so I probably have 2 gallons or more in each tank going into winter.  I did this as my neighbor told me it will sweeten the smell of both tanks come springtime.  Even after draining my fw tank I bet there are still at least 3 gallons or so in the bottom of the tank.  As far a hooking up the air pressure gun I have a pigtail under the kitchen sink that comes out of a 3-way valve, turn it 1/4 turn to open the pigtail line to the water supply line, from there it goes to the water pump and then to the sinks, shower, toilet.  After finishing remember to move the 3-way valve to the original position.  If you forget you will get frustrated the following spring because your water pump will turn on but not pump water because of that line being open it will cavitate.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:40pm
FYI, I just did a video on using the Pink RV antifreeze and basically followed techntrek's winterization list from the site. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

~JM
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:49pm
Pilot, Nice job on the video.  It's very informative. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:51pm
Nice job on the video PilotPodder!

Though unless I'm missing something, which is more then likely, it seems to me a bit of overkill to blow out all your water lines with compressed air and then fill them all again with RV antifreeze. To each their own and maybe someone here will tell me otherwise but this seems to be self defeating or maybe another way of saying it's a bit of overkill? If your going to drain all your holding tanks, by pass and drain your hot water heater, and then blow out all your water lines with compressed air why would you need to add RV antifreeze? To my thinking if you did all that and then if you really wanted double protection all you would need to do is add some RV antifreeze into your drain traps and you would be good to go in most of the country. Of course maybe if you live in the Great White North you might want to also add the antifreeze to all your water lines but to my thinking its complete overkill. If I'm wrong please someone either say so here or send me a PM and set me straight! I can't understand why something that should be so simple, blowing out your water lines with compressed air for the winter season,  has so many different opinions on how it should be done???
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 7:52pm
If you can be certain that all of the water is out of all of the lines, you're right.  Air doesn't freeze at temps survivable by humans.  But if a little bit of water is left in the pump or in the toilet valve, it can freeze and burst the pump or valve.  Ask me how I know.  It only takes a tiny bit of water in the right place.  However, if there is a bit of water and you pump antifreeze through the whole system, any water is going to be replaced with slightly diluted antifreeze, so -50° antifreeze might freeze and expand at -40°.

The best thing might be to blow out the water, run antifreeze through ths system and then blow that out.  Depends on how cautious (or paranoid) you want to be.

If Jato and others have gotten by only blowing out the lines for years, it's pretty safe, but nothing is 100%.  Antifreeze is the standard for winterizing, and it's cheap and easy.

Depending on where you are in NC to some extent, you might be okay just blowing out the lines, but I'm basically in Nashville, and it's probably warmer here in winter than in a lot of NC.  My toilet valve froze and broke a couple of years ago. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Depending on where you are in NC to some extent, you might be okay just blowing out the lines, but I'm basically in Nashville, and it's probably warmer here in winter than in a lot of NC.  My toilet valve froze and broke a couple of years ago. 
TT

Valid point TT and very much appreciated!
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:33pm
We know of quite a few campers with different name brand TT.'s who do pretty much as we do.  Blow out the lines, that is it.  Add rv antifreeze to traps and you are good to go.  We are now on year 6 doing it this way, and no problems.  Winter temps often times will hit -15F or more in our January freeze.  A few winters ago we had sustained temps that were in the -24 to -28 F range.  The pod was fine, but the peach trees all died.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by jato

We know of quite a few campers with different name brand TT.'s who do pretty much as we do.  Blow out the lines, that is it.  Add rv antifreeze to traps and you are good to go.  We are now on year 6 doing it this way, and no problems.  Winter temps often times will hit -15F or more in our January freeze.  A few winters ago we had sustained temps that were in the -24 to -28 F range.  The pod was fine, but the peach trees all died.

You might use more pressure than I did or I might have simply forgotten to run the air out through the toilet.  I think it would be fairly easy to leave an ounce of water in the lines that might gravitate into the pump or the toilet valve if all you do is blow the lines out.  Obviously, blowing the lines works for you and others.  At this point that doesn't provide me with the comfort level I want, so I'm doing antifreeze.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>