R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing Issues
    Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by furpod

it's just a flexible pipe heading down to the holding tank. It doesn't hold water.
I figured that was what it was, but..... during the summer if I turn on the water pump and open a faucet with water in the fresh water tank, I get water from the tap instantly.... no air bubbles.  That says to me that the intake line remains full.  Is it possibly somewhat above the bottom of the tank, so if the tank is truly empty water does drain back out into the tank?  Its also a fairly long and (I assume) horizontal run from the pump to the fresh water tank in a 171.  

Before I blew out the system, I did drain the tank as best I could and then ran the water pump with a tap open until I got (mostly) air so the intake is at least not totally full of water.  This was complicated by the fact that I was in the driveway which has about a 2 degree slope so the tank drain was not quite the low point on the tank.  

I'll add antifreeze soon (wasn't sure I was quite done with it for the season) but I still worry a bit about the fresh water intake line and any associated plumbing up to the water pump.  I went through the same process last fall and it was OK in the spring, so maybe I'm just worrying about nothing.  

Paul

2014 Rpod 171
2017 Toyota Highlander
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by pgoelz

I'll add antifreeze soon (wasn't sure I was quite done with it for the season) but I still worry a bit about the fresh water intake line and any associated plumbing up to the water pump.  I went through the same process last fall and it was OK in the spring, so maybe I'm just worrying about nothing.  

Paul

If you blew out the system the fresh water intake line won't have any water in it, especially after draining the fresh water tank. Besides its just a pipe running into your tank its not made to hold water, yes? I think what your concerned about is the line from the tank to the pump and the pump itself. If that's the case once you run RV antifreeze through the pump you will be go to go! If there should be any little bit of water in the line from the tank to the pump will drain back into the tank which remember you have now drained.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
pgoelz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by DavMar

If you blew out the system the fresh water intake line won't have any water in it, especially after draining the fresh water tank. Besides its just a pipe running into your tank its not made to hold water, yes? I think what your concerned about is the line from the tank to the pump and the pump itself. If that's the case once you run RV antifreeze through the pump you will be go to go! If there should be any little bit of water in the line from the tank to the pump will drain back into the tank which remember you have now drained.
Yeah, I get it in theory.  What I still worry about is the possibility of a reverse pitch somewhere between the pump and the tank that would prevent water from freely draining back to the tank even if the tank were truly empty.  The pump is after all only a couple inches above the top of the tank and what.... 8" above the bottom?  Mid span would not be TOO bad.  But if it was right at the pump it could trap water at the pump or in the checkvalve.  

I guess on the positive side, any damage is fairly easily accessed and repaired.  And it survived a winter without damage......

I'll have a closer look when I pump in the anitfreeze and see if I can see the line and its pitch... and whether there is water in it.  

Paul
2014 Rpod 171
2017 Toyota Highlander
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 6:21pm
Backin15, did you do a video of contorting this way and that to get to the bypass valves via the access panel in the back?  Should be pretty funny.  Well, the first year I tried that (Nov. 2011 on my 177) I nearly got stuck, so I said nuts to that, I am going to cut a hole over the top of the hot water tank.  I carefully measured and then cut a 2" hole with a hole saw to see if I was close or not.  Glory be, I was right over the top so I then enlarged it to a 5" by 7" rectangle, large enough to get my hand on those 3 valves.  Now it is easy, flip up the mattress, open the "door" over the 5" x 7" hole, turn the 3 valves and that part is done, easy peasy.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
We just did our winterizing yesterday.  I've read through all the procedures posted on the forum and had a check list we got from either the FB group or here.  I just watched Pilot's demo and he was running the antifreeze out the low point drains.  He is the only one that I know of who suggested this and I see that there was water coming out.  I had to low point drains open for quite a while before the water stopped.  So the question now is....how important is it to run the pink stuff out the low point drains?  I used about 2 gallons worth to get the Pod to where it is now but if I should go back and do the low point drains I have no problem with that.
The other question I have is the toilet.  We had the dealership do the winterizing last year because the service dept went on and on about freezing it.  We pulled the handle until we had nothing but antifreeze filling the bowl.  Is there anything further i should do?  Don't want to freeze the valve.

Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:29am
Bob, I went pretty strictly by techntrek’s winterization list from this site for my video. Step 12: “12) Turn on the switch for the water pump for a few seconds, then turn it off. Your low-point drains should still be open, go outside and verify they are dripping pink. You may need to cycle the pump a few more seconds to be sure. Then close both low-point drains.” I probably use a gallon for this to work. If you still have water in the low point drains, I would think you will want to get it out. Maybe others have tips on the best way to do this seeing you have antifreeze in your lines already.
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

Bob, I went pretty strictly by techntrek’s winterization list from this site for my video.

I tried to search out and find techntrek's winterization list and sadly had no luck finding it in the search options. Could you please point me and others to his post or duplicate his list for those of us that can't seem to find it. Thanks!
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:24pm
Here is the link to the winterization checklist that I modeled the video from:

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

Here is the link to the winterization checklist that I modeled the video from:

PilotPodder, Thanks!

I guess I need to bone up on how to use the search function! Embarrassed
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:31pm
In case anyone is doing winterization this weekend with the RV Antifreeze, I put an instructional video up to YouTube a week ago following techntrek's list on the site. Just click on the "My RPod Youtube Videos" link next to my signature below. Also, two posts above is the link to techntrek's list. ~PP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345