R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicles - Event Date: 28 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow vehicles
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by DavMar

I think we’ve may have gotten our apples and oranges mixed up on this subject, if so forgive me.
It happens all the time. I misunderstand you, you misunderstand me, or we both misunderstand each other. It will all come out in the wash if we give it enough time and thought.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm
+1 to DavMar
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

If the springs are compressed, and carrying the additional load, there is little difference. What I'm talking about is discussed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

Great video! Thanks for sharing it and its one that I think anyone pulling a trailer should view. I completely agree with the video and your conclusion. If you’re ONLY using an airbag system or a product such as SumoSprings to compensate for trailer weight distribution you will not get the benefits that a good weight distribution hitch (WDH) gives you when towing. Even if you have an additional suspension system improvement such as the airbag or SumoSprings it should not take the place of a WDH so we are in agreement. I too use the Fastway e2 WDH system that also gives me additional anti-sway control which I believe is very important. Any aftermarket shocks, airbag, helper springs, or a product such as SumoSprings should only be used as an additional improvement to your vehicle suspension system and again not as a replacement for the WDH. I think we’ve may have gotten our apples and oranges mixed up on this subject, if so forgive me.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by DavMar

I will have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion in that there is a difference between SumoSprings and airbag suspension systems. SumoSprings are a “passive” system where air bags are “active” suspension system.

If the springs are compressed, and carrying the additional load, there is little difference. What I'm talking about is discussed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
bp
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:10pm
rawest50,

I also have a 2016 Colorado, and there is not one pertinent post with my ability to tow, nice info, and interesting read. Appreciate conversation, end of the day, if vehicle is rated and capable - good to go.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:29pm
I have not read all the post and not clear about the towing and suspension? I pull with a Colorado Z71 Off Road with weight and stabilazation. No problem with balance. My Jeep Unlimited with the tow package has no problem but I am close to tow capacity of the vehicle.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Super springs or Sumo springs are no different in their dynamics than air bags. You would still have better vehicle/trailer dynamics with a WDH instead of any of those.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion in that there is a difference between SumoSprings and airbag suspension systems. SumoSprings are a “passive” system where air bags are “active” suspension system. In all airbags you have compressed air inside which uses some type of bladder system. They work great as long as they are always maintained, correct pressure and such, and never have a puncture. Where as SumoSprings are made out of a type of foam which requires no maintenance and no worries about leaking from punctures. Unlike airbags SumoSprings, which replace your leaf springs rubber bump stops, only exert full compression under heavy load. The SumoSprings are used to help stabilize and support your load which can only help not hinder when using a WDH. In no way have I found them negatively effecting the suspension stabilization but only improving it which is what your after by also using a WDH. If you believe something like SumoSprings or airbag suspension systems don’t work when you use a WDH. Then I suggest that after you do a long haul with your camper reach under your rear wheel fender opening and grab your shock and I’ll bet you’ll find it quite warm to say the least. Its why many people upgrade their shocks or suspension systems using products like SumoSprings or airbags with or without WDH when they are pulling a trailer or hauling heavy loads. If you still don’t think either suspension systems work then I ask you why do you think tractor trailer trucks use airbag systems? If that doesn’t convince you well to each their own more power to you brother.

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 3:06pm
Super springs or Sumo springs are no different in their dynamics than air bags. You would still have better vehicle/trailer dynamics with a WDH instead of any of those.
bp
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 2:26pm
will look into these.

DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm

[/QUOTE]
Hey Dave,
Which model of sumosprings are you using?  I'm planning on installing some this spring, and appreciate any feedback you've got.
[/QUOTE]

I went with the Black 47 density SumoSprings, just a few extra bucks over the Blue 40 and I figure the best of both worlds don't need the heavy duty Yellow 54. Been using them for over a year now and pleased with the performance. The only other suspension upgrade I've been thinking about is better shocks.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>