R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicles - Event Date: 28 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow vehicles
    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:29pm
I have not read all the post and not clear about the towing and suspension? I pull with a Colorado Z71 Off Road with weight and stabilazation. No problem with balance. My Jeep Unlimited with the tow package has no problem but I am close to tow capacity of the vehicle.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:10pm
rawest50,

I also have a 2016 Colorado, and there is not one pertinent post with my ability to tow, nice info, and interesting read. Appreciate conversation, end of the day, if vehicle is rated and capable - good to go.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by DavMar

I will have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion in that there is a difference between SumoSprings and airbag suspension systems. SumoSprings are a “passive” system where air bags are “active” suspension system.

If the springs are compressed, and carrying the additional load, there is little difference. What I'm talking about is discussed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

If the springs are compressed, and carrying the additional load, there is little difference. What I'm talking about is discussed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

Great video! Thanks for sharing it and its one that I think anyone pulling a trailer should view. I completely agree with the video and your conclusion. If you’re ONLY using an airbag system or a product such as SumoSprings to compensate for trailer weight distribution you will not get the benefits that a good weight distribution hitch (WDH) gives you when towing. Even if you have an additional suspension system improvement such as the airbag or SumoSprings it should not take the place of a WDH so we are in agreement. I too use the Fastway e2 WDH system that also gives me additional anti-sway control which I believe is very important. Any aftermarket shocks, airbag, helper springs, or a product such as SumoSprings should only be used as an additional improvement to your vehicle suspension system and again not as a replacement for the WDH. I think we’ve may have gotten our apples and oranges mixed up on this subject, if so forgive me.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm
+1 to DavMar
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:19pm

I think we’ve may have gotten our apples and oranges mixed up on this subject, if so forgive me.
It happens all the time. I misunderstand you, you misunderstand me, or we both misunderstand each other. It will all come out in the wash if we give it enough time and thought.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:30pm
Man I didn’t mean to start a s*#t storm. I like the idea of the sumosprings to give the truck less sag when carrying weight in the bed. I would get those and for sure the WDH. Once we get the trailer I will post a pic of how it looks. Should be next week weather permitting. We bought the trailer on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass and we live on the west side and it’s been snowing everyday on the pass. I’d like dry roads when I bring the trailer home. I’ll find out how it all handles over a Pass right out of the shoot.

DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Woody.1

Man I didn’t mean to start a s*#t storm. I like the idea of the sumosprings to give the truck less sag when carrying weight in the bed. I would get those and for sure the WDH. Once we get the trailer I will post a pic of how it looks. Should be next week weather permitting. We bought the trailer on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass and we live on the west side and it’s been snowing everyday on the pass. I’d like dry roads when I bring the trailer home. I’ll find out how it all handles over a Pass right out of the shoot.

Fear not you didn't start a sh*t storm, far from it. LOL

Just an open discussion of different opinions, as long as they are respectful nothing wrong with that and I'm sure everyone would agree. Smile

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:03pm

I went with the Black 47 density SumoSprings, just a few extra bucks over the Blue 40 and I figure the best of both worlds don't need the heavy duty Yellow 54. Been using them for over a year now and pleased with the performance. The only other suspension upgrade I've been thinking about is better shocks.

Thank you much!  One more for you: is your part number 610-47 or 612-47?  (the 612 seems to be the new model redesigned for the 3rd generation Tacoma, I don't know how long they've been available)

Thanks again
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:10pm
Woody, your topic was really interesting and, far from it being stormy, was really educational.  I for one, had never seen the calculated and measured effect of a WDH and it makes me feel a lot more confident in my decision to have spent the dough on an E2.  Now I understand better why it works so well.

Kudos for bringing up the topic!!
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>