R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicles - Event Date: 28 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow vehicles
    Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm
Removing the thermostat will not fix an overheat issue, it just allows engine to be at a certain temp before allowing free flow. I agree with Keith you need to have to coolant system flushed and inspected. There are several things that can cause reduced coolant flow. You may need to increase airflow, I don't know without working on it personally. I would start with cleaning it up and proceed from there, selling the Pod will not fix the truck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
WillyBob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:41pm
Mike:
Your right....removing the thermostat did not solve the overheating.  Will take your advice about flushing the system.  Increasing air flow?  Better take it to the Chev dealer and ask.
Thanks
JivinWilly
WillyBob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 6:40pm
Looking at maybe trading the S10 for an older Tacoma with extended cab.  The one with the 245hp motor should pull the pod ok?  Don't know all the specs though.  Have to investigate.
Thanks
JivinWilly
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:11am
WillyBob,

After you have insured the coolant system is right, folks have added aux fans, normally electric to increase air flow over the radiator, the more expensive ones are temp controlled, and would come on when needed. Just a suggestion to look at, and again not until you have the coolant system checked.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by WillyBob

Looking at maybe trading the S10 for an older Tacoma with extended cab.  The one with the 245hp motor should pull the pod ok?  Don't know all the specs though.  Have to investigate.
Thanks
How old is the S10? How many miles? It really shouldn't have issues towing the R-pod unless it's old and past its prime. The V6 Tacoma with the tow package should be good for 6500 lbs or in that neighborhood depending on vintage. Our Tacoma is the crew cab version plus the tow package. It would tow the R-pod easily.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
WillyBob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:05am
Our S10 is a 2003 with 85K miles and in great shape.  Just don't think it has the umph to tow the rpod with it's 195hp V6.  Thanks for the info on the Tacoma.
JivinWilly
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:34am

Our S10 is a 2003 with 85K miles and in great shape.  Just don't think it has the umph to tow the rpod with it's 195hp V6.  Thanks for the info on the Tacoma.
14 years is enough time for the cooling system to become clogged. I would think that a radiator flush or re-coring would be advised, especially if you haven't had it serviced for 14 years. Likewise, the water passages in the engine could be gunked up. It's not just the miles on an engine/cooling system. Time is the larger factor.
bp
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:56pm
On our next trip this weekend, our 2004 Dakota will pass 140K.  it pulls just fine in all the mountains of the Sierra, though on really steep climbs, I to go slowly.  Never had a problem with over heating. As normal maintenance, I just had the cooling system flushed and put in fresh coolant.  The prior owner of our truck used synthetic oil for all of its life before our purchase and we've done likewise.  Supposedly, the synthetic oil is more stable and maintains it's lubricity at higher temperatures.  

What I've found is that for smaller trucks, it's best to keep your speed down.  But then when you're out with your Pod, you probably don't need to be in a hurry anyway [unless you're trying to out run a hurricane or tornado].   We rarely go over 65 on the freeway, and my practice is to set the cruise control to about 60.  i turn off the overdrive if it starts shifting up and down on a grade.  For steep grades, I'll shift down to 2nd.  I use the turnouts a lot since the rest of the world is in a hurry and I don't want to tempt fate with someone's road rage.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
WillyBob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:00pm
Thanks Fred.  Your Dakota has a V8, while the S10 is a V6. Big difference.  
JivinWilly
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:04pm

Thanks Fred.  Your Dakota has a V8, while the S10 is a V6. Big difference.
It's not that simple. Our Tacoma has a V6, and is a fine tow vehicle. Our F-150 is a V6, and will out-pull the available V8. The vintage and/or cooling systems are probably at issue.
bp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>