R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicles - Event Date: 28 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow vehicles
    Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm
Willy, I honestly don't know what the S10 V6 is like.  Years ago, I had a Ford Ranger with a 4L V6 and it would have done fine.  I actually looked for one because they seem to age a little better than the Dakotas but none was in my price range.  Ahh the joys of living on a retiree's budget.  

I shy away from GM products, personally, b/c all the GM products I ever owned seemed to rattle apart and didn't last.  I also looked for a Nissan Frontier V6, but alas, as with the Ford, all were out of my price range.  Fortunately, the prior owner took pretty good care of the Dakota and we've done some improvements like new ball joints and shocks and it's doing pretty well, uh err at least so far.  

So, I'll keep on driving slowly and using turnouts and, hopefully, the Dakota will not break down or over heat on me.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Nomad2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:13pm
My wife & I are new Poders (2016 179) and are hoping to use my 2002 S10 (same specs as yours). We have the same concerns. Were you able to resolve your overheating problem?  If so, how and what kind of hitch and sway control are you using?

Appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks. 
Gary & Julie
2016 Rpod 179
2010 Toyota Highlander
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:43pm
towed my 2017.5 178 from Va. to Tenn. this summer to catch the eclipse.  I had I thought readied my 2005 toyota tundra for its maiden voyage with this camper.  Once I hit the mtns however I watched as the temp gauge climbed and climbed (remembering that was one thing I had not gone through as the truck had never overheated so assumed it was not a problem).  Pulled off and had the radiator drained and refilled.  Kept going, but still with the temp gauge climbing.  Finally had to pull off again, find a shop, spend the night, and had the radiator replaced the next morning.  No more cooling issues.  Tundra does have towing package although I had to add some heavy lifting springs in the back.
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
towed my 2017.5 178 from Va. to Tenn. this summer to catch the eclipse.  I had I thought readied my 2005 toyota tundra for its maiden voyage with this camper.  Once I hit the mtns however I watched as the temp gauge climbed and climbed (remembering that was one thing I had not gone through as the truck had never overheated so assumed it was not a problem).  Pulled off and had the radiator drained and refilled.  Kept going, but still with the temp gauge climbing.  Finally had to pull off again, find a shop, spend the night, and had the radiator replaced the next morning.  No more cooling issues.  Tundra does have towing package although I had to add some heavy lifting springs in the back.
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
RVC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:05pm
I had the same problem with my Silverado 1500. We tow up to the mountains a lot so I said screw it and bought an older F350 7.3, put a chip in it with a 4" exhaust and it pulls like a mad man! A little overkill but hey!
2013 178
2001 Ford F350 diesel
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:20pm
diesel.  overkill is good.

2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
WillyBob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:26pm
Nomad....we found no solution to the overheating issue. Now the pod is winterized and sitting in the drive till spring when we plan on selling it and getting another Forest River product that folds down.  Sadly.  But, I do intend on having the the cooling system flushed before towing anything.  
JivinWilly
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 7:50pm
WillyBob, it might be prudent to test your S10 by towing a popup or fold down camper as you describe it.

I don't know if you could rent one for a weekend, but it could be cheap insurance that you're not making a mistake. It could still very well be that your S10 has issues related to being stressed by towing.

I suggest visiting an S10 forum, there must be a few, and gleaning some info from other owners.

Your 195Hp is not a lot, and the torque rating is probably similar. I owned a 2003 Toyota 4Runner  4.0L V6 for ten years, and when I purchase my first camper, I thought it was the camper that caused my highway towing issues (weak on hills and highway speeds). So I bought an R-Pod 177 thinking it was more aerodynamic, and guess what, the 4Runner was still not great at towing at highway speeds (65mph). I was in 3rd gear for entire trips (4 speed auto). I upgraded the tow vehicle instead of making another camper purchase.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 7:54pm
excellent advice. thanks
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
Woody.1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 11:57am
Hey gang,
First post here - we just bought a 179 and I’ll be towing it with 2013 4x4 Tacoma double cab with tow package. I’m having dealer add the WDH.
My question is should I get air bag suspension for the Tacoma? I’ve been searching in the forum, but haven’t come across any mention of using them.
Will have a couple of bikes and probably a cooler in truck bed. No serious weight.
Thanks,
Woody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>