R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter cover
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:49pm
We just ended our first season and covered the RPOD for the winter.  We bought this cover on Amazon months ago and it fits the 180/179 perfectly.  It fits over the antenna, a/c unit and the Thule awning. One person can do it with a 5 foot ladder and a broom.  Just put the rolled up cover on the roof and roll it out to the rear and use the broom to push it out to the sides.  Then move the ladder around and pull down the sides.  It has a door that lines up so you still have access inside so that we can winterize it later.  Its a little thin (you can still see the RPOD logo on the front through it) but that makes it light to maneuver around.  Even if it lasts two winters it is worth the money.
This is it:

Classic Accessories OverDrive PermaPRO Deluxe R-Pod Cover, Fits up to 20' long Trailers - Lightweight Ripstop Fabric with RV Cover (80-257-171001-00)

OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:43pm
I purchased this same cover july 2016 and almost sent it back because it was so thin and light. I didn't and used it on the 179 all winter rain and snow and this summer. It turned out to be a good cover and I believe it will make it a couple more years. nice cover 
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:42am
I got the same cover. Looks like a good quality product. Time will tell
2018 R-Pod 180
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:58am
Same here, on my second cover, first one fell apart and was replaced free.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 2:49pm
I bought the exact same cover from Amazon and just put it on yesterday. My only concern is the somewhat loose fit despite using both straps, there are still plenty of loose spots for the wind to get under the cover, also not sure if I like the cover over the fenders as it creates another wind trap. I don't have the Hood River addition so the cover covers half of the wheels. I'm considering rolling it up and tying it so the fender is exposed. I don't want to run extra straps as I believe it is beneficial not to have the cover pressed hard against the top and sides. Opinions?

I also see feedback and reviews about the super light weight, I think that is an asset as it is better than a heavy, rough material pressed against the top, or slapping in the wind. Makes for easier use as well.

Be sure to check for the less obvious puncture points, I have cut up pool noodles on the bottom edges of the fenders, and on the frame at the front corners which are fairly sharp.

2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm
Another thought, I have removed the spare tire and mount from the back. perhaps that would have provided more tension and "tightened" up the cover a bit. How has this been done by others? I hope we can get some replies on whether folks use the cover with or without the spare tire in place. If we have decent weather this coming weekend I may slip it on and see if it changes anything.
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:37pm
I am also on my second cover.  The first one developed holes where the gutters are on my slide out and at the end of the track that the R Dome slides into.  Since the first was under warranty, Classic Accessories sent the second one free of charge.  I tried the pool noodle thing w/ the first cover but they had a tendency to fall off so what I did w/ this one is to locate the spots likely to wear out (experience from first cover) and put a layer of gorilla tape on the inside of the cover in those areas.  I also put some tape on those sharp edges trying to blunt the roughness.  Will see how this cover holds up over the winter.  Time will tell.
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
 Post Reply Post Reply