R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWF 8955 Converter - Event Date: 14 Apr 2017 - 07 Oct 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: WF 8955 Converter
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by ChetC

I had issues with two converters in my 2017 180.  I wrote about my theory and fix here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8847&KW=converter&title=theory-on-failed-power-converters-possible-fix 

Since this fix, approximately 30,000+ miles ago, I have not had an issue.  

ChetC, I reviewed the thread where you posted your theory about why the converters are failing and found it interesting. What struck me is you said that you think its vibration that is causing the converters to fail. After a career in electronics when someone is talking about vibration and failure to me that points to not a failure of the circuit board components but of the circuit board itself. Maybe this is why when you add the "blue board" that cushions the vibration you don't have failure. You need to remember this that all circuit boards, the construction of the board itself are not alike. In most cases the quality of the circuit board construction and also it's components inserted into it depend on the sub-contractors that manufactures the board. I myself after reading this am going to take a hard look at my converter panel and may just add a blue foam board under it for extra insurance. Better safe then sorry! Thanks!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:01pm
I reviewed the post also. The "fix" ended up being your replacing the WFCO converter with a  Progressive Dynamics 9260. I doubt the "blue board" contributed much, if any, to the resulting success. If you had installed another WFCO converter, then it would have been possible to see if the "blue board" made a difference.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I reviewed the post also. The "fix" ended up being your replacing the WFCO converter with a  Progressive Dynamics 9260. I doubt the "blue board" contributed much, if any, to the resulting success. If you had installed another WFCO converter, then it would have been possible to see if the "blue board" made a difference.

Maybe, maybe not.  It's hard to say which was responsible for the fix, but I know I was not comfortable with the amount of vertical flex in the converter tray.  Having said that, I had two WFCOs fail and I wanted to cover all the bases in what I hoped to be, as so far has been, a final solution.

I feel like the blue-board was key though as most of the WFCO converter failures reported on here are in 180s, which would indicate a mounting issue not a WFCO issue.  Then again, I have no idea how they are mounted in other RPod models, or the popularity of the various models.  Maybe there are just more 180s on the road.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:00am
We have a 179. It is mounted just inside the door below the pantry. The location is very near the axle. I did not think the power panel and converter module in ours had much play. If it were at the very back, I could see it getting more bounce, but the refrigerator is even closer to the back of the 179 and it has had no problems. I am inclined to think it was a bad batch of some component that failed. Hopefully, the cause of these failures has been diagnosed and current production units will be more reliable.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Caryd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:45pm
I'm picking up 180 at dealer tomorrow after 3.5 weeks. They replaced converter and fixed some other problems.
This is not the Camping World dealer so I hope for better results. Taking trip to GSM(Smokies) on 10/23 to check it out, but taking the charger just in case.
Cary & Mary Stringer
Bay Springs MS
Caryd9474@gmail.com

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:29am
I replaced the converter on our first pod several years ago. I have step-by-step instructions with pictures on here somewhere if anyone needs the photos, but it's a pretty straightforward process if you're using the factory replacement board.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Caryd

I'm picking up 180 at dealer tomorrow after 3.5 weeks. They replaced converter and fixed some other problems.
This is not the Camping World dealer so I hope for better results. Taking trip to GSM(Smokies) on 10/23 to check it out, but taking the charger just in case.
Cary & Mary Stringer
Bay Springs MS
Caryd9474@gmail.com

Taking a charger is a good plan. I plan on carrying the one I purchased to get us through our last trip with us on future trips just in case also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
RobnCari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Caryd

I'll never pay cash for an rv again. If financed I would let them come get it. No more Forest River products for me and no more Camping World. Caryd9474@gmail.com

This is a little bit a thread jack. You know if they repossess that doesn't get you off the hook?!? You still owe the total amount you signed for! If they repossess and sell you owe minus the selling price. How hard do you think they'll work at getting the best selling price. So "letting them come get it" gets you more problems than a failing converter.
And really? All this over a converter? Just put a different one in there. One that has a more reliable track record. It won't matter if FR approves or not if it doesn't fail. Moss Magnuson act protects the rest of your warranty.
Kudos for paying cash!
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD AC
2018 RP 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

I replaced the converter on our first pod several years ago. I have step-by-step instructions with pictures on here somewhere if anyone needs the photos, but it's a pretty straightforward process if you're using the factory replacement board.

Yes, please do see if you can find your post and paste a link or re-post because I for one would like to see what is involved in replacing the converter and I'm sure others would too.

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 4:35pm
[/QUOTE]
Taking a charger is a good plan. I plan on carrying the one I purchased to get us through our last trip with us on future trips just in case also.
[/QUOTE]

Now your making me paranoid that I should also consider carrying my battery charger! Confused
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>