R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoof sealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof sealing
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:52am
Got new rpod in July. When winterizing, just 4 months later, I find that some seals are cracked

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cSwR6nKxGCum12Ef2

Apparently, warranty on the sealant is only 90 days. So I have to fix it myself. 

Should I peal the existing sealant off (it's mostly fine except for the corners of the vent), or is it ok to seal on top of the existing sealant? 

PS. Attention to detail on Rpod assembly leaves a lot to be desired.
2018 R-Pod 180
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:32am
You're right MIK. Looks like they turned some Chimpanzies loose on the assembly. Don't take this as the final word, but being a painter all my life, and I'm doing this to mine, just take off the loose, cracked, or separating stuff. Any more is not necessary in my opinion, not to mention it's more work. I scrape gently with a small scraper (maybe a flathead screwdriver), being careful not to gouge too deep, then clean with some lacquer thinner and rag, then use silicone sealant. I got that at Lowes, they have different colors. I think the stuff they use on the top, as sloppy as it was applied, will keep out water, so I only clean that. Again, this is just me, somebody else in here might differ.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:54am
If you are using lacquer thinner make sure you don't get it on any plastic or paint , it will eat it. 
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:23am
You might also want to consider using alcohol to clean the surface.  It doesn't leave a residue and doesn't hurt the roof finish.  There are some self leveling RV roof sealants that come in caulk tubes you may want to consider.  It may bond to the existing sealant a little better, provided the surface onto which you're putting the sealant is cleaned well and dry.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:34pm
thanks for these tips. They're right on! Over the years as a painter, I've learned to use lacquer thinner to get something done quicker, but you have to be careful. Alcohol is not as strong, but safer. The roof is hard to get to. I cleaned mine the best I could, and I'm going to apply Miniers (Sp) wax, but it looks like even though whoever did the sealing was late for lunch,it looks like there is nothing that would cause a leak. But if something is coming off, like lostagain says, clean it, let it dry and use what he says...
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:24am
Will have to inspect mine again.  I did notice how messy this sealant is applied....mine even had sawdust embedded in it.  Why do you think it cracked?  Sun?  Flexing of the vent or bad installation?
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Subzilla

Why do you think it cracked?  Sun?  Flexing of the vent or bad installation?

The sealant is soft and in a good shape. By the look of it, it cracked because corners of the vent don't lie flat on the roof, and flexing away from it. Basically, it stretched and ripped the sealant. I guess, to prevent this from happening, sealant needs to be pushed under the plastic between roof and the vent.

It's the same with the rear spoiler. It's a very light plastic that flexes between mount points, ripping the sealant. I might install eternabond tape next year.   
2018 R-Pod 180
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:44am
Sunlight does not help caulking.  I think a product called Dicor would be something you might want consider.
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by john in idaho

Sunlight does not help caulking.  I think a product called Dicor would be something you might want consider.

That's the one I ordered. Planning to fix it this weekend.
2018 R-Pod 180
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:17pm
I recently used Dicor Diseal tape on my spoiler.  Unsightly but it works great.  I placed it over the screws on top and sides.  Went through two rainstorms with no leaks so far. I am actually going to experiment on a test piece of tape and see if I can buff down the shiny surface of the tape and paint to match the roof so it will blend in. 
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>