Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wish List?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wish List?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm
My opinion, and not an assumption, Pods are popular because they fit a demand and a niche. Reasonably priced and towable by a wide variety of vehicles. So altogether in your tow vehicle and trailer you don't have a huge investment. Are there limitations? Yes Is it the "gold standard", No. I know when I bought mine I had no dealer and no warranty, and I can't complain for the investment. In reality it's the price of a compact car in the US. I have had issues I had to fix, with the help of this forum and my own perseverance, so far so good. I've spent weeks in it, in all kinds of weather, it keeps tickin'. With maintenance. And I'm not broke fixing it or maintaining it. Can you get a lemon, sure, happens in every assembly line. Altogether for price and what a Pod does, it's good.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:21pm
We are on our second pod and have been very happy with both! There have been a couple of minor issues all fixed under warranty or by our dealer ( who wanted to keep us happy!) Our longest stay has been 5 weeks and we loved it.
We bought from a dealer that was 35 miles away. Definitely paid more then we would have at couch's BUT the dealer was kept accountable and they fixed any problems we found under warranty and quickly.
Would still buy another one if they come out with a floor plan that I would like.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:48pm
Several of you have done a much better job with the message  did not convey effectively.  Thank you.  We went to our first camper show a number of years ago, and saw the high end RVs and were scared away by the price.  Dar saw R Pods on the Today Show, we looked at them and have been podding ever since.  If all of the things that I see folks complaining about on this forum were done the price point would be so high that we would still be camping in the back of a van.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:12pm
My thoughts exactly Keith. A few years ago I saw an R-pod down near Half Moon Bay, and I noted the name & looked it up. A year or so later we bought one.

Next step up "could" be an Airstream with an MSRP close to $60,000. Gulp.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
adventurelust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote adventurelust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
I agree with quality control issues.  I think the manufacturer expects the dealers to do the minor repairs before they sell them to the consumer, but that doesn't always happen.  Mine came with several issues that I was willing to resolve within one weekend, but it shouldn't be that way.  

The purchasing dealer is required to do the repairs if you take it back to them, but if you take it to another dealer they are not obligated to do the repairs. Since my dealer was some 90 miles from my home ( only one I  could find a 182G in stock ) it made more sense to do the repairs myself. 

JMHO
"Eighty percent of success is showing up" Woody Allen
tjdmobile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjdmobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:49pm
Our wish list is a combination of practical improvements, and gripes.

1.  Yes, please move the furnace.  I would rather have it under the kitchen cabinets on our 179 than where it is under the bed.
2.  Exhaust fan of ANY sort in the kitchen.  We were not excited on that first cold day to have to open the front door and pull air through the fan in the wet bath to keep from having to deal with Carbon Monoxide when using the range.
3.  Mounting points for "optional" cabinets.  They could sell us the optional cabinets over the bed / kitchen counters, and we would buy them.
4.  Deeper drawers.  Like others, I was handy and was able to build new boxes for the kitchen drawers which were deeper in both directions.  That could have been stock
5.  Here's my gripe:  Better workmanship / better dealer prep.  So many things didn't line up properly, close properly, etc.  Places not expected to be seen by the owner (such as behind the stereo) totally loaded with construction garbage.  In spite of all these things I still feel we made a solid buy.

I used to think I wish we had chosen a model with a dry bath, but when we considered the lack of storage space, we made the right choice with the 179.
2018 R-Pod 179
2014 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by tjdmobile

Our wish list is a combination of practical improvements, and gripes.

1.  Yes, please move the furnace.  I would rather have it under the kitchen cabinets on our 179 than where it is under the bed.
2.  Exhaust fan of ANY sort in the kitchen.  We were not excited on that first cold day to have to open the front door and pull air through the fan in the wet bath to keep from having to deal with Carbon Monoxide when using the range.
3.  Mounting points for "optional" cabinets.  They could sell us the optional cabinets over the bed / kitchen counters, and we would buy them.
4.  Deeper drawers.  Like others, I was handy and was able to build new boxes for the kitchen drawers which were deeper in both directions.  That could have been stock
5.  Here's my gripe:  Better workmanship / better dealer prep.  So many things didn't line up properly, close properly, etc.  Places not expected to be seen by the owner (such as behind the stereo) totally loaded with construction garbage.  In spite of all these things I still feel we made a solid buy.

I used to think I wish we had chosen a model with a dry bath, but when we considered the lack of storage space, we made the right choice with the 179.

#1 I think it would fit quite nicely under the sink, even if we had to give up one or two of the drawers in order to do so. I would gladly take the furnace space as storage to replace the drawer(s). I don't think people would use the furnace going down the highway. The only downside would be the spare tire location would mean the hot exhaust would be hitting the tire so the mount for that would need to be changed/relocated. If the spare were underneath (using something like the BAL Hide-A-Spare), it would resolve that issue. Install a longer sewage hose 'bumper' carrier, and another issue would be solved--too short a carrier to hold a practical length of hose.
#2 I would like to see some sort of exhaust fan there as well. Unfortunately, the location of the stove on the angle makes that tricky. If the cabinet were "L" shaped so the stove could sit parallel to the wall, it would be easier to have a vent hood over the stove. The rectangular shape would be easier to use for storage as well.
#3 Interesting idea although over the kitchen is not something that could be viable because of the roof's curve. If the back were squared-off, then it would work since here would be the needed space. The front has the same issue. The shelf I installed works quite well with the bins I strap to it.
#4 I did the kitchen drawers first. I made them longer, but did not make them deeper. I should have. When I did the ones for the wardrobe, I made them both longer and deeper, taking advantage of the wasted space behind the original drawers.
#5 Yes, lots of trash in hidden places. When they are assembled, the workers don't clean as they go and then trash gets covered over. It would be nice if the dealer would vacuum that trash out as part of dealer prep, but it is "out of sight, out of mind."
Like you, the bigger kitchen was the deciding factor for us. We decided we could live with the wet bath. The None of the small trailers with the queen bed turned so it has access on both sides that I have seen have as nice a kitchen space and storage as the RP179. We will stick with it until we find something that has a layout that we can live with. In the meantime, I have made a number of modifications to ours (see link in signature) to make it even better and more suited to our use. Because it was economical, I can afford to do these modifications. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ghosthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:01am
#1  Shelf over the bed should be a factory option.
In our 189 there should be an option for similar shelf at the other end over the sofa.

#2 replace 3/4 " hitch mount for spare tire on rear with standard 2" hitch mount.
Thus making it possible to put a cargo carrier, a motorcycle/scooter carrier, or almost anything you can imagine back there.

#3 Small fold out shelf for drinks, remotes on the sides of the Sofa on the wall above the arms.

You can get comfortable watching TV but you have no place to put your drink down?
St.Relwof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote St.Relwof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:32pm
There is an RPod Wish List that owners contribute to on Amazon -

It's been great for finding or listing items that other Poders have found helpful.
There are also several items on Pintrest you might find useful.
Andyrpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andyrpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:35am
Is there a formalized method for bringing up issues many RPOD owners are having with their campers? Is there a customer support email or hotline that Forest River has? Might be worth following up on it to see if they could at least be open to hearing some of our concerns.
AC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>