R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwinterizing 178 blue model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: winterizing 178 blue model
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:45pm
So just got back from Ocracoke Island and a stay at Teeter's campground.  Awesome late fall weather.  Two other Podders also camping.  Back in Northern Virginia and facing an arctic front that leaves no room for lack of winterization, I began the research on this forum and you tube videos linked to the forum.  Having bought the pod in spring 17 I've never winterized this particular camper (lots of others).  Decided to go with the belt and suspenders approach and blow out the lines before filling them with pink.  That went fine.  A you tube video had showed on a green model 179 the pump next to the hot water heater and easy peasy fluid transfer.  On the 178, it ain't there, instead a furnace.  So turned on the pump and noticed a whine coming from below the range on the slide out kitchen.  Got my flashlight out and looked above the bed framing and below the slide out channel and caught sight of a jumble of wires and some water lines!  Further inspection allowed me to confirm that the water pump was boxed up in this impossible to get to place, but if one was willing to scrape, contort, and see with your hand, one might find a valve on a hose and an opening on the other end of the hose.  This is what I was looking for, at least I could with some literal pain get to the valve and grab the hose.  Only thing is that it wasn't long enough to stick in a gallon pink and go.  So used a cut away gallon jug that allowed me suck up enough juice to get the pressure going.   Job done.  
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:21pm
That is one tough way to burn calories!  For the past 6 years I have just blown out the lines (takes less than 1 minute) on my 177 and call it good except that I do use 1 pint of the pink to put in the 3 traps (2 sinks and 1 shower), so I literally get 8 years out of 1 gallon of rv antifreeze.  Still using the jug I bought in fall of 2012, price I paid was 99 cents.  Tonight's low is supposed to be 17, a bit cool for this time of year, but the pod is now fully hibernating, all is good.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:43pm
yep. could of prob got by with just the air.  but lots of guys were calling for both.  guess it just depends on your peace of mind starting out.  maybe next year I'll take the single approach with air.
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:11pm
The way I see it is if jato who lives in the cold Great White North "gets by" with just using compressed air and little RV antifreeze in the traps, for many years, that should be testimony enough for us in more southern environment. Hmmm? In the end though its "to each their own" on how they want to winterize but it should give you pause for thought.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:28am
Thanks Dave.  I was skeptical my first year and went the 'traditional pink antifreeze' route.  After hearing from others through our camping expeditions and from family members how they had used just compressed air for 'many years w/o issue' I thought I would give it a go.  And how about that, they were right !
God's pod
'11 model 177
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:34am
and time for a beer rather than rapping knuckles against an enclosed space that no human was meant to gain access for a siphon tube.  air next time.  do you pop the valve on the inlet line?
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:42am
Hi Zappapod,
Welcome. We have a 178 and to get to the hose take off the left panel under the sink and it's all there. Very easy to do. This was my first year of winterizing and I did just fine I hope.

Ron
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:57am
thanks.  was that with the slide in or out?
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
I had the slide out when I did mine just for more room to work.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:47pm
Definitely do this with the slide out.  As far as "popping the valve on the inlet line" I am not sure what you mean by this unless you are referring to the valve on the city water connection.  If that is the case I cannot speak from experience, I have never used that connection as we either dry camp or bring our own well water.  Am sure someone who uses air and city water will let you know how they do it the proper way. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>