R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti Sway Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti Sway Hitch
    Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:57pm
I'm in the process of purchasing my first R-Pod and the dealer is recommending I get an anti sway hitch and he's willing to sell me one for $749. He says I don't have to disconnect it when I back up.  
My question to this forum is;
1) In your experience, have you needed an anti sway hitch towing the R-Pod?
2) What do you think of that price?
3) Is there a better place to purchase one?

Thanks
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:25pm
You didn't say which RPOD and what tow vehicle you're using but unless you have a 3/4 ton pickup you will benefit from a weight distribution/sway control hitch. The Fastway E2 WDH in the 600/6000 pound version is popular with Pod owners. The E2 incorporates both WD and Sway control and does not have to be disconnected for backing. Standalone friction sway control devices do have to be disconnected for backing and do not provide any weight distribution. The E2 can be bought from Amazon or Etrailer.com for $250-$300. Installation is fairly simple if you're at all handy with wrenches. My final advice to new hitch owners is read the manual, understand the manual, understand the adjustment process, and go through the adjustment process yourself. Even if you pay a dealer to install it, don't trust them to do it right. From personal experience, and the experience of many others, dealers don't have a clue. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:11pm
As mentioned, you'll need to specify the model R-Pod and your tv. You'll get lots of info here.

We have the lightest model R-Pod, a 171, and a 4500 pound rated tv with towing package and it works fine 95% of the time without any added sway control. I do have a friction sway control that I put on when it's very windy or I otherwise feel it's needed.

Some people are 'belts and suspenders types' and want max protection. Nothing wrong with that if you feel it's needed.

Good luck
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:49pm
I have two 1/2 ton pickups, rated at 6000 and 7000 respectively and have never had an issue or needed a WDH. I have a 178. Don't disagree there are tow vehicles that do require one. Lot of variables, we need some more info to advise correctly.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:34pm
Total agreement with the above posts.  We have towed our 177 (2400 lb empty) with a 94 F-150 and don't need WDH or sway control.  With our '08 and currently '13 Explorer it is necessary to have a anti-sway bar for safety sake. I do have to loosen the lever before backing up, but not an issue for me, have been doing it since March 2011.   Cost to purchase and install myself was less than $ 100.00
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:44pm
Here is my take on this, you can tow with a Peterbilt or a tank that doesn't mean your pod wont sway
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:05pm
And my take on it is this. One of my neighbors came up to me yesterday when I was working on the Pod and told me the story of him having a big wind storm just outside of Missoula Montana and it blew the pod over and flipped his four runner two times he had sway control and everything. He now tows with a much bigger truck.Stuff happens.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:26am
Originally posted by ZuBrew

I'm in the process of purchasing my first R-Pod and the dealer is recommending I get an anti sway hitch and he's willing to sell me one for $749. He says I don't have to disconnect it when I back up.  
My question to this forum is;
1) In your experience, have you needed an anti sway hitch towing the R-Pod?
2) What do you think of that price?
3) Is there a better place to purchase one?

Thanks

It would be nice to know what you intend to tow with. And to a smaller amount, which Pod you are going to buy..

But to try to answer your questions..

1) We used a WDH and no sway control with our Pod. We had the WDH from our Airstream. I noticed some podders used one, so I set it up and towed with it, towing with a 2004 Expedition at the time, 9000lb tow rating. We felt it towed better and rode better with the WDH, and never towed again without it. Never had a sway issue. BUT, for sure, some owners have.

2) At that price, my guess is it's a Weight Distributing Hitch w/ sway control. and includes installation and setup. I would want to know exactly WHICH system he was selling you. Retail, a WDH and sway control can run from $300 to $3000.

Or he is ripping you a new one.

3) Etrailer is good place, but of course, you have to install and adjust it. No big deal if you can read and follow instructions, and know the difference between a socket and a open end wrench. You WILL need a couple large wrenches/sockets for assembling the head unit to the draw bar.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:11am
My two cents on this is as follows. If I were planning to tow my pod 25 miles down to the local campground in spring, and leave it there till i tow it home in the fall, I would NOT get Wdh or sway (unless it was really bad). Other than that, I would get Wdh with sway control. I think its a simple decision. I've never yet needed a seatbelt in my car/truck, yet, they are in every vehicle. It's just a good idea to take simple precautions. I would say that you would probably end up in a situation where a Wdh or sway control system was needed more often than a situation where your seatbelt is needed, yet, you will not have it. Do as you want, but I think it's dangerous and not worth it not to do everything you can to prevent a 3000 pound monster that is one inch away from your bumper, from flailing out of control and possibly overturning your vehicle. Bear in mind, even THIS does not guarantee you won't ever have a sway issue. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:02am
We were driving from NC to Florida to my parents this past Tuesday. there was a pickup truck hauling a cargo type enclosed trailer. It sure could have used at least sway control as we could see the trailer swaying and were concerned that it would be going out of control. We were doing the speed limit (65 mph) and were passed by this person. I should have frozen my dash cam video so I could have posted it to show why at least sway control is good to have, even if one does have a large pickup.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>