Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > podders Helping podders - pHp
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 9:29am
I'd be willing to get involved in this. I'd provide local information, make phone calls, etc., for a fellow podder. I'm not exactly in "touristy" area, though.

Terry, we're still in the Fort Myers area right now, but we're headed  your way in just a bit over a week. We had originally planned to stay only 3 days, then head north to GA for a couple of days. Right now it seems like the temps drop pretty fast not too far north, so we may try to extend our stay at Anastasia into the week a few days if possible, then head home right from there.

You'll probably be hearing from me about that campfire when we get there, since we plan to be there a few days.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:48pm

Well…..I was hoping someone (like Terry) would take the ball and run with it.  (Perhaps he’s off making a sandwich or something.)  So, in order to keep the idea alive, I propose the following – which you can vote up/down.  This is only intended to cover a couple of basic things and can be added to or changed as things progress.

1.                  Name: Podders Helping Podders

2.                  Logo:   pHp  to be placed in a field that can be modified only by Admin or the Moderators.  This will give browsers an immediate visual indicator that a given forum member participates.  See example below. (You creative types – please feel free to improve on what I have offered)

3.                  A new folder be created to state what PHP is about and list member/volunteers screen name and home State (ex. David – Central Indiana)

4.                  A forum member should have been active in either Pod forum for a minimum of 90 days and be of at least “Groupie” status (40 posts, I think) to be eligible to be placed on the PHP roster.  (Give us time to get to know each other.)  Those wanting to be placed on the roster should PM the Moderators – who will then assign the Logo and place their name in the folder.

5.                  Participation is 100% voluntary and gratuitous on behalf of all persons involved.

Example:                                                   

David   pHp

Groupie   “Podders Helping Podders”   

This requires the “blessing” and participation of Admin and the Moderators – so please speak up.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm
We can easily add a new group, "pHp", or "Podders Helping Podders", to replace the "groupie" and "senior member" labels, which we can manually assign to those that qualify.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GrandPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 7:41pm
  I don't feel that how long or how many post a person makes on a forum is any indication of their personal ethics or moral character or of their ability to help someone in need.. 
  Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:31am
Originally posted by GrandPod

I don't feel that how long or how many post a person makes on a forum is any indication of their personal ethics or moral character or of their ability to help someone in need.. 
  Tom

I agree.  Whether they have been lurking here for 2 weeks or 3 months isn't going to matter.  Unfortunately dishonest people are out there and if they want something, they'll find a way.  It is a safety concern for any of us, and something we all need to be aware of.  What can you do to protect yourself?  As a REALTOR we had guidelines to follow to protect ourselves when meeting someone at a vacant house (we are prime targets).  We could come up with similar guidelines to protect ourselves. 

I still think the idea is good and we are willing to join the pHp group.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:54am
We would be proud to be a pHp.....Linda and John- Upstate NY- Sullivan County
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 6:55am
Grandpod & yizit - good points and well taken.  It is really a matter of one's own discreation - since it is done via PM and there is no obligation on anyones' behalf.  However, one member suggested having a minimum time qualification and I can certainly see that point of view also.  That is why I posted the poll and asked for comments to see how most everyone felt.

If a person was a PHP, but only a member for a very short period and few posts, personally I probably would not feel comfortable (yet) initiating contact with them in the first place.  If this same person were to initiate contact with me, I would undoubtedly be a bit more cautious and conduct myself accordingly.

From what I am hearing so far....no restrictions - volunteer and leave it up to the judgement of those involved on a case by case, individual basis. 

yizit- I hope, once we get things going, you will share some of the "Realtor tips" that we could post in the folder to offer as some guidelines.

Admin - Thanks for helping!  I'm still waiting for someone artistiicly inclined to offer something better.  I do feel that any logo/designator should be something that only you guys can put in - to provide some minimal control.  If we do have problems with someone - you guys can remove the logo/designator. IMHO
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:54pm
"If we do have problems with someone - you guys can remove the logo/designator. IMH"

Big DITTO on that.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 6:54am
The following is offered by yizit as some excellent guidelines to follow - if one decides to meet someone (asking for assistance) in person.  I don't see this happening a lot but, that is up to each individual.  I'm sure we all, at some point in our lives, have been "snookered" by someone we thought we knew very well.  While the posts here offer clues to each of us, use caution and error on the side of safety.  Each who volunteers is to be commended for their big hearts in willingness to help.....but there are persons in this world that would prey on this.   

SUGGESTIONS FOR YOUR SAFETY:

1. Let someone know where you are going and who you are meeting. If you are suspicious take a buddy along.

2. Get phone numbers, complete names and addresses, license plate number, and type of vehicle driven.

3. When you arrive confirm the information given.

4. If person seeking “
pHp” assistance refuses to give any required information...DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER. Use your judgment if you feel police should be contacted.

5. Always walk behind the person seeking assistance.

6. Be aware of your surroundings.

7. Carry your cell phone on your person at all times. A good place for women is in their bra.

8. Never let your guard down.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:05pm
This is an "open" post to Admin and those who wish to participate.....

Thus far 7 persons have responded to the poll and (I count) 9 members expressed a favorable interest in participating - via posts in the thread.  This forum seems to have roughly 20 +or- regular "posters" on a daily basis.  So, my math indicates that somewhere in the 30% to 50 % range of members would like to do this.

If you still feel inclined to do this for the membership, I would say proceed forth and do what you need to do to make it happen - at your convenience.  The initial support has been stronger than I anticipated and speaks highly of the character of the membership - all consider yourselves commended.

I have done all that I can think of to do and consider my role in the process done.  I hope you appreciate the extra work that I have caused you! LOL  Also, please consider this as my request to be placed on the pHp roster.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>