R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with generator
    Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:44am
I'm really new here and hope someone can offer advice.  We have an RPod 179 and have done only a couple of short camping trips to sites with electricity and water.  In February we will take the RPod from South Carolina to Big Bend National Park in TX, meeting up with friends from TN.  After a week in Big Bend we will probably head to Guadalupe Mountains Park for a week.  Neither site will have service, so I thought, what better Christmas present for my hubby than a generator (to keep me warm and happy - and also because there's not a darn thing he needs).

First, what size generator would I need?  We want it to be propane.
Second, recommendations on brand?  We tow with a RAM 1500, so lots of room in the bed for generator and propane tanks.

Thank you very much,
Linda in SC
R-Pod 179, Gone With the Wind.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:29pm
If you're going to buy a generator, I would recommend purchasing one with enough power to run your air conditioner.  A 2,000 watt generator is generally incapable of doing this, particularly in really hot weather when it's harder to start air conditioners.

For the money, I think it's hard to beat this highly rated Champion inverter generator.  It's 3400 watts and dual fuel, so it runs on gasoline and propane.  It already has a 30 amp outlet tap, so it will plug straight into your Pod.  No muss, no fuss, no modifications.  For $1,100, I don't think you'll find a better overall value.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Luv2travel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:46pm
Thank you so much for the recommendation.  Greatly appreciated!!!Smile
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:59pm
Been reading good reviews on this Champion Brand. To be honest I was draw away from it due to knowing more of the Popular brands (lot more money for less Wattage).

Curious thought.. Why propane? Teach me something I may be still missing!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm
Hi Olddawgsrule:  We personally want propane since we have a 100 gallon propane tank buried in our yard at home.  Hopefully we can dual purpose the generator as a home back up.  The only disadvantage I see to the Champion recommended is weight; other than that it looks great.  My friend has two 2000watt generators because a single generator is too heavy for her to lift.  I may have to go that route also.  We have friends with Honda and Generac and both are happy with their generators.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 3:46pm
I just bought 2 honda 2000 watt gennys myself. I wanted enough power to run the whole pod, and when i only need a little power, i run only one of them. Also at 46 pounds, they can go anywhere. The other consideration is noise. These are the quietest running genny's you can get. Ofcourse there is the price,the EU2000I sells for 1,000 bucks (not on sale) And the companion genny with the 30 amp plug, runs 1,100 bucks. The parallels kit is about 75. bucks. I bought all of that for 1900 dollars on sale. If you can wait, maybe you can get that, or a better deal. And the last point I personally find a real goody, they fit in the bed of the pick up with the tonneau cover closed.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Luv2travel

Hi Olddawgsrule:  We personally want propane since we have a 100 gallon propane tank buried in our yard at home.  Hopefully we can dual purpose the generator as a home back up.  The only disadvantage I see to the Champion recommended is weight; other than that it looks great.  My friend has two 2000watt generators because a single generator is too heavy for her to lift.  I may have to go that route also.  We have friends with Honda and Generac and both are happy with their generators.

Thank you! I'm always curious about peoples choices!

The 'popular' brands of portable are smaller in size and lighter in weight, yet don't give the same 'bang for the buck'. It all comes down to what you can afford and it's use.

My intent is to have a generator, yet for me, for the season, I never see it coming out of the back of the truck. So once loaded, I won't pick it up again until the season is over. If needed, lift the tunnel cover and run it. But I have a pickup as a TV, so to each their own requirements.

My requirement is it's not taller than 18". For there I move forward in 'my' choices.

Be interested to hear what you end up buying!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 4:11pm
We use two Honda EU2000i generators in parallel. One is a Companion model, which has 20A and 30A outputs. The 30A is a locking marine socket that had to be adapted to a TT30 socket with an inexpensive dogbone so we can plug out 179's cord into it. We also have a shared 6-gallon external tank (giving us an 8-gallon capacity when including the generators' tanks), so we can run two or three days straight without refueling.

My wife, who has a bad knee, can move the Hondas one at a time. We previously had a couple of Ryobi 2200s that she couldn't move.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 4:34pm
Thank you very much!  It's really important to me that the generator is quiet, and I really do have to be able to move it/them from the bed of the truck for those times I take the RPod with my sister or friends.  Being able to cover them with the tonneau is awesome!
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:15pm
Just a heads up Linda, my wife and I spent some time in Big Bend a few years back and some of the state campgrounds had a no generator policy. Apparently the area is big on bird watching and complete silence was a big deal.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>