R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with generator
    Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Get the larger generator with a push-button start and get a ramp so you can roll it up into your truck. I have a Generac iX2000 with a recoil start. If you can't pull a lawnmower starter rope, you won't be able to pull the starter rope on a generator. The strength needed is roughly equivalent.

Edit: I just did a quick search and found a pickup truck crane which would certainly help with getting a heavier generator loaded into your truck.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Luv2travel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
This forum is so great!  Thank you to everyone who posted.  Looks like I’ve changed my initial thought and am now looking at two Champion 2000 generators.  At 48 pounds I can lift them into the truck bed and they will fit under the cover.  Specs say they will run 9 hours (.25% load) on 1 gallon, which is pretty amazing.  With that, the dual fuel propane I originally considered just isn’t necessary. 

Another question for all you pros out there....   the Champion 2000 has a recoil start.  After three shoulder surgeries I am unable to pull start our lawn mower so I’m wondering how much strength is needed to pull start the Champion?  Ive seen a push button start feature on some generators, and may need to go that direction, but I think the push start is only on the larger generators and I really need to keep the weight down to 50 pounds or so.  

And about generators in Big Bend, the campsite we have reserved allows generator use 8AM - 8PM. I understand generators are not allowed at all at the primitive sites, so anyone heading to Big Bend just make sure to check generator policy for your specific campground. Big smile
R-Pod 179, Gone With the Wind.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 5:24pm
Try a swamp cooler

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 3:54pm
We stayed in a park that was all grass and heavily canopied with trees. It was high 90's to low 100's with afternoon breezes. Hot for sure but doable.

WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I wonder what people do in those parks in the Big Bend area when it's 100 degrees outside. Unless they have hookups to run air conditioning, not being able to run a generator is a serious health hazard.

There are still some options.  Shade cloth isn't very expensive and dramatically helps with the heat; I've seen people completely cover their rig with it, leaving some air gap at the top.

Small humidifiers do exactly the same job that evaporative coolers do and use far less power than an AC.  The air blowing off of them feels very cool in a dry climate.

You can also still make ice with your Pod's refrigerator running on propane.  This ice can go in your drinks (very good way to stay cool) or can be used to chill water that you can then rub on your skin with a towel.  Blowing a fan over a bowl of ice can be done but is a very poor way of cooling yourself off; the above methods are far better.

Don't forget about a good, old-fashioned fan.

And to be honest, if I knew I would be camping regularly in very hot places, I'd invest in a Honda EU3000iS that is extremely quiet.  The worst they can do is ask you to turn it off.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:26am
I wonder what people do in those parks in the Big Bend area when it's 100 degrees outside. Unless they have hookups to run air conditioning, not being able to run a generator is a serious health hazard.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by crazycoyote

To me, Honda is not always the answer to generators. I bought the Predator 3500 inverter Generator at Harbor Freight last month  for $649.00, they are now at $699.I have also a Honda 2000i which will NOT run my A/C in my Pod, but for another $1000 I could of bought another Honda to run it. 2 generators  to carry around, to heavy for me. My Predator runs everything in my Pod. I don't even have to start it with a cord. Push button start. I put the both generators side by side and run them- MY HONDA is louder, I couldn't believe it, but that is a fact. Those Predator Generators 3500 are quite I would check them out before spending another $1000 to power up your a/c in your pod.My Predator 3500 is 98 pounds and has wheels for rolling. It now goes in back of the truck when I'm pulling the Pod

Thanks for the review!  The only inverter generator I've ever heard of being quieter than the Honda EU2000i was the EU3000i.  It's amazing for a Harbor Freight generator to be even quieter.  The reviews on HF's website are extremely solid as well.  I'm honestly shocked.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:41am
To me, Honda is not always the answer to generators. I bought the Predator 3500 inverter Generator at Harbor Freight last month  for $649.00, they are now at $699.I have also a Honda 2000i which will NOT run my A/C in my Pod, but for another $1000 I could of bought another Honda to run it. 2 generators  to carry around, to heavy for me. My Predator runs everything in my Pod. I don't even have to start it with a cord. Push button start. I put the both generators side by side and run them- MY HONDA is louder, I couldn't believe it, but that is a fact. Those Predator Generators 3500 are quite I would check them out before spending another $1000 to power up your a/c in your pod.My Predator 3500 is 98 pounds and has wheels for rolling. It now goes in back of the truck when I'm pulling the Pod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

We have a Yamaha 2400iSCH, which is big enough to run the air conditioner, or the microwave, but not at the same time.  It's gas operated.  The reason I chose it is because of it's decibel level.  I don't remember what that is, but it's one of the lowest you can find.

I have the same generator and have really enjoyed it.  The only generator I'm aware of that's quieter than it and will run the AC is the Honda EU3000iS.  As far as I know, that Honda model is still the quietest portable generator on the market of literally any size.  Some here have specifically elected to go with it due to that reason.  The catches are its 131 lb. weight and $2,000 price tag.  It's only real advantage over dual 2 kW generators is its very low noise level, especially at low loads.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:56pm
WE are heading for Big Bend National Park on the 19th of Dec. coming from Arizona for a week or two. Maybe I'll see a few Pods  in the Park. There is a bird count on Christmas Day, and we are birders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>