R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar panel recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panel recommendations
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:15am
Hi all
I know that this must be a previously discussed question, but I never seem to have any luck with the forum's search feature in finding previous articles. 

Anyway, I have a 2017 178 and would like to buy a suitcase solar panel for dry camping. I want to stay at a modest budget of $300 or less (hopefully $250 or less). I really know nothing about this subject so any advice would be appreciated. When dry camping I do not plan on using much electricity, but would simply like to be out a week or two while using minimal lights, radio etc., without the batteries going under the recommended charge levels. My R-Pod has 2 6V golf cart batteries. 

When I buy a suitcase solar panel I want to make sure I have 100% of all necessary items to hook it up and utilize it. I know that my R-Pod is prewired for solar, but that is about the extent of my knowledge :)

I would of course like to buy the best unit available for my budget.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and information.

Sincerely,

John 
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 3:04pm
Honestly, if you aren't going to be running the furnace much or connecting an inverter to your Pod, you probably don't need to spend the money on a solar panel.  Your LED lights draw almost nothing, and your water pump can run a long time on your battery, a lot more than your fresh water tank capacity.  If your battery does drop to 50% (about 12.2 volts, easily measured), you can recharge it from your running vehicle with a pair of jumper cables.  Just connect positive to positive and negative to negative and run your vehicle for about an hour.  We have another active thread as well where I discuss how you can do this with a charge controller; it's healthier for your Pod's batteries, but if you aren't using jumper cables regularly, it will be just fine for the occasional charge.

If you're still really wanting a solar option, I recommend this thread
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:57am
https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-160-watt-foldable-12-volt-solar-panel-2/
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:52am
They make Zamp solar panels right over the mountain from you in Bend.  I understand they have sales from time to time.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:55am

Jet,
This 100 amp system (edit. 100watt)from Renogy is a deal and a good place to start if your elec usage is low and there is sun. Mine recharges my batteries fully every day in the summer, not so much in the winter.
 If you really plan for a week or two off grid You may need more like 200 watt system and /or a small inverter/generator that can be used to charge the batteries. or like Will said, use your tow vehicle to charge.
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:40am
Thanks everyone for the input. Will...could you direct me to the thread you are referring to about using the charge controller, which is something I am totally unfamiliar with.

John
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by john in idaho

They make Zamp solar panels right over the mountain from you in Bend.  I understand they have sales from time to time.

Friends don't let friends buy zamp...
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by voisj

Jet,
This 100 amp system from Renogy is a deal and a good place to start if your elec usage is low and there is sun. Mine recharges my batteries fully every day in the summer, not so much in the winter.
 If you really plan for a week or two off grid You may need more like 200 watt system and /or a small inverter/generator that can be used to charge the batteries. or like Will said, use your tow vehicle to charge.
rgds John

Little oops there, '100w' system..Nice though. PWM controller that's 30a. Room to add another panel (or 2) with changing the PWM controller.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by JET

Thanks everyone for the input. Will...could you direct me to the thread you are referring to about using the charge controller, which is something I am totally unfamiliar with.

John

Scroll back up to his response, where it says "this thread' it's a link.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by JET

John

This is the link to that thread, which is still 'active'.  The other link I posted earlier is to a thread on how to connect a 100 watt solar panel to your Pod's battery, particularly if you have a Zamp port.

Basically, all you do is run a set of inexpensive battery clamps from your tow vehicle to a charge controller (between 10 and 30 amps) and then run another line to the Pod's battery from the charge controller either with another set of battery clamps or by plugging into your Pod's Zamp port if it has one.  The gauge wire needed depends on both the amperage of the charge controller and the length of the wire, but if each length is no more than 10 ft., 16 or 18 gauge wire is fine (my 10 amp charge controller came with sufficient lengths of 18 gauge wire).  Then you just start the car and let the charge controller gently and safely charge up your Pod's battery.

A simpler approach is to use jumper cables, but this is not as healthy for deep cycle batteries, which are designed to be charged in a slow, controller manner, which jumper cables absolutely cannot do.  But in a pinch, they will work as well.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>