R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPVC water pipes to toilet came apart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: PVC water pipes to toilet came apart
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:37pm
Turned on water pump today and pipe than runs up to the back of the toilet came out of the toilet. It is a female end that slides up into a male end. It looks like there isn't anything holding the pipe in except maybe glue. Anyone else have this happen? It appears the solution to reinserting/reattaching the two pipes is some sort of pvc adhesive. I guess I will visit Home Depot tomorrow to see about a solution. Any advice?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:50pm
This is a first to me, have not heard of this happening before either on this forum or on the FB side.  That being said, if the two ends are "clean" (no cement chunks hanging on the pipe ends) you can get the following 2  products:  1) pvc pipe primer- this is purple in color and prepares/softens the pipe for the second step, 2) pvc cement.  Both can come in small containers, I believe as small as 4 oz size.  When doing this make sure you have good air circulation, open the door and run the fantastic fan.  The fumes from both the primer and cement or quite odorous.  Prime both ends to be glued, allow to dry for a minute (you don't want any wet primer in the socket end that you are gluing).  Next put a thin layer of glue to both ends, as you join them together turn one of the pipes 1/4 turn for best adhesion, if possible.  Allow to dry for 24 hours before testing, you will be good to go.  Having been in the golf course business for many years, I have had my share of irrigation breaks, from 1.5" to 6" irrigation lines, fortunately nothing larger has ever broken as we have a few areas that have 12" mains.  And fortunately I have never had to re-do a poorly glued joint over again using the above steps.  And yes, make sure both pipe ends are clean (from dirt, grease, old glue) before priming.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:05pm
Many owners have tried to repair that break after it froze and broke. It has never gone well with the repair, a few have gotten it to hold for a couple months, only to have it blow at 3 am later..

It's 2 screws and 5 minutes to replace the valve. Go new, from Amazon.. be done with it.
edsana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the detailed instructional advice.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:45am
This sheds a whole new light on the topic IF what furpod suggests is what happened.  IF indeed it broke due to freezing, DO NOT try to repair, replace the valve.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
edsana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:26pm
I tried the pvc repair but it didn't work. So I guess I'll try Furpods advice to replace the valve. I don't see how the valve is connected (the two screws) on the back of the toilet or even how the toilet is connected to the floor. There is very little space between the back of the toilet and the wall. I was thinking maybe the pipe could be plugged until I can get home from this three week trip. Thoughts?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:13pm
The toilet has two bolts, on each side down at the base, under "covers". If you are going to pull the toilet, which many do for the repair, make sure the new valve you order is the one that comes with a new base seal. They are rubber, and not wax, usually reusable.. but you know that Murphy guy..

As far as a "plug" I would get a 1/2 "gatorbite" or "sharkbite" cut off valve. Lowe's or Home Depot. That should get you water back on the quickest.

Amazon Link For Toilet Valve

You Tube Link to a Walk Through
edsana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:21pm
Thanks for the info
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:51pm
Be ready to temporarily cover the hole to the black tank once you open it or be prepared for a nauseating experience.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
 Post Reply Post Reply