R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rawest50 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter.
    Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:51am
I stand corrected on the inverter. It is a converter. Thanks.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:34am
It might help if you'd tell us what you're really trying to do.  There may be alternative solutions.  Most phones and laptops can charge from 12v DC, or a little 200w inverter is plenty for them.  It will also power the television.  Coffee makers and hair dryers are generally beyond the limits of battery powered inverters.

VOISJ is right -- the pod doesn't have an inverter.  It's converter takes 120v AC shore power and converts it to 12v DC to run 12v things in the pod and to charge the battery.  And of course, if you have shore power you have all the AC and DC power you should need.

I suspect you meant watts when you asked about increasing the volts.  More watts would be nice, but, no they can't be increased.  As for volts, the only things you want are nominal 120v AC or nominal 12v DC.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 12:44am
The pods does not have an inverter, unless the new ones come with one?, it has a converter that converts 110v to 12v.
What are you trying to power?

I had a 1500/2000w hooked directly to the battery in my diesel truck (with two optima batteries) for running a saw and small tools in the field. Worked pretty well for half hour or so and then had to run the truck to keep it going. as long as the motor was running it was good.

I installed the 1500w inverter in the pod for a hair dryer, Watched the volt meter drop from 12.4 to 12.0 v in 4 minutes. running my truck helped some, but then I took the big inverter out, (we're camping, wear a hat!) 

I now run the 1500w in my new truck (F150 1 battery) that I use for  laptop charging but only when it's running.

I now use a generator when I need real power for charging the pod or A/C, (or the hair dryer).
like Tars says it's not real good for batteries, unless the inverter is small and you use it sparingly or have 2-6v golf cart batteries, they can take the punishment. But you still have to keep them charged.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 11:50pm
400 watts is probably about the most you can sustainably get out of an inverter on your TV, and that only while it's running.  People hook up bigger inverters, and they may work for a while, but they'll suck a battery down quickly, especially if the engine/alternator isn't running.

I have a 12,000 lb winch on my truck and it sucks the juice.  It can use up to about 4000 watts.  To do that for more than about 10 or 20 seconds the engine has to be on.  To do it for 30 to 60 seconds you have to have your foot on the gas.  (My old Bronco had a manual throttle you could pull out and set!)  With all that, after a couple of minutes of winching something substantial you can watch the battery level going down.  Like most stock vehicles, I only have a 100 amp alternator.  You can buy 130 amp or even 200 amp alternators, but at that point, for camping purposes, you're probably better off with a generator.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:56pm
Do any of you use a power inverter off your tow vehicle? Looking for more power without a generator. All advice about using an inverter. I know the pod has one. Can it be increased to higher voltage?
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123