R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter.
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:56pm
Do any of you use a power inverter off your tow vehicle? Looking for more power without a generator. All advice about using an inverter. I know the pod has one. Can it be increased to higher voltage?
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 11:50pm
400 watts is probably about the most you can sustainably get out of an inverter on your TV, and that only while it's running.  People hook up bigger inverters, and they may work for a while, but they'll suck a battery down quickly, especially if the engine/alternator isn't running.

I have a 12,000 lb winch on my truck and it sucks the juice.  It can use up to about 4000 watts.  To do that for more than about 10 or 20 seconds the engine has to be on.  To do it for 30 to 60 seconds you have to have your foot on the gas.  (My old Bronco had a manual throttle you could pull out and set!)  With all that, after a couple of minutes of winching something substantial you can watch the battery level going down.  Like most stock vehicles, I only have a 100 amp alternator.  You can buy 130 amp or even 200 amp alternators, but at that point, for camping purposes, you're probably better off with a generator.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 12:44am
The pods does not have an inverter, unless the new ones come with one?, it has a converter that converts 110v to 12v.
What are you trying to power?

I had a 1500/2000w hooked directly to the battery in my diesel truck (with two optima batteries) for running a saw and small tools in the field. Worked pretty well for half hour or so and then had to run the truck to keep it going. as long as the motor was running it was good.

I installed the 1500w inverter in the pod for a hair dryer, Watched the volt meter drop from 12.4 to 12.0 v in 4 minutes. running my truck helped some, but then I took the big inverter out, (we're camping, wear a hat!) 

I now run the 1500w in my new truck (F150 1 battery) that I use for  laptop charging but only when it's running.

I now use a generator when I need real power for charging the pod or A/C, (or the hair dryer).
like Tars says it's not real good for batteries, unless the inverter is small and you use it sparingly or have 2-6v golf cart batteries, they can take the punishment. But you still have to keep them charged.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:34am
It might help if you'd tell us what you're really trying to do.  There may be alternative solutions.  Most phones and laptops can charge from 12v DC, or a little 200w inverter is plenty for them.  It will also power the television.  Coffee makers and hair dryers are generally beyond the limits of battery powered inverters.

VOISJ is right -- the pod doesn't have an inverter.  It's converter takes 120v AC shore power and converts it to 12v DC to run 12v things in the pod and to charge the battery.  And of course, if you have shore power you have all the AC and DC power you should need.

I suspect you meant watts when you asked about increasing the volts.  More watts would be nice, but, no they can't be increased.  As for volts, the only things you want are nominal 120v AC or nominal 12v DC.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:51am
I stand corrected on the inverter. It is a converter. Thanks.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:41am
Little confused too. I know Rawest50 has a Colorado, so do I and I use the TV 12V charge circuit thru the TT plug to charge the TT battery. It works well. It can't take the place of a generator or shore power. Not possible. I also have a 400W onboard inverter in TT, I can use for small accessories. Tars is spot on the functions of TT converter. Not a lot one can do to take place of shore power.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:54pm
I keep a 400 W in my Jeep. Used it on trips when the kids were small for games and TV. I was looking at getting another for the Colorado if I happen to need it. No real reason.

I do have another question. I saw converters 2,000-3,000 Watts. What and where would you use that large of a converter.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:39am
Originally posted by rawest50

I keep a 400 W in my Jeep. Used it on trips when the kids were small for games and TV. I was looking at getting another for the Colorado if I happen to need it. No real reason.

I do have another question. I saw converters 2,000-3,000 Watts. What and where would you use that large of a converter.

I assume you mean 2,000 to 3,000 watt inverters.  Best I can tell the names are arbitrary, but they are well established.  Converters covert AC to DC; usually 120v AC to 12v DC.  Inverters take 12 volt DC and invert it to 120 v AC.  If you are talking about inverters, a 2,000 watt inverter, if sourced with enough power, will run anything you can plug into a 15 amp circuit at home; almost a 20 amp circuit.  A washing machine, a small air conditioner, or more likely an air compressor or a table saw.  Hooked up directly to a running truck battery (going through the cigarette lighter thingy would blow that fuse in less than a second) it will run a big item briefly unless the truck has a beefed up electrical system.  Run time without an engine running an alternator to keep the battery up would be just a few minutes and might destroy the battery.

When people talk about getting generators for their Pods they say a 2000 watt generator might run your air conditioner.  2400 or 3000 watt generators are generally considered the base line for Pods.  Those generator watts are the same as your inverter watts. So you can run your whole pod with a 3000 watt inverter, including the air con if you can power the inverter.  The inverter doesn't make up 3000 watts out of nowhere.  Your vehicle almost certainly cannot produce that much power for any length of time.  If it could, it would be running so fast it would be obnoxiously loud in a campground, and use a lot more gasoline than a 3000 watt generator just because of the overhead of pushing 4 to 8 times the number of pistons as a generator.

To get back more directly to your question, a contractor who knows what he's doing might use a 2000 watt inverter for a table saw or an air compressor, for example.  Both of those are at least somewhat intermittent in their usage too, which would definitely help with regard to maintaining battery voltage.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:51am
Besides being used for temporary small industrial/contractor needs,
the larger inverters, (3000watt plus) are sometimes used in LARGE RVs. They have a proper battery bank, and alternators, to charge and maintain the battery bank. Some even carry enough solar panels to stay off grid indefinitely, as far as electricity is concerned, AND run their 120v only items as needed. There are a couple YouTube videos out there that cover the installation and usage of such systems.. Gone With the Wynns have one that's pretty good.

Such systems are neither small nor cheap. Think bigger and more expensive then your Pod, just for the solar/batteries/inverter/transfer switch, and then there is installation.. The systems are usually 24v or 48v native, use several +$1200 batteries, etc.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:33am
The batteries and wire needed to support a 3000 watt inverter would be truly massive. Attempting to run something that drew 3000 watts on an inverter would require ~~ 250 amps of current at 12 volts. That is a really large amount of current. Doing a little googling, it would require 4/0 (four ought) wire, which is almost 1/2" in diameter (.460 inches actually if copper). The batteries required to support that would be pretty massive too, unless you're talking about running your 3000 watt load for seconds, and not minutes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>