R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShelves over beds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shelves over beds
    Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:55pm
I notice a lot of RPodders have put shelves over their bed areas and wondering how they're attached. I've lived all my life with earthquake faults (well, other kinds of faults too but anyway...) and would never put anything other than soft goods overhead or next to a bed. I can imagine a lightweight rack with soft goods on it, but only if it's attached so it couldn't bounce off it's mounting in a quake. Are people attaching them or just setting them on the valance? It's not the quakes the scare me, it's the idea of getting hit on the head that I find daunting Embarrassed
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
We have our Lowe's shelf mounted in end-mount curtain rod supports (the shelf is beam-and-slat construction) screwed to wooden façade pieces, which are held onto the wall by industrial strength Velcro.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:16pm
Live to Camp,Sounds like the Bum has done something similar to me.. what I did was buy the shelf at Lowes. It might depend on your model, I have the 171. The shelf was not long enough to reach the walls, so I added wooden extensions on each end. With careful measuring, that left just enough room to fit a couple of small square velcro pieces between the ends and the walls to hold it. It was a little tricky getting it in, but you can do it. It rests on the valances which is enough support, and allows me to slide it to my preferred position. Then I have a basket type container from Target to put loose misc. in.The wicker one with cloth insert. It fits perfectly. The shelf is sturdy, lightweight, attractive, and should be useful to put stuff like clothes,etc, as it's over the bed. I don't even think an earthquake could move it. Might move me and the camper though!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:14pm
Nothing is going to bounce off in a quake in your pod.. if it was going to, it would already be down from towing. Even when parked, your suspension is still under the pod.

Our shelf was attached to the shower wall, and rear ceiling, resting on the valance.

PodBarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:29pm
Glad to see some pics, thanks.

I would like to build a shelf by the mattress, next to the wall plug (outer wall of bath on left side, 171). Has anyone constructed shelves that cover that vertical wall - maybe graduating in width??
2017 RPod 171
2017 Kia Sorento SX
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Live2Camp

I notice a lot of RPodders have put shelves over their bed areas and wondering how they're attached. I've lived all my life with earthquake faults (well, other kinds of faults too but anyway...) and would never put anything other than soft goods overhead or next to a bed. I can imagine a lightweight rack with soft goods on it, but only if it's attached so it couldn't bounce off it's mounting in a quake. Are people attaching them or just setting them on the valance? It's not the quakes the scare me, it's the idea of getting hit on the head that I find daunting Embarrassed

If you look at my mods (link in signature), you will see how I did my self. It was one of the first things I did. In all of our travels, we have not had a big problem with things falling off, even when we had an accident that spun us around on I80. I use the shelf to hold my CPAP machine and some wire mesh bins to hold clothing. They are all held to the shelf with lightweight bungee cords. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PodBarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:49pm
thanks so much for the pics. I love doing "projects" and am currently replacing my awkward bath door with a folding door. I hope it goes well - but as you know it is a lot of hit and miss corrections. Glad to see all mods everyone makes, even if not for my "baby" pod, 171.
2017 RPod 171
2017 Kia Sorento SX
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 5:54pm
Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated! In a sizeable quake in the late 1980s my cargo van "hopped" over 12 inches sideways, and that made me think about it with regard to our Pod. I see your points though, and glad I brought it up. 
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 8:35am
When we took out the upper bunk in our 172, we left the part next to the head in place and turned it into a shelf.  We use cargo netting to keep things falling out.  We've been on many bumpy roads to Sierra Nevada US Forrest Service campgrounds and never had a problem with anything falling out.  Those roads would certainly simulate a magnitude 7 earthquake.  

The thing I've found with over bed shelving is that you want to be aware that you can bump your head or other body parts on the shelving if there isn't sufficient clearance.  With the bunk, it took several bruises on my knees before I finally stopped banging them on the edge of the shelf that came into collision range when I raised the up about 7 inches.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by lostagain

When we took out the upper bunk in our 172, we left the part next to the head in place and turned it into a shelf.  We use cargo netting to keep things falling out.  We've been on many bumpy roads to Sierra Nevada US Forrest Service campgrounds and never had a problem with anything falling out.  Those roads would certainly simulate a magnitude 7 earthquake.  

Good point! Just the road to our own home is bumpy enough! We don't have a need for extra storage at this point but glad to know how to proceed in case it comes up in the future. Good points too about not bumping into over-the-bed shelving. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>