R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutside paint finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside paint finish
    Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:14pm
My 2016 has been sitting for over a year and the sun only hits one side of it. The side where the sun doesn't hit is like new, shiney. The other side shows some fading especially on the light green color. I have used rubbing compound and wax but it still doesn't give an even shine. I was a painter, so I'm suspecting that originally a clear coat was used on the paint. I am wondering if I should spray clear coat on that area. It would mean I would have to remove the synthetic wax and maybe go over that with a super fine sandpaper. Anybody know how to remove the wax? And what to use? I'm thinking alcohol but don't know. I'm thinking just let it go for now and do it in warmer weather. Any thoughts?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:09pm
I never used anything harsher then a good cleaner wax, and a wool bonnet on a cheap Auto Zone buffer. Pod was shiny when we sold it at 6 years old,  for washing, I used the Meguires Wash and Wax Ultimate. Yellow stuff in a jug..
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:39pm
You did the right thing.  You just left off a step.  Rubbing compound is great to use if there is oxidation present.  Oxidation is when the blue or green has a whitish tint to it.  BUT do not wax it after as it will not give a shine.  You need to polish it.  Any marine gelcoat polish will do.  Then you need to wax it to protect the shine from the elements.  I would not touch it and risk damage to the surface.  I would just wait a couple months.  Then I would use a strong washing detergent and wash it down (even the claimed permanent wax only lasts six months).  Then I would skip the compounding step assuming the oxidation is not there and would go straight to polish.  An electric buffer would be better than by hand.  You should have a like new shine back.  Then you can wax it.  We did this before closing it up for the winter (we bought a cover) and it looks brand new. Hopefully it will look as good when we take the cover off in the spring
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:27pm
I thought that the pods weren't painted so much as the color was embedded as a gel coat into the fiberglass. And I would use Polishing Compound instead of rubbing compound
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:10pm
Yes the dealer told me it was a gelcoat when I asked how to keep it shining.  For that reason, rubbing compound is fine to remove oxidation.  But agree would not use it if there was no evidence of oxidaton and would just wash it, polish it and wax it.  Better to follow instructions for how to shine a boat rather than how to shine a car.  Lots of YouTube videos on how to do it.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 5:59pm
Maybe try some Zymol.  It is different than a plain wax but without  rubbing compound.  It really restores oxidized paint, but it doesn't come off on the rag.  I think it restores some of the oil.
 Post Reply Post Reply