Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmany troublesome reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: many troublesome reviews
    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:52am
We are strongly considering a new 179 but are discouraged by all the negative reviews we've found on line regarding the shoddy quality of construction.  Thought?  
Joanne and Tom
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:08am
The only complaint for our 2017 172 was that I had to clean sawdust from the storage areas and beneath the sink's cabinet.  The construction is typical for the industry and I base that on our Heartland 28' travel trailer and or previous Wolf PUP 14'.  I've had no trouble with the pod and have been all through it making modifications.

I would suggest then when looking at one, look at all the compartments, under the bed, under the cabinet(s), under the dinette seats etc.  There'll probably be sawdust but then that's what vacuum cleaners are for.  Look underneath, make sure the wires are tucked up in there, the plumbing is tight etc.  These would be the same I would do with any new travel trailer.  If it needs attention let the dealer take care of it.  If you want to learn more about your pod its all easy to clean and tidy up.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:44am
If you want something with impeccable construction, go for a high-end RV such as one from Airstream or Bigfoot. Of course, you would be paying almost as much as you would for a small house in doing so. If youi want something light that can be towed easily, even by a mid-sized pickup or an SUV that does not cost a small fortune, you will need to be willing to accept that there may be some trade-offs involved. Larry-D's advice is good. I second the advice to make sure all plumbing is tight. On ours, the kitchen sink drain was not tight enough and it leaked on our first trip, damaging two cookbooks we had in the drawer under the sink. The rest of the items that got wet could be washed and dried and they were okay. Make sure all trim pieces are attached well and no staples are sticking out where they shouldn't be (like in the storage compartment under the bed.

On the newer R-Pods, Forest River has addressed some of the quality issues. For example, I understand that the suspension for the sewer and gray water drain lines has been reworked to be stronger. The one area that I would especially check though is the tank supports. Industry standard is to use screws. They only work well if they are fully tight and there is no gap between the support ends and the frames. I ended up installing stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts. I put one in each attachment point to make sure mine would not fail. Mine did have a gap.

We purchased ours in December 2015. I've made a number of modifications since. At the price point of our R-Pod, I  feel comfortable about making such modifications. They have been useful in our travels which have included two cross-country trips and trips from NC to VT and NY. The R-Pod tows well and because it is compact, can fit in places a bigger trailer wouldn't.

You will read a lot of negatives. People post about those. Good experiences aren't written up as much. Don't let the negative reviews prevent you from checking it out for yourself.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:53am
I have not found my 178 to be any better or worse than other RVs I have owned. All the RVs (trailers and motor homes) that I have owned required maintenance and repair. I bought a used 178 and did so because I was confident that the initial warranty work it required had been done and that anything else that occurred I could handle. To date that has been the truth. If you are not confident in your own repair/maintenance capability, perhaps a warranty is required. Also remember warranties don't last forever. Also the price of a RPod is practical and relatively inexpensive way to camp, if you paid 15-20K more, you may get better workmanship or quality, maybe not. I have been pleased with my purchase. If you do decide to go used, do a good inspection, make sure everything works and look for damage or delamination (water leaks).
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:11am
I've heard about the sawdust/debris stories, but ours has been clean through and through. This is either a manifestation of which factory the R-pod came out of, or perhaps a reflection on the dealer. Ours has had a couple of very minor cosmetic things that were easily fixed with interior trim. NBD. We still love it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:14am
A lot of people seek out a place to ask for help, or vent. That happens here, and on the FB group.
The truth is, Pods are no more prone to issues as any other like sized/cost trailer.
If you go spend a day at the Mercedes dealer, (I suggest by the service door), you will soon be convinced that Mercs are trash and every owner hates theirs. The R-Pod has been in steady production for almost 10 years now, thousands of them out there. Whole RV companies, and other brands, have come and gone in that time.. 
tjunk2021 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:47am
We have just completed our first full year with our 2017 179. We took it to Mt. Rushmore and Lake City, CO and several closer in weekend trips here in Oklahoma. We've had a couple of minor issues with it that required a return trip to the dealer (a piece of trim around the slide came loose and the heater cover came loose on the highway) but they were both remedied. We love it and could not be more pleased with our choice. We are ready for the weather to warm up enough so we can hit the road again!
Tom and Kelly
2017 R-Pod 179
2016 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6

Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:48am
I am all for reviews and do not even purchase a $10 item without researching it and reading reviews.  However RV's are the exception.  To keep costs ridiculously low (a fully furnished apartment on wheels for less than $20K!.  They manufacture millions of them a day (OK maybe not a million).  Therefore you will find loose connections, missing screws, and even bad components.  But this is true of all brands.  FR is no worse than the others.  You will find better quality in a Lance but they are at least $10,000 higher.  Even if it was better built driving them down the road with all those bumps will shake up and break something on any RV.  I would recommend you stop reading reviews and buy whatever RV best appeals to you.  Then I would buy it from the closest dealer.  If you had a choice of a RPOD which is 100 miles away and a copy cat Jayco Hummingbird for $1000 more but the dealer is only 2 miles away I would go with the Jayco.  Unless of course you are very handy and can do most repairs yourself then I would drive 500 miles to get the best deal on an RPOD.  Dealers are not obligated to perform warranty work for a RV they did not sell.  And Forest River cannot make them do it.  So buying close is very important as you will need to get something fixed at some time.  But dealers are the final worker on the assembly line.  They inspect and make repairs before you even get it.  So it is important to research the dealer more than the RV.  Some are excellent, others do not even bother to clean them.  We are currently looking to buy a larger RV and saw even worse reviews.  There is even a facebook page for do not buy Keystone brands.  There is a floor plan that we like but four different companies make them so we will buy it from a dealer who is ten miles away regardless of his price (we will still try to negotiate him down of course) as he has a good reputation
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:10am
The first rule of Internet reviews is, for every 10 reviews on a good-but-not-perfect product, 9 of those will be negative.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:49am
We are on our second rpod. We did not experience any of the problem which I too have read about. If during my tour/inspection if I found serious problems , I would not accept it.
To be totally honest, I would buy a 3 rd one if they put one out with the bed facing the right way.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>