This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Winter camping - any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SkiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter camping - any advice?
    Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:00am
Hi Stephen--yes these are good points.  We did have the heat pads running while we were driving to Taos Friday night and battery voltage never dropped, so I'm assuming the tow vehicle output was enough to keep up with it.  Nothing was frozen when we got there, but may not have had enough time to freeze.  It wasn't until we spent the night that the shower/toilet lines froze.  We tried turning the heater inside up at night, but those lines to shower and toilet that run through the floor were still frozen the next morning.  Sink water and fresh tank never froze and the heat tape worked to keep the exposed supply line flowing.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:19am
You could try putting a gallon of cheap gin in the fresh water tank. Wink

Seriously, though, as time to winterize approaches where we live, I usually set up an electric heater to blow into the vent below the head to put some warm air into that space, along with opening up the galley cabinet door or taking out a drawer to let warm air in.  I also added pipe insulation to the water line from the fresh water tank to the point at which the line enters the floor.  

Probably offgrid's suggestion of a recirculating pump would do the trick since it keeps the water moving enough to drag along some residual heat from the warm areas to heat up the spots where it's hard to heat.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Jcync000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jcync000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 3:55pm
I just purchased an RPOD from an neighbor and have been investigating ways to have a 4-season camper.  There are a few design flaws in the RPOD in what otherwise would have been a very good 4 season camper.  My goal is to be able to take it skiing for 3-4 days in the east coast, where the temps get easily into the low 20s-10s.  That means no shore power mostly and recharging the batteries from a generator.

1) cheap 'garden hose' material is used to bring water from the tank to the pump and thereafter.   This hose needs to be replaced by PEX or a much more reliable pipe material.  If this hose freezes, it will crack horribly, whereas PEX is much more reliable.  I easily substituted to PEX and added pipe insulation to the outside as well as spray foam insulation to the adapter to the tank.  

2) in order to rout the cold and hot water from the 'driver' side of the RPOD to the shower, they actually embedded a plastic channel box in the extruded styrofoam that forms the bottom of the RPOD.   This is a horrible idea; in doing so, they removed what was excellent insulation in the styrofoam and put the cold/hot water pipes right in contact with the bottom layer of fiberglass.  This is why everyone reports the bathroom/toilet not working in the winter.  It is fairly easy to disable these floor pipes and instead install pex piping routed through the storage area.  

3) Huge floor openings for the tank connections.  Grab cans of foam insulation and apply tons of it to these poorly insulated openings.  Everywhere they cut the flooring styrofoam, fill it with the foam.   

4) single pane windows.  I am sure that was to save money but the single pane will be a horrible heat loss factor in the deep cold and it will make the furnace run nonstop.   It would add so very little to the design by making them dual pane, hard to believe that savings was that significant.   This can be solved with the reflective silver insulation plaques, but this will make the Rpod dark and cavernous. I don't think there is a way around this one.

5) Have 3 gallons of RV antifreeze in both the gray/black tanks.  This will help greatly in keeping the tanks from freezing.

6) Fresh water tank:  in order for this tank not to freeze, you will need a tank heater attached to a thermostat, many on the market.   For the 36 gallons, you need about a 50-60W pad heater, which means it will draw about 4-5 amps from your battery.   I have dual 100 A-h batteries in the RPOD.  I need to run some tests but this should mean that the batteries should be able to go a whole day or perhaps two without needing to be recharged.   Probably best to assume that the RV batteries will be recharged daily for 2 hr with the generator.  My solar kit can get about 5A in the winter sun, but once it is cloudy -very often in the eastern mountains- it drops to below 1A, so very unreliable way to recharge in the ski mountain.

If the RPOD had maybe $500 extra cost for some modifications, it would have been a much better winter RV, it really is too bad they didn't design it a little better.

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 4:48pm
Another issue to contend with is where to camp.  Even where we are in northern Michigan if we go to the U.P. after mid October it becomes difficult at best to find places to camp.  Most everything closes by then.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 12:34am
Double pane insulated glass windows are notorious for having their seals fail and fog up when used in an RV application. The vibration kills 'em.

I would suggest recirculating some hot water through the system rather than try to run a tank heater electrically. That way you are warming the water in all the lines as well as in the fwt and you're using propane which you carry much more of and which is much more efficient than using electricity. The concept is similar to the instant hot water systems you can intstall in a home. There are multiple posts on how to do this if you do a search on the forum, going back 2-3 years.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Jcync000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jcync000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:52pm
what you describe is commonly reported.  it comes from the fact that the RPOD designers chose to route the hot/cold PEX lines from left side (where the water comes in) to the right side (where the shower/toilet are) via a plastic channel that routed out of the styrofoam extrusion, thus placing the 1/2 inch PEX lines on the 1/4inch fiberglass bottom.  that is why they freeze!
That was a horrible and unnecessary design decision.   The fix is simple:  disable the lines that are going through the floor and instead substitute them with new PEX lines that are routed in the inside of the trailer.  In my, it was simple to add the under my bed, tacked on the side.   
You will find that your lines will no longer freeze if you do that.
The other unnecessary weakness is the cheap garden hose that is used for the fresh water line outside.  If that line freezes, it will crack in multiple places.  go ahead and replace it with PEX (which is much more rugged if frozen) inside a pipe insulation sleeve.  Apply insulating spray foam to the adapters and connectors.

The RPOD could have been easily a better winter trailer with maybe $300-500 simple upgrades (dual pane windows would be the big ticket).  Hard to believe anyone would not pay for that option!
AFCamper90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AFCamper90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:41pm
Jcync000,

What about the supply lines to the kitchen? I can't figure out where they are running from. I can back-trace them as far as the aft ottoman, but there they dip into the floor (angling to the centerline of the camper) and I lose them. I'm concerned that they are sourced from a tee off of the line that goes through the floor to supply the bathroom and that by bypassing that line I'll cut off the supply to the kitchen. 

Does that makes sense? I can easily see where a hot and a cold line drop into the floor next to the heater and pop back out forward of the bathroom, and it sounds like that's the run that you bypassed. Did you do anything about the kitchen lines as well or were they fine as-installed? I can't find separate lines coming from the mechanical area so I know they have to be tapped somewhere down the line and I'm scared to chop anything until I know.

Thanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:12am
AFcamper90, can you let us know what model you have?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
AFCamper90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AFCamper90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:32am
Good point. Ive got a 2016 179.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:45am
Double-pane windows won't do any good, since you must keep the vent open a crack and a window open a crack to ensure you don't get moisture buildup.  The pods are so well-sealed, if you don't do this you will wake up to heavy moisture (likely frozen) on the walls and ceiling.  The only time you don't need to do this is when you have the A/C running in the summer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>