Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDealerships, warranties, and work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dealerships, warranties, and work
    Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:03am
I really wish forest river would force dealerships to do a better job. I personally have a good relationship with mine. But it's only thru luck that they happen to be a good dealer. I think it's terrible that every dealer doesn't cover customers that bought elsewhere. It only ends up making people hate the manufacturer, not the dealer. It would be nice to be able to know that no matter where you buy, you have a reliable dealer nearby, even if you bought elsewhere. I know it's not only forest river dealers that do this, but that's who we care about here. We should ask them to fix this this issue for people who are trapped with crappy dealer service. I think when people come here to ask about r-pods, we should tell them to FIRST check out how good the dealer is, and we should be able to share our dealer reviews with them. Just my opinion
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:15pm
The problem is, the industry doesn't work like that. No manufacturer has a say over how a dealership works. It isn't like cars and trucks.

I do agree that informing prospective owners about good/bad dealer issues is a good idea, and we have often done just that in this forum.. but often owners don't come here before hand...

Long ago I figured out..

"it's better to have great dealer, then a great Pod.. One can be fixed"
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:36pm
+1, this forum supplies a forum to add dealer comments, good or bad. The interweb has numerous sites that provide comments on dealer performance, Dealrater, Ripoffreport.com, etc. Agree not all retailers work like the auto industry, but end of the day almost no one runs a commercial site without a feedback option. Even if you are using the BBB, it's there if you want to find it. I think a lot of folks are to nice when poor service is provided, when that is the time for some action. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and I think sometimes you will get what you accept.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by mcarter

+1, this forum supplies a forum to add dealer comments, good or bad. The interweb has numerous sites that provide comments on dealer performance, Dealrater, Ripoffreport.com, etc. Agree not all retailers work like the auto industry, but end of the day almost no one runs a commercial site without a feedback option. Even if you are using the BBB, it's there if you want to find it. I think a lot of folks are to nice when poor service is provided, when that is the time for some action. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and I think sometimes you will get what you accept.

I think that is largely true.  I have also seen people who go to a retailer with their hair on fire and the retailer "works to rule" because the customer was rude or unreasonable.  Sometimes dealers are just bad news and should be avoided at all costs.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm
Agree the system is poor and I wish it was like buying a car.  But I have posted a number of times that if you are handy buy anywhere for the best price but if you only have two thumbs buy from the closest dealer regardless of price and even brand.  I could have bought a Jayco Hummingbird 15 miles away instead of a RPOD 100 miles away.  Fortunately we found a local RV rental place that does FR warranty work and is happy for the extra money as he does not sell RV's.  I am fairly handy but not enough to replace the water heater which we needed.  And since the dealer is really the final step in the assembly line you need a good dealer to inspect, fix and clean the RV before delivery. Some dealers just ship them out and wait for people to bring back the ones that really need to be fixed.  One mechanic at our dealer told us the prep work for RPODS and Surveyors is the most of the FR brands they sell.  They all need work before being released.  But the Coachmens come from the manufacturer with the fewest issues.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:50pm
We were fortunate that the dealer we purchased from (Hilltop RV in Escanaba), even though he was 4 hours away, did a bang up job in prepping our 177 as well as spending a few hours with us on our walk-thru.  We could have gotten our 177 by driving less than an hour (Cadillac) but the dealer wouldn't work with us on price or ever answer our calls, probably because we weren't interested in a big expensive fifth-wheel or similar priced item.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by jato

We were fortunate that the dealer we purchased from (Hilltop RV in Escanaba), even though he was 4 hours away, did a bang up job in prepping our 177 as well as spending a few hours with us on our walk-thru.  We could have gotten our 177 by driving less than an hour (Cadillac) but the dealer wouldn't work with us on price or ever answer our calls, probably because we weren't interested in a big expensive fifth-wheel or similar priced item.

We had some if that when we were shopping too.  As a result when we are ready for a diesel pusher motor home I know where I will go. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
jerome View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:41am
Has anyone bought an RPod from Bretz RV in Missoula, Montana?

If so, can you recommend them or share experience?

Thanks, Jerome 
 Post Reply Post Reply