Topic Closed1st Tornado Activity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Tornado Activity
    Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 3:23pm
Hope all are well after first tornado activity of season in mid-south. Always scary to me when warning sirens and "Big Voice" go off after dark. Pretty much have lived in tornado areas all my life, but somehow appreciate daylight in most cases, at least I think I can see it coming. I've had one close call in Pod, in a campground in AL a year ago, funnel passed within a mile of campground. The Pod bounced a bit, I stayed on board, while many retreated to shelter, as I look back not sure that was wise decision. Water under bridge now. I am very conscious of weather when camping, it's amazing what it can do.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 4:18pm

+1 on the hoping well.

I had an EF1 tornado rip thru my sub-division 2 summers ago. At the time, I was camp hosting at one of our State Parks, for the entire month. I would come home one day per week to do laundry and mow the grass. Well, I happened to pick the right day!

While going about my chores, I heard on the television weather some remarks about activity in my area. I got my Ham radio walkie-talkie, went to the garage and opened the overhead door to observe what was going on. In less than a minute, I saw it appear over the tree line, about 200 yards away!

Well, there was no time to do anything but grab Dixie and dash to the interior bathroom (I have no basement). When the roaring stopped, I went outside to assess the situation. The 2nd house away from me, and continuing West, had damage and the road was impassible with tree limbs and debris. Somebody up there must like me as, I had no appreciable damage.

Yep, things can happen in a hurry. Thanks for reminding us all.

Post Reply Post Reply