R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA poll on WDH w/sway control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A poll on WDH w/sway control
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:59am

I’m taking a poll on WDH w/sway control. I didn’t want to reopen the debate on whether you use a WDH but for the people that do use these, I have a few questions;

1) Which one do you like best? 

2) I know my Rpod has a tongue weight of roughly 300 LBS but I’m assuming that will increase as I load the camper and my total weight is just under 4000 LBS. Is it okay to use a WDH rated for 600/6000?

3) How difficult is it to connect/disconnect the WDH from the RV?

I need to purchase one soon and I’d like to get your opinions.  Thanks for your help.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ZuBrew

1) Which one do you like best?
I don't know that I have a "favorite". We ended up with the Fastway E2 simply because it was offered by the dealer that sold us our RP-179. It is sized appropriately for the truck/trailer combination.

2) I know my Rpod has a tongue weight of roughly 300 LBS but I’m assuming that will increase as I load the camper and my total weight is just under 4000 LBS. Is it okay to use a WDH rated for 600/6000?
That's about right. If your Rpod is loaded to ~~ 4000 lbs, you can bet that your tongue weight is likely close to 400 lbs. Our E2 is the "600" model, and it was explained that you need one that is big enough, but not too big. Too big and things get too stiff. Too small, and it won't transfer weight properly.

3) How difficult is it to connect/disconnect the WDH from the RV?
It's actually fairly easy. It only takes me a few minutes. It helps if you have a nice level spot when you hitch up. When the Rpod is on the pad in front of our garage, it's not level. So I just hook up the trailer w/o the WDH, and pull it about a 100' down our driveway where we have a nice level spot. I hook it up there, and it's pretty quick; maybe about 5-8 minutes.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:36pm
We use the Fastway E2 and have been very happy with it. I can't compare it to other WDH's because I haven't used them.  The E2 is easy to install into the receiver, the torsion bars are easy to put on [use the tongue jack to install, not the cheater bar for both installation and removal]. 

I had my trailer all hooked up for a trip but had to cancel it due to the west coast finally getting some winter weather. I unhooked everything but the hitch from the receiver on the truck in less than 10 minutes, including putting down the rear and front stabilizers, etc. To set it up again will take about the same amount of time. 

Our WHD has a 6000# capacity. The ride and control is very good. The truck is balanced, rides flat, and has very good steering control and no swaying even in strong winds. I couldn't be more pleased.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 5:08pm

+1 to both of the above comments. The Fastway E2 600/6000 is a crowd favorite among the group, for good reason - it is attractively priced and it works.

May I suggest installing it yourself (should you purchase)? If one is handy with tools, it really isn't that hard. I think I could bolt everything together in about 30 minutes.

What is time consuming and critical is in getting it (or any WD system) set up correctly. I'm not sure how many dealers take the time to do this right. The provided instructions are good and will get you through it. Should you have questions, there are many here who would help.

There are 2 versions - a round bar and a trunion. As best I can tell, there is no difference in performance. The trunion provides a little more ground clearance, if you need it (but costs a little more). I have the round bar.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:51pm
Your WDH rating shouldn’t significantly exceed your tow rating or else you may put too much stress on the frame of the TV. This is especially true if your TV is unibody, such as the Highlander we tow with. BTW, we also use the E2; we originally had an Eaz-Lift with the chains on the bars and a separate sway bar, but it was more difficult to get set just right.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:17am
We use the Equalizer 4point wdh with sway control. It is the 6000/600unit and easy to use. The hitch head is heavy, the bars are easy to install if you jack up the tongue slightly. The noise factor is higher than others, but not terrible. I think you can lessen the creaking/groaning using plastic pads, but I haven’t done that as it seems unnecessary. You can back up without disconnecting anything.
I would buy the same unit again if necessary. I think it gives me the stability and peace of mind that I expected. I have used it for 6years on 2different pods(173,179)
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:57am

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by David

+1 to both of the above comments. The Fastway E2 600/6000 is a crowd favorite among the group, for good reason - it is attractively priced and it works.

May I suggest installing it yourself (should you purchase)? If one is handy with tools, it really isn't that hard. I think I could bolt everything together in about 30 minutes.

What is time consuming and critical is in getting it (or any WD system) set up correctly. I'm not sure how many dealers take the time to do this right. The provided instructions are good and will get you through it. Should you have questions, there are many here who would help.

There are 2 versions - a round bar and a trunion. As best I can tell, there is no difference in performance. The trunion provides a little more ground clearance, if you need it (but costs a little more). I have the round bar.

I also used the Fastway E2 with my Pod and continue to use it today on my Camplite. It works very well and is easy to install and hook up. The 6000/600 model is well matched to the RPODs. You can and should install it yourself but it does require some large wrenches capable of 200+ foot pounds. These can sometimes be rented from auto stores.

That said I echo David's main point:
What is time consuming and critical is in getting it (or any WD system) set up correctly. I'm not sure how many dealers take the time to do this right. With my first camper, being a newbie, I let the dealer install the hitch. Miles down the road I suspected something was amiss. I found the hitch totally and dangerously improperly installed. The brackets were even upside down. My advice is to read the book, reread the book, understand the book, and follow the book. Proper adjustment is essential to safety and comfort. As another frequent contributor to this forum says in his tag line "If you want it done right, do it yourself".

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:44am
One additional thing that will help quiet a hitch. There is always some play between the hitch stinger and the receiver on the TV. That makes for clunking noises as the hitch shifts. Using a hitch tightener such as the StowAway Hitch Tightener or some other variety of hitch tightener will eliminate this source of hitch noise. The "Sway Bracket Jacket" works for Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control hitches to reduce the groaning noises when turning. The Equal-i-zer site specifies that they are for the Equal-i-zer hitch only and not for the E2 hitch, although I have seen elsewhere where they do fit. They can reduce sway control a little bit. I suspect that is why they are not recommended for the E2 because that model relies on the friction between the arms and the brackets for sway control where the Equal-i-zer also uses the friction at  the pivot points for the bars in addition to the bar/bracket friction for sway control.

+1 for Charlie's comments on reading the manual and checking it out. I have had to adjust my hitch. It isn't so much that the dealer did it wrong, but that after some modifications, it was no longer correct. Also, with a change in tow vehicles, I needed to re-do it to suit the current TV. Follow the manual and you will be okay.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 10:34am
A little noise while turning? Not a problem. I like it. I know it's working Approve
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>