R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA poll on WDH w/sway control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A poll on WDH w/sway control
    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by alohapad

Can see that everybody has a favorite, and I'm HOPING I made the right choice for my needs, but I picked the Anderson 3324 Sway WDH.  It's kinda pricey ($499), but it's under 60lbs, and looks to be the bee's knees. My Jeep is rated 350/3500, and the 178 is at about 270 on the hitch, so my math says I snuck in just below. No lift kit, running 33's, so hoping the height is gonna be OK too.

Is that 270 tongue weight an actual measured value for a loaded trailer? Seems very low.. FR specs say an unloaded dry 178 is 295 on the hitch and 2893 total. That's with no battery, water in the water heater, or any of the tanks...If it really is that low then you'll also want your total trailer weight not to exceed 2700 lbs to avoid sway. 

If you are Ok you will be very close, so check all your actual loaded weights against your Jeep specs (trailer, tongue, combined gross vehicle weight, and axle weights). When you run through the scales disconnect or de-tension the weight distribution hitch, it will throw off your weight measurements. 

Here's a nice calculator to load all your data into and see where you are. . 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Blue Ridge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:47am
I use a fastway e2 600/6000 square bar, no complaints so far.
Sailor Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 7:28pm
We use a husky centerline WD hitch and sway bars on our R-Pod 190.  Works great.  600lbs.  We tow with our diesel jeep grand cherokee, which also tows the pod very well.  We just put on 5000 miles going to Seattle and back.  Trip was outstanding.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 1:06pm
We recently got a reminder of why we use a WDH. 

We were evacuated from our home when one of the big fires started in California. We had everything packed, and part of our belongings we wanted to take with us was our RP-179. Seeing that we were getting underway at 3AM, and we have an F-150, which can pull the 179 with no control issues whatever, I decided I would skip the WDH setup.

As we proceeded down the highway, I noticed two things. 

First, the headlights were just a bit too high. Just high enough that the low beams would shine right into the windshield of anyone coming the other way. Not a good thing.

The second thing I noticed was that all the bumps and dips were exaggerated. 

After we got to our first stop (what we affectionately referred to as "Chateau de CVS"), we got a few hours of rest, and before we left, I hooked up the WDH bars. The rest of our escape to safety was uneventful.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 2:31pm
Yes, it is amazing what a difference a well-set-up WDH can make, especially if it also has sway control, whether integrated or add-on.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456