Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPet Peeve - pun intended

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Peeve - pun intended
    Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 8:43am
have not checked in for some time. was good to hear from people with Pods. still same rules for me when it comes to my dogs. I have the same (13 yr.oldnow ) and a new one , 9 months. Young one has been on one camping trip, still not sure if he likes it since it rained much of the time and was in November( not too sure I liked it either!). only 2 camping trips out last year due to other things taking away the time. hope to do better this year or I will be selling my Pod. Husband did ask if we can advertised on this site to sell. I am not sure just where to put it, since I am not greatly in the mood to do so, wanting to give it another try. But if I can be directed to the proper place to put a "for sale" then I will know when the time comes.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 9:30am
Originally posted by mountain mist

have not checked in for some time. was good to hear from people with Pods. still same rules for me when it comes to my dogs. I have the same (13 yr.oldnow ) and a new one , 9 months. Young one has been on one camping trip, still not sure if he likes it since it rained much of the time and was in November( not too sure I liked it either!). only 2 camping trips out last year due to other things taking away the time. hope to do better this year or I will be selling my Pod. Husband did ask if we can advertised on this site to sell. I am not sure just where to put it, since I am not greatly in the mood to do so, wanting to give it another try. But if I can be directed to the proper place to put a "for sale" then I will know when the time comes.

Mountain Mist, there is a "Campers Fleamarket" section that is right underneath the "Camping with Pets" section in the directory here ... that is where everyone has been posting their Pods for sale at.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 6:36pm
thank you P&M
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 12:32pm
Hope not to see you sell, but if you do you are still welcome to hang out here. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GlobeTrotter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 10:02pm
Enjoying the discussion.   We have two Goldens who love to travel.  We have always had them on a leash or short cable when they are outside.  AND we do not leave them outside alone even if restrained.  However, we have had great success with an invisible electric fence at our home and purchased a "rock" invisible fence for camping.   A wire is connected to the energized rock and you string it out in the area you want to restrain your dog.  We have not used it yet.  Has anyone used such a device and if so, how effective is it?  
Podding from Montana and loving it!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 12:20am
I don't much care whether people follow the letter of the law (rules) regarding pets, but I want them to follow their spirit. If the rules say dogs need to be on a leash no longer than 6 feet, if you can keep your dog out of everyone's way in your campground with a 20 lead, I don't care.  If you don't pick up after your dog in the woods totally off the path, I don't care.  If you dog poops anywhere near my camping spot and I see you, we're likely to have a little conversation.

I've always had dogs, usually more than one at a time.  While we had two we opted to board them when we camped.  We were also camping in a tent at the time and really didn't have room for dogs in the car or tent.  We're down to one little dog now, a Jack Russell, and have the pod.  She's a great traveling companion and after a few trips with her I can't imagine not taking her now wherever we go.

I pick up after her, and she goes with us when we leave the campground.

I'm kind of stickler for campground rules.  We purposely camp at off-times, like going to the Smokies in January.  Even when we are the only ones in the campground we pretty much follow the rules.  (I've been known to run the generator all night when a tree wouldn't even make a sound when it fell though, but I figure the rules are mostly about respecting each others' peace and quiet anyway.)  It bothers me that many National Parks don't seem to have the budget for rangers or campground hosts who, if they exist at all, do anything about even flagrant rules violations, about pets, kids, or anything else.  I swear, you could get away with murder as long as you don't leave the body where someone will have to step over it, and sometimes even then.

Most campers are good people who do respect each others' peace and quiet, but there are some who are out for their own good time regardless of those around them, and there are some newbies who obviously don't know what's expected.  Pets are one of the easiest ways to annoy other people, but certainly not the only way!

We've been to Big Bend a couple of times and the same campground host was there both times at Chisos Basin.  He was exceptional.  He'd walk slowly through the campground at least twice a day, help people get set up, talk to those who wanted to talk or ask questions, and he talked to the people who needed talking to.  Everyone who didn't already know or care about the rules got polite little lessons.  It made the whole experience better for everyone I think.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Brin

I still find that I like my dog better than most people that I have met. 

I have a saying-  Dogs are the best people ever!

It is a pain traveling with dogs, especially in hot weather and the need to leave them in the car.
I designed and installed a system in both my tow vehicles where I can leave the vehicle running with the AC on, yet the key is not in it and it can't be driven if someone was bold/stupid enough to break in and try with with 2 50lb+ dogs in it.  I even have a sign I place on the dash with my cell number if there are any concerns about the dogs in the running truck.    Even so we never do this even for as much as one hour, usually to grab a lunch or something.
We also leave a handheld 2 way radio inside with the VOX on so if the dogs bark it keys the radio and we hear it.  Had some funny looks when dog barking suddenly started coming from the radio on my hipLOL

My wife was once livid when she came out of a Walmart to find an asian lady tapping on our truck window while our dogs were going berserk at her.  She wanted her child, who she was holding up to the truck window,  to see American dogs that were in our truck. Cry

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 7:56am
My Pod is sold, last month, alas. Alas for me, I am going to MISS camping, but good to have sold and to someone who REALLY wanted it, was pleased with the condition it was in, Happy Camping to them. suggested this site to them. One big family.
BUT , remarking on this about dogs. Good for you to have found a way for your dogs to go but be left in car. we always had dogs in the motorcoaches, anytime stopped(as to eat out on the road) we left the ac on for them. Would be interested (as a non-mechanical person) how you did the set up if I should find myself needing to use it. Note one of your dogs is a Labradoddle, son has one, just eat you up with kisses!
But the woman, tapping on the window to see AMERICAN dogs, LOL , how different are Asian dogs?
If we have our dog/dogs with us on a road trip, we have the worse diet of drive in food so as NOT, EVER, leave in car. Only in cold weather do we leave and then they have piles of blankets to cuddle in.
On my Facebook there is picture of smashed car window with the caption" this is what you will see if you have left an animal in the car on a hot day". In truth, call the police, stay with the car and file a complaint on the person with the car. of course, same goes for some nut head who has left a child in the car.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 7:58am
PS
My little schnauzer, Trudi, lived for 14 good years. She left us in February, waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:44am
Congrats on finding a good buyer, MM.  Maybe you can still get some camping in by renting a campground cabin?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>